Utilization of Single Whole Body Vibration Training Unit in Rehabilitation of Elderly Patients with Neurological Disorders
-Whole body vibration (WBV) techniques are increasingly applied in rehabilitation processes to improve patients' functional mobility. Therapeutic usage of WBV reported enhanced muscular strength, power or even bone density. Therefore, the purpose of our study was to investigate immediate response of single WBV training unit on mobility of elderly patients with neurological disorders. Nineteen patients (66.74 ± 3.65 years, 6 males and 13 females) were assessed before WBV (10 min, 30 Hz, vertical 2 mm) and then 1 min afterwards. Individual changes in gait kinematics indicated positive effects of WBV, while kinematics of the gait was more symmetric considering right and left side. Individually, depending on the disease's severity, these changes were more or less significant. The improvements in gait kinematics convinced us that WBV can be carefully used in patients' therapy and it may be used together with individually planed rehabilitation processes to bring more satisfying results. (original abstract)
- S. Rogan, R. Hilfiker, K. Herren, L. Radlinger, E.D. De Bruin, "Effects of whole-body vibration on postural control in elderly: A systematic review and meta-analysis", BMC Geriatric, 2011, 11, art. no. 72, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2318-11-72.
- M. Sitjà-Rabert, M.J. Martínez-Zapata, A. Fort-Vanmeerhaeghe, F. Rey-Abella, D. Romero-Rodríguez, X. Bonfill, X. "Whole body vibration for older persons: an open randomized, multicentre, parallel, clinical trial", BMC geriatrics, 2011, 11, p.89, DOI: 10.1186/1471- 2318-11-89.
- N. Shibata, K. Ishimatsu, S. Maeda, S. "Gender difference in subjective response to whole-body vibration under standing posture", International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 2012, 85 (2), pp. 171-179, DOI: 10.1007/s00420-011-0657-0.
- B.D. Pozo-Cruz, J.C. Adsuar, J.A. Parraca, J.D. Pozo-Cruz, P.R. Olivares, N. Gusi, N. "Using whole-body vibration training in patients affected with common neurological diseases: A systematic literature review", Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2012, 18 (1), pp. 29-41, DOI: 10.1089/acm.2010.0691.
- R.W.K. Lau, T. Teo, F. Yu, R.C.K. Chung, M.Y.C. Pang, "Effects of whole-body vibration on sensorimotor performance in people with parkinson disease: A systematic review", Physical Therapy, 2011, 91 (2), pp. 198-209, DOI: 10.2522/ptj.20100071.
- R.D. Pollock, S. Provan, F.C. Martin, D.J. Newham, "The effects of whole body vibration on balance, joint position sense and cutaneous sensation", European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2011, 111 (12), pp. 3069-3077, DOI: 10.1007/s00421-011-1943-y.
- S.A. Moussavi-Najarkola, A. Khavanin, R. Mirzaei, M. Salehnia, M. Akbari, "Effects of whole body vibration on outer hair cells' hearing response to distortion product otoacoustic emissions", In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology - Animal, 2012, 48 (5), pp. 276- 283, DOI: 10.1007/s11626-012-9490-3.
- T. Furness, N. Bate, L. Welsh, G. Naughton, C. Lorenzen, C. "Efficacy of a whole-body vibration intervention to effect exercise tolerance and functional performance of the lower limbs of people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease", BMC Pulmonary Medicine, 2012, 12, art. no. 71, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2466-12-71.
- J. Majernik, J. Zivcak, "Effect of Whole Body Vibration on Functional Mobility in Elderly Patients", Acta Mechanica Slovaca, Vol. 17 (3), 2013, ISSN 1335-2393, pp. 64-69.
- R. Mani, S. Milosavljevic, S. J. Sullivan, "The effect of occupational whole-body vibration on standing balance: A systematic review", Int. Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 2010, 40 (6), pp. 698-709, DOI: 10.1016/j.ergon.2010.05.009.
- S. Maeda, N. J. Mansfield, N. Shibata, "Evaluation of subjective responses to whole-body vibration exposure: Effect of frequency content", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 2008, 38 (5- 6), pp. 509-515, DOI: 10.1016/j.ergon.2007.08.013.
- B. R. Santos, Ch. Lariviere, A. Delisle, A. Plamondon, P.-E. Boileau, D. Imbeau, "A laboratory study to quantify the biomechanical responses to whole-body vibration: The influence on balance, reflex response, muscular activity and fatigue", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 2008, 38 (7-8), pp. 626-639, DOI: 10.1016/j.ergon.2008.01.015.
