Consumer in Sports : Fan Typology Analysis
Sport fan loyalty is important to attain within a culturally rich and global audience as loyal sport fans are unique consumers. The ability to adequately understand what motivates the sports consumer is an important requirement for sport managers. This paper proposes that a greater understanding of fandom will contribute to a better understanding of the concept of loyalty. Although there is research regarding typology of fans and loyalty, but even within sport advocates group there may be sub-categories that can explain loyalty behaviour further. This research analyses types of sport fans in different disciplines in the UK, as an example of diverse society to explore factors determining category of fans. (original abstract)
- Amine A. (1988) 'Consumers' true brand loyalty: The central role of commitment', Journal of Strategic Marketing, vol. 6, pp. 305-319.
- Aaker D. (1994) 'Building a brand: The Saturn Story', California Management Review, vol. 36, no. 14.
- Anderson E.W. (1998) 'Customer satisfaction and word of mouth', Journal of Service Research, vol. 1, pp. 5-17.
- Apostolopoulou A. (2002) 'Brand extensions by U.S. professional sport teams. Motivations and keys to Success', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 11, pp. 205-214.
- Ashby J.S., and Rice K.G. (2002) 'Perfectionism, Dysfunctional Attitudes, Self-Esteem: A structural Equations Analysis', Journal of Counselling and Development, vol. 80, no 2.
- Aveni A.F. (1977) 'The-not-so-lonely crowd. Friendship groups in collective behaviour', Sociometry, vol. 40, pp. 96-99.
- Ball A.D. and Taski L.H. (1992). 'The role and measurement of attachment in consumer behaviour', Journal of Consumer Psychology, vol. 1 no. 2, pp. 155-72.
- Backman S.J., and Crompton J.L. (1991) 'Using loyalty matrix to differientiate between high, spurious, latent and loyal participants in two lesuire services', Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, vol. 9, pp. 1-17.
- Bandyopadhyay S. and Bottone M. (1997) 'Playing to win', Marketing Management. Spring, pp. 9-19.
- Beatty S.E., and Kahle L.R. (1988) 'Alternative hierarchy off the attitude behaviour relationship: the impact of brand commitment and habit', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 16, pp. 1-10.
- Bech P. (1994) 'Measurement by observations of aggressive behaviour and activities in clinical situations', Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health, vol. 4, pp. 290-302.
- Beisser A.R. (1967) The madness in sports: Psychosocial observations on sports, New York: Warner Brooks.
- Belk R.W. (2004) 'Men and Their Machines', Advances in Consumer Research, vol. 31, pp. 273-278.
- Branscombe N.R., and Wann D.L. (1991) 'He positive social and self concept consequences of sports team identification', Journal of Sports and Social Issues, vol. 15, pp. 115-127.
- Bristow D.N., Sebastian R.J. (2001) 'Holy Cow! Wait 'til next year! A Closer Look at the Brand Loyalty of Chicago Cubs Baseball Fans'. Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 256-275.
- Brooks C.M. (1994) Sport Marketing: Competitive business strategies for sports. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Bryant J. (1989) Viewers' enjoyment of televised sports violence. In: L.A. Wenner (ED.), Media, Sports, and Society (pp. 270-289). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Bryant J., Brown D., Comisky P.W., and Zillman D. (1982) 'Sports and spectators: Commentary and appreciation', Journal of Communication, vol. 32, pp. 109-119.
- Chadwick S., and Clowes J. (1998) 'The use of extension strategies by clubs in the English Football Premier League', Managing Leisure, vol. 3, pp. 194-203.
- Christopher M., Payne A., and Ballantyne, D. (1991) Relationship Marketing, Sydney: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Cialdini R.B., Borden R.J., Thirne A., Walker M.R., Freeman S., and Sloan L.R. (1976) 'Basking in reflected glory: three (football) field studies', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 34, pp. 366-375.
- Cova B., Cova V. (2002) 'Tribal Marketing: the tribalisation of society and its impact on the conduct of marketing', European Journal of Marketing, vol. 36, no. 5/6, pp. 595-620.
