Eco-Labelling as a Tool of CSR : Opportunities and Threats
Corporate Social Responsibility is a concept which, although it is developing for many years, it is constantly improved in both terms - theoretical and practical. In theory area are creating new definitions and new areas for action shots and in practice area are sought new instruments that could be used in pro-social activities. In this way, more and more expanding a set of tools that are available for socially responsible companies. In this article will be discuss the eco-labeling, which is an instrument belonging to the traditional set of activities in the framework of CSR. Eco-labeling is relatively poorly described issue in literature. In practical area, we can also find deficiencies. Analyzing the areas of corporate social responsibility calculated by ISO 26000, eco-labeling can be included into the area of the environment, fair operating practices and consumer issues. This shows how multi-dimensional issue is the use of eco-labeling. This fact creates the possibility of assessing this practices of different points of view - companies , consumers and the environment. The purpose of this article is to identify opportunities and risks associated with the use of ecolabelling as a tool of CSR. In this article the authors will show that the activity in the area of eco-labeling not only builds the image of a socially responsible company, but also translates to specific business benefits. In addition, the authors will attempt to assess the proportion of customers for products marked with eco-labeling. Analysis of the problem will be based on the available literature in the field of corporate social responsibility, marketing, sustainable development and environmental protection. (original abstract)
- Allaire Y., Firsirotu M. 2000 Myślenie strategiczne, PWN, Warszawa.
- Atănăsoaie G. S. 2013 Eco-Label and its Role in the Development of Organic Products Market, "Economy Transdisciplinarity Cognition", Vol. 16, Issue 1.
- Bostrom M., Klintman M. 2011 Eco- Standards, Product Labeling and Green Consumerism, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- Canadian Democracy and Corporate Accountability Commission, 2001, An Overview of Issues.
- Carnegie A. 1933 The Gospel of Wealth, Garden City.
- Carroll A. B. 1982 A Three-Dimensinal Conceptual Model of Corporate Perfomance, [in:] W.R. Allen, L.K. Bragaw, Social Forces and the Manager. Readings and Cases, John Wiley& Sons, New York (et al.).
- Cooper T., Ludlow M., Clift T. 2012 Examining the Role of Eco-Labels in Changing the Approach to Sustainability in the Commercial Fisheries, Greener Management International, Issue 57.
- Dočekalová M., Straková J. 2011 The Influence of the Eco- Labelling on Consumer Behavior in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, "Economics and Management", 16,.
- Electronic document, access mode: [file:///C:/Users/Enigma/Downloads/COM_ 2013_196_PL_ACTE_f.pdf, retrieved: 14.10. 2014].
- Electronic document, access mode: [http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/flash/fl_367_ sum_ en.pdf, retrived: 11.10.2014].
- Electronic document, access mode: [http://ecodialog.pl/sites/default/files/discovering_ iso_26000PL.pdf, retrieved: 15.10.2014].
- Electronic document, access mode: [http://www.26k- estimation.com/html/user_ guides_iso_ 26000.html