Benchmarking Supplier Development : an Empirical Case Study of Validating a Framework to Improve Buyer-Supplier Relationship
In today's dynamic business environment, firms are required to utilize efficiently and effectively all the useful resources to gain competitive advantage. Supplier development has evolved as an important strategic instrument to improve buyer supplier relationships. For that reason, this study focuses on providing the strategic significance of supplier development approaches to improve business relationships. By using qualitative research method, an integrated framework of supplier development and buyer-supplier relationship development has been tested and validated in a Finnish case company to provide empirical evidence. It particularly investigates how supplier development approaches can develop buyer-supplier relationships. The study present a set of propositions that identify significant supplier development approaches critical for the development of buyer-supplier relationships and develop a theoretical framework that specifies how these different supplier development approaches support in order to strengthen the relationships. The results are produced from an in-depth case study by implementing the proposed research framework. The findings reveal that supplier development strategies i.e., supplier incentives and direct involvements strongly effect in developing buyer-supplier relationships. Further research may focus on considering in-depth investigation of trust and communication factors along with propositions developed in the study to find out general applicability in dynamic business environment. Proposed integrated framework along with propositions is a unique combination of useful solutions for tactical and strategic management's decision making and also valid for academic researchers to develop supplier development theories. (original abstract)
-  Krause D.R., Scanneil T.V., Supplier development practices: product- and service-based industry comparisons, The Journal of Supply Chain Management, 38, 2, 13-21, 2002.
-  Krause D.R., Supplier development: current practices and outcomes, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 33, 2, 12-19, 1997.
-  Sillanpaa I., Shahzad K., Sillanpää E., Supplier development and buyer-supplier relationship strategies - a literature review, International Journal of Procurement Management, 8, 1, 227-250, 2015.
-  Modi S.B., Mabert V.A., Supplier development: improving supplier performance through knowledge transfer, Journal of Operations Management, 25, 1, 42-64, 2007.
-  Krause D.R., Ellram L.M., Critical elements of supplier development: the buying-firm perspective, European Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 3, 1, 21-31, 1997.
-  Lintukangas K., Supplier relationship management capability in global supply management, International Journal of Procurement Management, 4, 1, 1-19, 2011.
-  Sucky E., Durst S.M., Supplier development: current status of empirical research, International Journal of Procurement Management, 6, 1, 92-127, 2013.
-  Hartley J.L., Choi T.Y., Supplier development: customers as a catalyst of process change, Business Horizons, 39, 4, 37-44, 1996.
-  Krause D.R., Ellram L.M., Success factors in supplier development, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 27, 1, 3952, 1997.
-  Li W., Humphreys P.K., Yeung A.C., Cheng T.C.E., The impact of supplier development on buyer com petitive advantage: A path analytic model, International Journal of Production Economics, 135, 1, 353-366, 2012.
-  Watts C.A., Hahn C.K., Supplier development programs: an empirical analysis, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 29, 2, 1117, 1993.
-  Lieberman M., Asaba S., Inventory reduction and productivity growth: a comparison of Japanese and US automotive sectors, Managerial and Decision Economics, 18, 73-85, 1997.
-  Loppacher J.S., Cagliano R., Spina G., Key drivers of buyer-supplier relationships in global sourcing strategies, International Journal of Procurement Management, 4, 2, 156-180, 2011.
-  Krause D.R., The antecedents of buying firm's efforts to improve suppliers, Journal of Operations Management, 17, 2, 205-224, 1999.
-  Leenders M.R., Supplier development, Journal of Purchasing, 2, 4, 47-62, 1966.
-  Pfeffer J., Salancik G.R., The External Control of Organizations: A Resource Dependence Perspective, Harper & Row, Stanford University Press, 1978.
-  Thompson J.D., Organizations in Action: Social Science Bases of Administrative, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1967.
-  Humphreys P.K., Shiu W.K., Chan F.T.S., Collaborative buyer-supplier relationships in Hong Kong manufacturing firms, Supply Chain Management, 6, 4, 152-162, 2001.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Tyler B.B., The relationships between supplier development, commitment, social capital accumulation and performance improvement, Journal of Operations Management, 25, 2, 528-545, 2007.
-  Krause D.R., Scannell T.V., Calantone R.J., A structural analysis of the effectiveness of buying firms' strategies to improve supplier performance, Decision Sciences, 31, 1, 33-54, 2000.
-  Wagner S.M., Krause D.R., Supplier development: communication approaches, activities and goals, International Journal of Production Research, 47, 12, 3161-3171, 2009.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Scannell, T.V., An empirical investigation of supplier development: Reactive and strategic processes, Journal of Operations Management, 17, 1, 39-58, 1998.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Developing a World-Class Supply Base, Center for Advanced Purchasing Studies, Tempe, AZ, 1999.
