Evaluation of Leasing as a Method of Funding Investments in Greek Agribusiness Sector
Funding for acquiring assets in Greek agribusiness sector is very common and supports Greek agribusiness SME's production. Purpose of this study is evaluation of leasing as a method of financing in order to acquire assets used directly in the production process of a business of secondary Greek agribusiness sector or even vertically integrated business. Thus, research was held in December of 2012, collecting proper data from Greek banking sector and considering Tax Legislation. Selection decision of practices financing in the event of such an investment should be made after taking into consideration several factors. Proper financial evaluation of future investment is necessary, while it's too necessary to be compared the financing choices that are given in Greece. Considering Tax Legislation, Banking Practices, and Law on Leasing, financing methods were compared in reference period. Avoiding generalizations, typical examples are given, showing that leasing preceded against borrowing, considering conditions prevailing in Greece at the time. But decision making for selection of financing method is affected by factors, which may lead to either correct or incorrect conclusions for firm's interests, if evaluation is not correct or there are personal interests of decision-makers in the administration. Consequently, incentives to use leasing for financing a business can be a lot, but quite important are ownership structure, nature of investment opportunities, business risk and tax status.(original abstract)
- Barclay, M. J. and Smith, C. W. Jr. (1995), The Priority Structure of Corporate Liabilities, Journal of Finance 7: 899-917.
- Bower, R. S. (1973), Issues in Lease Financing, Financial Management 1: 25-34.
- Brealey, R. and Young, C. (1980), Debt, Taxes and Leasing: A Note, Journal of Finance 12: 1245-1250.
- Brick, I. E., Fung, W. and Subrahmanyam, M. (1987), Leasing and Financial Intermediation: Comparative Tax Advantages, Financial Management 2: 55-59.
- Deloof, M. and Verschueren, I. (1999), Are Leases and Debt Substitutes? Evidence from Belgian Firms, Financial Management 3: 91-95.
- Eisfeldt, A. and Rampini, A. (2009), Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity, Rev. Financ. Stud. 22: 1621-1657.
- Finucane, T. J. (1988), Some Empirical Evidence on the Use of Financial Leases, Journal of Financial Research 4: 321-333.
- Flath, D. (1980), The Economics of Short-Term Leasing, Economic Inquiry, 4: 247-259.
- Gavazza, A. (2010), Asset liquidity and financial contracts: Evidence from aircraft leases, J. Fin. Econ. 95: 62-84.
- Gikas, G. and Hyz, A. (2000), Risk in Investment Appraisal, Studia Kupieckie, 2(6):57-69.
- Graham, J. R. and Leary, M. T. (2011), A Review of Empirical Capital Structure Research and Directions for the Future, Annual Review of Financial Economics 3: 309 -345.
- Jensen, M. C. and Meckling, W. H. (1976), Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure, Journal of Financial Economics 10: 305-360.
- Lewellen, W. G., Long, M. S. and McConnell, J. J. (1976), Asset Leasing and Competitive Capital Markets, Journal of Finance 6: 787-798.
- Marston, F. and Harris, R. S. (1988), Substitutability of Leases and Debt in Corporate Capital Structures, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance 2: 147-169.
- Miller, M. H. and Upton, C. W. (1976), Leasing, Buying and Cost of Capital Services, Journal of Finance 6: 761-786.
- Mehran, H., Taggart, R. A. and Yermack, D. (1999), CEO Ownership, Leasing and Debt Financing, Financial Management 3: 5-14.
- Myers, S. C., Dill, D. A. and Bautista, A. J. (1976), Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts, Journal of Finance 6: 799-820.
- Rampini, A. and Viswanathan, S. (2010), Collateral, risk management, and the distribution of debt capacity, J. Finance 65: 2293-2322.
- Rampini, A. and Viswanathan, V. (2010) Collateral and Capital Structure, Work. Pap., Duke Univ.
- Smith, C. W. and Wakeman, L. M. (1985), Determinants of Corporate Leasing Policy, Journal of Finance 7: 896-908.
- Vora, P. P. and Ezzell, J. R. (1991) Leasing vs. Purchasing: Direct Evidence on a Corporation's Motivations for Leasing and Consequences of Leasing, Pennsylvania State University, Working Paper, Vol. 3.
- Williamson, O. E. (1988), Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance, Journal of Finance 7: 567-591.
- Zaridis, A. D. (1996) The impact of Common Agricultural Structural Policy on agriculture in Prefecture of Ioannina, Thesis, Agricultural University of Athens, Athens.
- Zaridis, A. D. (2000) Evaluation of financial leasing as a financing method, Master thesis, A.U.A., Athens.