Business-Oriented Research Professionals-Empirical Results for Academics' Interdisciplinarity and Their Collaboration with Enterprises
The aim of the paper is to present profiles of scientists and research professionals who perform activities in favour of business. Characteristics of academics with reference to their scientific achievements, professional recognition and scientific interdisciplinarity are presented. Profiles are created on the basis of analyses of empirical results collected from the survey taken among academic society. It is possible to compare profiles of researchers working for business sector to these who are eager to cooperate with companies. Characteristics concerning individual scientists refer to their age, gender, scientific degree and affiliation, together with the discipline in which they perform their scientific activities. The following study is the part of the project aimed at investigation of Polish scientific community, with reference to interdisciplinarity in research fields and performance of Polish scientists. Analyses have been focused on studying relations between interdisciplinarity of research and successes of Polish scientists achieved at national level. The core idea of the given analyses is to identify and try to measure relations between business and scientific activities. It is suggested that academics collaborating with enterprises are producing more voluble research and publications. These scientists are also appreciated as scientific professionals by academic society. Finally, researchers supporting enterprises with scientific knowledge and expertise present higher level of interdisciplnarity in their research. (original abstract)
- National Information Processing Institute
- National Information Processing Institute
- Agrawal A. 2001 University-to-Industry Knowledge Transfer: Literature Review and Unanswered Questions, "International Journal of Management Reviews", 3.
- Bird B. J., Allen D. N. 1989 Faculty Entrepreneurship in Research University Environments, "The Journal of Higher Education", Vol. 60, No. 5 (Sep. - Oct.).
- Clark B. R. 1998 Creating Entrepreneurial Universities: Organisational Pathways of Transformation, published for the IAU Press by Pergamon Press.
- Collier A., Gray B. 2010 The Commercialisation of University Innovations - A Qualitative Analysis of the New Zeabnd Situation, Centre for Entrepreneurship School of Business University of Otago, Research report.
- Cook T., Dwek T. R., Blumberg B., Hockaday T. 2008 Commercialising University Research: Threats and Opportunities - The Oxford Model, "Capitalism and Society". Vol. 3, Is. 1, Article 4.
- D'Este P., Perkmann M. 2011 Why Do Academics Engage with Industry? The Entrepreneurial University and Individual Motivations, "The Journal of Technology Transfer", 36(3).
- Duberley J., Cohen L., Leeson E. 2007 Entrepreneurial Academics: Developing Scientific Careers in Changing University Settings, "Higher Education Quarterly", Vol. 61, No. 4, October.
- Etzkowitz H. 2008 The Triple Helix. University - Industry - Government, Innovation in Action, Routledge, London.
- Etzkowitz H., Leydesdorff L. 2000 The Dynamics of Innovation: From National System and 'Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of University-Industry-Government Relations, "Research Policy' 29.
- Etzkowitz H. 2004 The Evolution of the Entrepreneurial University, "Int. J. Technology and Globalisation", Vol. 1, No.1.
- Gibb A., Haskins G., Robertson I. 2013 Leading the Entrepreneurial University: Meeting the Entrepreneurial Development Needs of Higher Education Institutions, [in:] Universities in Change, Springer, New York.
- Gibb A., Haskins G., Hannon P., Robertson I. 2012 Leading the Entrepreneurial University: Meeting the Entrepreneurial Development Needs of Higher Education (2009, updated 2012).
- Hagen S. 2008 From Tech Transfer to Knowledge Exchange: European Universities in the Marketplace, Wenner-Gren International Series, 84.
- Higher Education Act 2005, Journal of Laws 2012, Item. 572, as amended.
- Kijeńska-Dąbrowska I. 2011 The Roles of Public R&D Entities [in:] Modern Society Innovative Potential in the Dynamic Knowledge-Based Economy, Konwledge and Innovation Institute, Cracow, pp.72- 97.
- Kim Y., Kim W., Yang T. 2012 The Effect of the Triple Helix System and Habitat on Regional Entrepreneurship: Empirical Evidence from the US, "Research Policy", 41 (1).
- Knapińska A., Tomczyńska A. 2013 Competences of Polish Scientists as a Contribution to the Success of Innovation Research and Development Projects, [in:] Innovations and Knowledge Commercialization. Cooperative Resources, Integrated Science and Business, Centrum Transferu Technologii Uniwersytetu Łódzkiego, Łódź.
- Lehrera M., Nell P., Gärber L. 2009 A National Systems View of University Entrepreneurialism: Inferences from Comparison of the German and US Experience, "Research Policy", 38.
- Leydesdorff L., Meyer M. 2003 The Triple Helix of University - Industry - Government Relations, "Scientometrics", Vol. 58, No. 2.
- Leydesdorff L., Rafols I. 2011 Indicators of the Interdisciplinarity of Journals: Diversity, Centrality, and Citations, "Journal of Informetrics", 5.
- Meyer L. H., Evans I. M. 2007 Supporting Academic Staff: Meeting New Expectations in Higher Education without Compromising Traditional Faculty Values, "Higher Education Policy", Vol. 20.
- Mohrman K. et al. 2008 The Research University in Transition: The Emerging Global Model, "Higher Education Policy" 21.
- Mosey S., Noke H., Binks M. 2012 The Influence of Human and Social Capital upon the Entrepreneurial Intentions and Destinations of Academics, "Technology Analysis & Strategic Management", 24(9).
- Philpott K., Dooley L., O'Reilly C., Lupton G. 2011 The Entrepreneurial University: Examining the Underlying Academic Tensions, "Technovation", 31(4).
- Science Funding Act 2010, Journal of Laws 96, Item 615, as amended.
- Van Looy B., Landoni P., Callaert J., van Pottelsberghe B., Sapsalis E., Debackere K 2011 Entrepreneurial Effectiveness of European Universities: An Empirical Assessment of Antecedents and Trade-offs, "Research Policy" 40(4).
- Van Vught F., Kaiser F., File J. M., Gaethjens C., Peter R., Westerheijden F. 2010 U-Map: The European Classification of Higher Education Institutions, CHEPS, Enschede, Netherlands.