-  Handfield R.B., Krause D.R., Scannell T.V., Moncz-ka R.M., Avoid the pitfalls in supplier development, Sloan Management Review, 41, 2, 37 -49, 2000.
-  Routroy S., Pradhan S.K., Evaluating the critical success factors of supplier development: a case study, Benchmarking: An International Journal, 20, 3, 322-341, 2013.
-  Hahn C.K., Watts C.A., Kim K.Y., The supplier development program: a conceptual model, Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 26, 2, 2-7, 1990.
-  Monczka R.M., Trent R.J., Callahan T.J., Supply base strategies to maximize supplier performance, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 23, 4, 42-54, 1993.
-  Araz C., Ozkarahan I., Supplier evaluation and management system for strategic sourcing based on a new multicriteria sorting procedure, International Journal of Production Economics, 106, 2, 585-606, 2007.
-  Choy K.L., Lee W.B., Lo V., Development of a case based intelligent customer - supplier relationship management system,, Expert Systems with Applications, 23, 3, 281-297, 2002.
-  Song M., Di Benedetto C.A., Supplier's involvement and success of radical new product development in new ventures, Journal of Operations Management, 26, 1, 1-22, 2008.
-  Hammami R., Temponi C., Frein Y., A scenario-based stochastic model for supplier selection in global context with multiple buyers, currency fluctuation uncertainties, and price discounts, European Journal of Operational Research, 233, 1, 159-170, 2014.
-  Ho W., Xu X., Dey P.K., Multi-criteria decision m,a,ki,n,g approaches for supplier evaluation and selection: A literature review, European Journal of Operational Research, 202, 1, 16-24, 2010.
-  Fawcett S.E., Magnan G.M., McCarter M.W., Benefits, barriers, and bridges to effective supply chain management, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 13, 1, 35-48, 2008.
-  Handfield R.B., Nichols E.L., Supply chain redesign: Transforming supply chains into integrated value systems, FT Press, 2002.
-  Wynstra F., Ten Pierick E., Managing supplier involvement in new product development: A portfolio approach, European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 6, 1, 49-57, 2000.
-  Imeri S., Key Performance Criteria for Vendor Selection - A Literature Review, Management Research and Practice, 5, 2, 63-75, 2013.
-  Carr A.S., Pearson J.N., Strategically managed buyer-supplier relationships and performance outcomes, Journal of Operations Management, 17, 5, 497-519, 1999.
-  Harland C.M., Supply chain management: relationships chains and networks, British Journal of Management 7, 1, 63-80, 1996.
-  Giunipero L.C., Motivating and monitoring JIT supplier performance, Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 26, 3, 19-24, 1990.
-  Dyer J.F., Ouchi W.G., Japanese style partnership: giving companies a competitive advantage, Sloan Management Review, 35 1, 51-63, 1993.
-  Tezuka H., Success as the source of failure? Competition and cooperation in the Japanese economy, Sloan Management Review, 38, 2, 83-93, 1997.
-  Spekman R.E., Strategic supplier selection: Understanding long-term buyer relationships, Business Horizons, 31, 4, 75-81, 1988.
-  Richardson J., Roumasset J., Sole sourcing, competitive sourcing, parallel sourcing: mechanisms for supplier performance, Managerial and Decision Economic, 16, 1, 71-84, 1995.
-  Ghijsen P.W.T., Semeijn J., Ernstson S., Supplier satisfaction and commitment: the role of influence strategies and supplier development, Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 16, 1, 17-26, 2010.
-  Dyer J.H., Specialized, supplier networks as a source of competitive advantage: evidence from the auto industry, Strategic Management Journal, 17, 4, 271291, 1996.
-  Williamson O.E., The economics of organization: the transaction cost approach, American Journal of Sociology, 87, 3, 548-577, 1981.
-  Williamson O.E., The Economic Institutions of Capitalism: Firms, Markets, Relational Contracting, Free Press, 866 Third Avenue, New York, NY, 10022, 1985.
-  Humphreys P.K., Li W.L., Chan L.Y., The impact of supplier development on buyer-supplier performance, Omega, 32, 2, 131-143, 2004.
-  Sanchez-Rodriguez C., Martinez-Lorente A.R., Quality management practices in the purchasing function: an empirical study, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 24, 7, 666-687, 2004.
-  Joshi A.W., Stump R.L., The contingent effect of specific asset investments on joint action in manufacturer-supplier relationships: an empirical test of the moderating role of reciprocal asset investments, uncertainty, and trust, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 27, 3, 291-305, 1999.
-  Newman R.G., Rhee K.A., A case study ofNUMMI and its suppliers, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 26, 4, 15-20, 1990.
-  Stuart F.I., McCutcheon D., Problem sources in establishing strategic supplier alliances, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 31, 1, 3-9, 1995.
-  Heide J.B., John G., Alliances in industrial purchasing: the determinants of joint action in buyer-supplier relationships, Journal of Marketing Research (JMR), 27, 1, 24-36, 1990.