- DeSchriver T.D., and Jenson P.D. (2002) 'Determinants of spectator attendance at NCAA divison 11 football contests', Journal of Sport Management, vol. 16, pp. 311-330.
- Dietz-Uhler B., Harrick E.A., End C., and Jaquemotte L. (2000) 'Sex difference in sport fan behaviour and reasons for being a sport fan', Journal of Sport Behaviour, vol. 23, pp. 219-232.
- Doss E.L., (1999) Elvis Culture: Fans, Faith & Image, University Press of Kansas: Kansas.
- Eastman S.T., and Land A.M. (1997) 'The best of both worlds: Sports fans find good seats at the bar', Journal of Sports & Social Issues, vol. 21, pp. 156-178.
- Elias N., and Dunnung E. (1970) The quest for excitement in unexciting societies. In: G. Luschen (ED.), The cross-cultural analysis of sport and games. Champaign, IL; Stipes.
- Evaggelinou C., and Grekinis D. (1988) 'A survey of spectators at the International Stoke Mandeville Wheelchair Games', Adapted Physical Education Quarterly, vol. 15, pp. 25-35.
- Ferrand A., and Pages M. (1996) 'Football supporter involvement: Explaining football match loyalty', European Journal for Sports Management, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 7-20.
- Fink J.S., Trail G.T., & Anderson D.F. (2003) 'Environmental factors associated with spectator attendance and sport consumption behaviour: Gender and team differences'. Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 11, pp. 8-19.
- Fisher R.J., & Wakefield K. (1998) 'Factors leading to group identification: A field study of winners and losers', Psychology & Marketing, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23-40.
- Fiske S.T. and Taylor S.E. (1984) Social Cognition, Addison-Wesley Publishing: Reading, MA.
- Fournier S. (1998) 'Consumers and their brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research', Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 22, pp. 343-373.
- Fournier S., Yao J.L. (1997) 'Reviving brand loyalty: A reconceptualization within the framework of consumer - brand relationships', International Journal of Research in Marketing, vol. 14, pp. 451-472.
- Funk D.C. (1998) Fan Loyalty: The Structure and Stability of an Individual's Loyalty toward an Athletic Team. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. Columbous: Ohio State University.
- Funk D.C., and James, J.D. (2001) 'The Psychological Continuum Model: A conceptual framework for understanding an individual's psychological connection to sport', Sport Management Review, vol. 4, pp. 119-150.
- Funk D.C., Mahony D.F., & Ridinger L.L. (2002) 'Characterizing consumer motivation as individual difference factors: Augmenting the sport interest inventory (SII) to explain levels of spectator sport', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 11, pp. 33-43.
- Funk D.C., & Pastore D.L. (2000). 'Equating attitudes to allegiance: The usefulness of selected attitudinal information in segmenting loyalty to professional sports teams', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 9, pp. 175-184.
- Gantz W. (1981) 'An exploration of viewing motives and behaviours associated with television sports', Journal of Broadcasting, vol. 25, pp. 263-275.
- Gantz W., and Wenner L.A. (1995) 'Fanship and television sports viewing experience', Sociolog y of Sports Journal, vol. 12, pp. 56-74.
- Gmelch G., and San Antonio P.M. (1998) 'Groupies and American baseball', Journal of Sport & Social Issues, vol. 22, pp. 32-45.
- Gibson H., Willming C., Holdnak A. (2002) 'We're Gators... Not Just Gator Fans: Serious Leisure', University of Florida Football.
- Gladden J.M., and Funk D.C. (2001) 'Developing an understanding of brand associations in the team sport: empirical evidence from consumers of professional sport', Journal of Sport Management, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 54-81.
- Gladden J.M. & Milne G.R. (1998) 'Examining the importance of brand equity in professional sports', Sports Marketing Quarterly, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 21-29.
- Grove J.R., Hanrahan S.J., & McInman A. (1991) 'Success/failure bias in attributions across involvement categories in sport', Personality and Social Psycholog y Bulletin, vol. 17, pp. 93-97.
- Grove S., Pickett G., Jones S., Dorsch M. (2012) 'Spectator Rage as the dark side of Engaging Sport Fans: Implications for Service Marketers', Journal for Service Research, vol. 2012, pp. 1-18.
