Benefit of the Doubt Model for Financial Risk Analysis of Lithuanian Family Farms
The aim of this research is to propose a methodology for integrated assessment of financial risks of family farms in Lithuania. The methodology is based on the benefit of the doubt model. The research relies on the farm-level data from Farm Accountancy Data Network and covers the period of 2004-2011. Multiple financial indicators are included in the model to encompass such features as returns, capital structure, cost of capital, and cash flows. The research focuses on the four main types of farming prevailing in Lithuania, viz. cereal farming, general field cropping, dairying, and mixed field crops - grazing livestock farming. The results show that the financial risk generally increased in Lithuanian family farms during 2004-2011. However, a rebound has been observed in the period since 2009. This might be related to investment decisions and subsequent modernisation. Cereal farms face the highest financial risk, whereas dairy farms are the least exposed to them. (original abstract)
- Altman, E. (1968), Financial ratios, discriminant analysis and the prediction of corporate bankruptcy, Journal of Finance, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 589-609.
- Altman, E. (2004), Predicting corporate distress in a turbulent economic and regulatory environment, Rassegna Economica, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 483-524.
- Argilés, J. M. (2001), Accounting information and the prediction of farm non-viability, European Accounting Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 73-105.
- Bardsley, P., Harris, M. (1987), An approach to the econometric estimation of attitudes to risk in agriculture, Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 31, No. 02, pp. 112-126.
- Bar-Shira, Z., Just, R. E., Zilberman, D. (1997), Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 17, pp. 211-222.
- Bernat, T., Gasior, A., Korpysa, J., Lakomy-Zinowik, M., Nagaj, R., & Szkudlarek, P. (2014), Perception of the Risk of Starting up Business and Personal Attitude to Risk. Transformations in Business & Economics, 13(2B), 780-800
- Bilan, Y., Chmielewska, B. (2013a), Diversified Economic and Social Situation of Farms of the European Union as a Determinant of the Rural Areas Growth Policy, Actual Problems of Economics, 2 (10), pp. 213-221.
- Bilan, Y., Chmielewska, B.(2013b), Strategic challenge for farming and rural areas in relation to small and semi-subsistence farms, Actual Problems of Economics, 2 (1-2), pp. 116-124.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., Rhodes, E. (1981), Evaluating program and managerial efficiency: an application of data envelopment analysis to program follow through, Management Science, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 668-697.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., Rhodes, E. (1978), Measuring the efficiency of decision making units, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 429-444.
- Cherchye, L., Moesen, W., Rogge, N., van Puyenbroeck, T. (2007), An introduction to 'benefit of the doubt' composite indicators, Social Indicators Research, Vol. 82, pp. 111-145.
- Davidova, S., Latruffe, L. (2007), Relationships between technical efficiency and financial management for Czech Republic farms, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 269-288.
- Farrell, M. J. (1957), The measurement of technical efficiency, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, General, Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 253-281.
- Gomez-Limon, J. A., Arriaza, M., Riesgo, L. (2003), An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 151, pp. 569-585.
- Girdziute, L., Slavickiene, A., & Vaitkevicius, S. (2014), Integrated Risk Assessment at Lithuanian Farms. Transformations in Business & Economics, 13(1), 143-154
- Hardaker, J. B., Huirne, R., Anderson, J. R., Lien, G. (2004), Coping with Risk in Agriculture, CABI Publishing.
- Hsu, L. C. (2015), Using a decision-making process to evaluate efficiency and operating performance for listed semiconductor companies, Technological and Economic Development of Economy, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 301-331.
- Huirne, R. B. M., Meuwissen, M., Hardacker, J. B., Anderson, J. R. (2000), Risk and risk management in agriculture: an overview and empirical results, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, Vol. 1, pp. 125-136.
- Jackson-Smith, D., Trechter, D., Splett, N. (2004), The contribution of financial management training and knowledge to dairy farm financial performance, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 26(1), pp. 132-147.
- Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Lithuania (2015), Rural Development Programme for Lithuania 2007-2013.
- Moschini, G., Hennessy, D. A. (2001), Uncertainty, risk aversion, and risk management for agricultural producers, Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 1, pp. 88-153.
- OECD (2009), Managing Risk in Agriculture: A Holistic Approach, Paris: OECD.
- Rogge, N. (2011), Granting teachers the "benefit of the doubt" in performance evaluations, International Journal of Educational Management, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 590-614.