Entrepreneurial Orientation in Family Firms - Management and Intercultural Development
This paper has taken an insight to the systemic models of family business from the open systems perspective. I focus on family business system models and on the subsystems content of family system and ownership system in family business context. The paper claim that the open system perspective on intercultural family businesses has both theoretical and empirical implications on family business research. Family businesses have many reasons, including family conflicts over money, nepotism leading to wrong management, and infighting over the succession of power from one generation to the other. Regulating the family's roles as shareholders, board members, and managers is very important because it can help avoid these pitfalls. This paper will discuss the importance of the openness of the company through five the attributes of enduring family businesses: ownership, family, business and portfolio governance, wealth management, foundation. Dimension of attributes success have taken family business like five jewelers. (original abstract)
- Ashmos D.P., Huber G.P. (1987) 'The Systems Paradigm in Organization Theory: Correcting the Record and Suggesting the Future', Academy of Management Review 12(4), pp.610-621.
- Bartholomeusz S., Tanewski G.A. (2006) 'The Relationship between Family Firms and Corporate Governance', Journal of Small Business Management 44(2), pp. 245-267.
- Carney M. (2005) 'Corporate Governance and Competitive Advantage in Family-controlled Firms', Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice 29(3), pp. 249-260.
- Chrisman J.J., Chua J.H., Pearson A.W., Barnett T. (2010) 'Family Involvement, Family Influence, and Family-centered Non-economic Goals in Small Firms', Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 34, pp.1045-1050.
- Chrisman J.J., Chua J.H., Steier L.P. (2003) 'An Introduction to Theories of Family Business', Journal of Business Venturing 18(4), pp. 441-448.
- Chrisman J.J., Chua J.H., Litz R. (2003) 'A Unified Systems Perspective of Family Firm Performance: An Extension and Integration', Journal of Business Venturing 18(4), pp. 470-472.
- Czemiel-Grzybowska W., 'Barriers to financing small and medium business in Poland', Journal of Business and Economic Horizons, 2013, pp.12.
- Daily C.M., Dollinger M.J. (1992) 'An Empirical Examination of Ownership Structure in Family and Professionally Managed Firms', Family Business Review 5(2), pp. 117-136.
- Frank H., Lueger M., Nose L., Suchy D. (2010) 'The Concept of 'Familiness' Literature Review and Systems Theory-based Reflections', Journal of Family Business Strategy 1, pp.119-130.
- Habbershon T.G., Williams M.L. (1999) 'A Resource-based Framework for Assessing the Strategic Advantages of Family Firms', Family Business Review 12(1), pp.10-25.
- Habbershon T.G., Pistrui J. (2002) 'Enterprising Families Domain; Family-Influenced Ownership Groups in Pursuit of Transgenerational Wealth', Family Business Review 15(3), pp. 230-234.
- Habbershon T.G., Williams M., MacMillan I.C. (2003), 'A Unified Systems Perspective of Family Firm Performance' Journal of Business Venturing 18, pp.451-465.
- Ireland R.D., Hitt M.A., Sirmon D.G. (2003) 'A Model of Strategic Entrepreneurship: The Construct and its Dimensions', Journal of Management 29(6), p. 963-989.
- Kast F.E., Rosenzweig J.E. (1972) 'General System Theory: Applications for organization and Management', The Academy of Management Journal 15(4), pp. 450-460.
- Kellermanns F., Eddleston K. (2006), 'Corporate Entrepreneurship in Family Firms: A Family Perspective', Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 30(6), pp. 809-830.
- McConaughy D.L., Matthews C.H., Fialko A.S. (2001), 'Founding Family Controlled Firms: Performance, Risk, and Value', Journal of Small Business Management 39(1), pp. 31-49.
- Miller D., Le Breton-Miller I. (2006) 'Family Governance and Firm Performance: Agency, Stewardship, and Capabilities', Family Business Review 19(1), pp. 73-87.
- Pieper T.M., Klein S.B. (2007) 'The Bulleye; A Systems Approach to Modeling Family Firms', Family Business Review 20(4), pp. 301-310.
- Walicka M. (2013) Life Science Business Management - Financial Aspects, [in:] Knowledge - Economy - Society Challenges Of The Contemporary Management, (Ed. by Anna Malina, Renata Oczkowska, Tomasz Rojek), Uniwersytet Ekonomiczny w Krakowie, Cracow, pp. 325-336.
- Zellweger T.M., Eddleston K.A., Kellermanns F.W. (2010) 'Exploring the Concept of Familiness: Introducing Family Firm Identity', Journal of Family Business Strategy 1(1), pp. 54-63.