- Guttmann A. (1986) Sports spectators, New York: Columbia University Press.
- Hansen H., and Gauthier R. (1989). 'A means -ends chain model based on consumer categorization processes', Journal of Marketing, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 60-72.
- Homburg C., & Giering, A. (1999) The measurement of brand satisfaction and brand loyalty. Modern Brand Management: Fundamentals, new approaches, implementation, Germany: Gabler.
- Hirt E.R., Zillmann D., Erickson G.A., and Kennedy C. (1992) 'Costs and benefits of allegiance: Changes in fans' self-ascribed competencies after team victory versus defeat', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 63, pp. 724-738.
- Huffman C., Ratneshwar S., Mick D.G. (2000) Consumer goal structures and gold-determination processes: An integrative framework, in: Ratneshwar S., Mick D. G., Huffman C., (2000) The Why of Consumption: Contemporary Perspectives on Consumer Motives, Goals, and Desires, Routledge: London & New York.
- Hugenberg B., (2002) 'Communicatively Constructed Stakeholder Idenity: A Critical Ethnography of Cleveland Browns Fan Culture'. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. Bowling Green: Bowling Green State University.
- Hunt K.A., Bristol T., Bashaw E.R. (1999) 'A Conceptual Approach to Classifying Sports Fans', Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 439-452.
- Jacoby J., and Kyner D.B. (1973) 'Brand loyalty vs. Repeat purchasing behaviour', Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 10, pp. 1-9.
- Jamber E.A. (1999) 'Parent as children's socializing agents in youth soccer', Journal of Sports Behaviour, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 350-359.
- James J.D., (1997) Becoming a sports fan: understanding cognitive development and socialization in the development of fan loyalty. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertaion. Columbus: The Ohio State University.
- Jones I. (1997) 'A further examination of the factors influencing current identification with a sports team', a response to Wann et al (1996) 'Perceptual and Motor Skills', vol. 85, pp. 257-8.
- Kahle L.R., Kambara K.M., Rose G. (1996) 'A function model of fan attendance motivations for college football', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 51-60.
- Keaton S. and Gearhart C. (2014) 'Identity formation, identity strength and self-categorisation as predictors of affective and psychological outcomes', vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 363-385.
- Koivula N. (1999) 'Sport participation: Differences in motivation and actual participation due to gender typing', Journal of Sports Behaviour, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 360-380.
- Kozinets R.V. (2001) 'Utopian Enterprise: Articulating the Meaning Star Trek's Culture of Consumption', Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 24, pp. 479-475.
- Keaveney S.M., & Hunt K.A. (1992) 'Conceptualization and operationalization of retail store image: a case of rival middle - level theories', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 15, pp. 165-76.
- LeUnes A.D., & Nation J.R. (1989) Sport Psychology; An introduction. Chicago: Nelson-Hall Inc.
- Madrigal R. (1995) 'Cognitive and affective determinants of fan satisfaction with sporting event attendance', Journal of Leisure Research, vol. 27, pp. 205-227.
- Madrigal R. & Howard D.R. (1999) Measuring the multidimensional nature of spectators' attraction to sports events, International Journal of Sport Management, vol. 1, pp. 154-180.
- Mahony D.F., Madrigal R., & Howard D. (2000) 'Using the psychological commitment to a team (PCT) scale to segment sport consumer based loyalty', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 9, pp. 15-25.
- Mann L. (1974) 'On being a sore loser: How fans react to their team's failure', Australian Journal of Psychology, vol. 26, pp. 37-47.
- Mann L. (1969) 'Queue culture: the waiting line as a social system', American Journal of Sociology, vol. 75, pp. 340-354.
- Mano H., & Oliver R.L. (1993) 'Assessing the dimensionality and structure of the consumption experience: Evaluation, feeling, and satisfaction', Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 20, pp. 451-466.
- Maslow A.H. (1943) 'A Theory of Human Motivation', Psychological Review, vol. 50, pp. 370- 396.
- Mechikoff R.A. (1992) 'Deep Fan: Mythic Identification, Technology and Advertising in Spectator Sports', Sociology of Sport Journal, vol. 9, no. 4. pp. 323-339.