- M. Cardinale, J. Wakeling, "Whole body vibration exercise: are vibrations good for you?", Br J Sports Med, 2005, 39 (9), pp. 585- 589, DOI:10.1136/bjsm.2005.016857.
- ] K. H. Madou, J. B. Cronin, "The effects of whole body vibration on physical and physiological capability in special populations", Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal, 2008, 26, pp. 24-38, DOI: 10.1016/S1013-7025(09)70005-3.
- R.. D. Prisby, M. Lafage-Proust, L. Malaval, A. Belli, L. Vico, "Effects of whole body vibration on the skeleton and other organ systems in man and animal models: What we know and what we need to know", Ageing Research Reviews, 2008, 7 (4), pp. 319-329, DOI: 10.1016/j.arr.2008.07.004.
- S.F. Baumbach, M. Fasser, H. Polzer, M. Sieb, M., Regauer, W. Mutschler, M. Schieker, M. Blauth, "Study protocol: The effect of whole body vibration on acute unilateral unstable lateral ankle spraina biphasic randomized controlled trial", BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2013, p22, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2474-14-22.
- L. Slatkovska, S.M.H.. Alibhai, J. Beyene, H. Hu, A. Demaras, A.M. Cheung, "Effect of 12 months of whole-body vibration therapy on bone density and structure in postmenopausal women: A randomized trial", Annals of Internal Medicine, 2011, 155 (10), pp. 668-679, DOI: 10.7326/0003-4819-155-10-201111150-00005.
- M. Cerny and M. Penhaker, "Wireless Body Sensor Network in Health Maintenance Systems", Elektronika Ir Elektrotechnika, 2011, (9), pp. 113-116, DOI: 10.5755/j01.eee.115.9.762.
- J.O. Totosy de Zepetnek, L.M. Giangregorio, B.C. Craven, "Wholebody vibration as potential intervention for people with low bone mineral density and osteoporosis: A review", Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 2009, 46 (4), pp. 529-542, DOI: 10.1682/JRRD.2008.09.0136.
- D. Macura, A. Macurova, A. "Bounded solutions of the nonlinear differential systems", International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 2011, 70 (5), pp. 755-760.
- M. Claerbout, B. Gebara, S. Ilsbroukx, S. Verschueren, K. Peers, P. Van Asch, P. Feys, "Effects of 3 weeks' whole body vibration training on muscle strength and functional mobility in hospitalized persons with multiple sclerosis", Multiple Sclerosis, 2012, 18 (4), pp. 498-505, DOI: 10.1177/1352458511423267.
- E.G. Artero, J.C. Espada-Fuentes, J. Argüelles-Cienfuegos, A. Román, P.J. Gómez-López, A. Gutiérrez, "Effect of whole-body vibration and resistance training on knee extensors muscular performance", European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2012, 112 (4), pp. 1371- 1378, DOI: 10.1007/s00421-011-2091-0.
- V. Kasik, M. Penhaker, V. Novak, R. Bridzik, J. Krawiec, "User Interactive Biomedical Data Web Services Application", ETechnologies and Networks for Development. vol. 171, J. J. Yonazi, E. Sedoyeka, E. Ariwa, and E. ElQawasmeh, Eds., ed, 2011, pp. 223-237, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-22729-5_19.
- C. Milanese, F. Piscitelli, C. Simoni, R. Pugliarello, C. Zancanaro, "Effects of whole-body vibration with or without localized radiofrequency on anthropometry, body composition, and motor performance in young nonobese women", Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2012, 18 (1), pp. 69-75, DOI: 10.1089/acm.2010.0324.
- ] A. Sonza, Ch. Maurer, M. Achaval, M. A. Zaro, B. M. Nigg, "Human cutaneous sensors on the sole of the foot: Altered sensitivity and recovery time after whole body vibration", Neuroscience Letters, 2013, 533 (1), pp. 81- 85, DOI: 10.1016/j.neulet.2012.11.036.
- J. Majerník, "Reconstruction of Human Motion Trajectories to Support Human Gait Analysis in Free Moving Subjects", In: Pancerz,K. and Zaitseva,E.: Computational Intelligence, Medicine and Biology; Studies in Computational Intelligence, 2015, 600, pp. 57-77, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-16844-9_4.