-  Wagner S.M., Supplier development practices: an exploratory study, European Journal of Marketing, 40, 5-6, 554-571, 2006.
-  Hunter L., Beaumont P., Sinclair D., A 'partnership' route to human resource management?, Journal of Management Studies, 33, 2, 235-257, 1996.
-  Dyer J.H., NobeokaK., Creating and m,a,n,a,gi,n,g high performance knowledge sharing networks: the Toyota case, Strategic Management Journal, 21, 3, 345368, 2000.
-  Terpend R., Tyler, B.B., Krause, D.R., Handfield, R.B., Buyer-supplier relationships: derived value over two decades, Journal of Supply Chain Management, 44, 2, 28- 55, 2008.
-  Ellram L.M., Liu B., The financial impact of supply management, Supply Chain Management Review, 6, 6, 30-37, 2002.
-  Frohlich M.T., Westbrook R., Dem,a,n,d chain management in manufacturing and services: web-based integration, drivers and performance, Journal of Operations Management, 20, 6, 729-745, 2002.
-  Narasimhan R., Kim S.W., Effect of supply chain integration on the relationship between diversification and performance: evidence from Japanese and Korean firms, Journal of Operations Management, 20, 3, 303-323, 2002.
-  Rosenzweig E.D., Roth A.V., Dean Jr. J.W., The influence of an integration strategy on competitive capabilities and business performance: an exploratory study of consumer products manufacturers, Journal of Operations Management, 21, 4, 437-456, 2003.
-  Droge C., Jayaram J., Vickery S.K., The effects of internal versus external integration practices on time-based performance and overall firm performance, Journal of Operations Management, 22, 6, 557-573, 2004.
-  Petersen K.J., Ragatz G.L., Monczka R.M., An examination of collaborative planning effectiveness and supply chain performance, Journal of Supply Chain Management, 41, 2, 14-25, 2005.
-  Tracey M., A holistic approach to new product development: new insights, Journal of Supply Chain Management, 40, 4, 37-55, 2004.
-  Petersen K.J., Handfield R.B., Ragatz G.L., Supplier integration into new product development: coordinating product, process and supply chain design, Journal of Operations Management, 23, 3-4, 371388, 2005.
-  Liker J.K., Choi T.Y., Building deep supplier relationships, Harvard Business Review, 82, 12, 104113, 2004.
-  Prahinski C., Benton W.C., Supplier evaluations: communication strategies to improve supplier performance, Journal of Operations Management, 22, 1, 39-62, 2004.
-  Yin R.K., Case Study Research: Applied social research methods series, Publications S, ed. Beverly Hills, 1994.
-  Eisenhardt K.M., Building theories from case study research, Academy of Management Review, 14, 4, 532-550, 1989.
-  Eisenhardt K.M., Graebner M.E., Theory building from cases: opportunities and challenges, Academy of Management Journal, 50, 1, 25-32, 2007.
-  Bonoma T.V., Case research in marketing: opportunities, problems, and a process, Journal of Marketing Research, 199-208, 1985.
-  Ghauri P., Designing and conducting case studies in international business research, Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods for International Business, 109-24, 2004.
-  Yin R.K., Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Sage Publications, Print, 2003.
-  Burrell G., Morgan G., Sociological paradigms and organizational analysis: Elements of the sociology of corporate life, London: Heinemann, 1979.
-  Ghauri P., Gr0nhaug K., Research methods in business studies: A practical guide (3rd ed. ed.), Harlow: Financial Times Prentice Hall, 2005.
-  Glaser B.G., Strauss A.L., The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research, Transaction Publishers, 2009.
-  Eisenhardt K.M., Better stories and better constructs: The case for rigor and comparative logic, Academy of Management Review, 16, 3, 620-627, 1991.
-  Bryman A., Qualitative research on leadership: A critical but appreciative review, The Leadership Quarterly, 15, 6, 729-769, 2004.
-  Miles M.B., Huberman A.M., Qualitative data analysis: A sourcebook of new methods. In Qualitative data analysis: a sourcebook of new methods; Qualitative data analysis: a sourcebook of new methods. Sage publications, 1984.
-  McCutcheon D.M., Meredith J.R., Conducting case study research in operations management, Journal of Operations Management, 11, 3, 239-256, 1993.
-  Hill C.E., Thompson B.J., Williams E.N., A guide to conducting consensual qualitative research, The Counselling Psychologist, 25, 4, 517-572, 1997.
-  Lettice F., Wyatt C., Evans S., Buyer-supplier partnerships during product design and development in the global automotive sector: who invests, in what and when?, International Journal of Production Economics, 127, 2, 309-319, 2010.
-  MacDuffie J., Helper S., Creating lean suppliers: Diffusing lean production through the supply chain,, California Management Review, 39, 4, 118-151, 1997.