- Melnick M. and Wann D. (2011) 'An examination of sport fandom in Australia: Socialisation, team identification and fan behaviour', International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 456-470.
- Meyer J.P., & Allen N.J. (1984) 'Testing the side bet theory of organizational commitment: Some methodological considerations', Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 69, pp. 372-378.
- Muniz A., O'Guinn T.C., (2001) 'Brand Community', Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 27, pp. 412-432.
- McAlexander J.H., Schouten J.W., Koenig H.F., (2002) 'Building Brand Community', Journal of Marketing, vol. 66, pp. 38-54.
- Nash R. (2002) 'Contestation in Modern English Professional Football: The independent Supporters Association Movement', International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol.35, no. 4, pp. 465 - 486.
- Ngobo P.V. (2004) 'Drivers of customers cross - buying intentions', European Journal of Marketing, vol. 38, pp. 1129-1157.
- Oliver R.L. (1999) 'Whence Consumer Loyalty?', Journal of Marketing, vol. 63, pp. 33-44.
- O'Reilly C. & Chatman J. (1996) 'Organizational commitment and psychological attachment: the effects of compliance, identification, and internalization on prosocial behaviour', Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 71, pp. 492-99.
- Owen D. (2013) Future Identities: Changing identities in the UK - the next 10 years, Government Office for Science.
- Paffenbarger R.S., & Lee I. (1996) 'Physical activity and fitness for health and longevity', Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 67, no. 30, pp. 11-28.
- Pan D.W., Gabert T.E., McGaugh E.C., & Branvold S.E. (1997) 'Factors and differential demographic effects on purchases of season tickets for intercollegiate basketball games', Journal of Sport Behaviour, vol. 20, pp. 447-464.
- Pimentel R.W., Reynolds K.W., (2004) 'A model for consumer devotion: affective commitment with proactive sustaining behaviour', Academy of Marketing Science Review vol. 2004, no. 5, pp. 1-45.
- Pritchard M.P., Havitz M.E., & Howard D.R. (1999) 'Analyzing the commitment -loyalty link in service contexts', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 27, pp. 333-348.
- Quick S. (2000) 'Contemporary sport consumers: some implications of linking fan typology with key spectator variables', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 149-156.
- Quirk K. (1997) Not now, honey, I'm watching the game. New York: Fireside.
- Rozanski H.D., Baum A.G., Wolfsen B.T., (1999) 'Brand Zealots: Realizing the Full Value of Emotional Brand Loyalty', Strategy+business, vol. 17, pp. 51-62.
- Redden J., & Steiner C.J. (2000) 'Fanatical consumers: towards a framework for research', Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 322-337.
- Richin M.C., & Bloch P.H. (1986) 'After the new wears off: The temporal context of product involvement', Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 13, pp. 280-285.
- Rifkin G., (1999) 'How the Red Sox Touch All the Branding Bases', Strategy and business, vol. 17, pp. 75-83.
- Rinehart R. (1996) 'Dropping hierarchies: Toward the study of a contemporary sporting avant-garde' Sociology of Sport Journal, vol. 13, pp. 159-175.
- Ruiz F. (2001) 'The relationship between coginitive dissonance and helping behaviour', Japanese Psychological Research, vol. 43. no. 3.
- Sergeant S.L., Zillmann D., & Weaver J.B. III. (1998) 'The gender gap in the enjoyment of televised sports', Journal of Sport & Social Issues, vol. 22, pp. 46-64.
- Sapolsky B.S. (1980) 'The effect of spectator disposition and suspense on the enjoyment of sport contests', International Journal of Sport Psycholog y, vol. 11, pp. 1-10.
- Shank M.D., & Beasley F.M. (1998) 'Fan or Fanatic: refining measure of sports involvement', Journal of Sports Behaviour, vol. 21, pp. 435-443.
- Sjoestreoem N., Eder D.N., Malm U., & Beskow J. (2001) 'Violence and its prediction at a psychiatric hospital', European Psychiatry, vol. 16, pp. 459-465.
- Sloan L.R. (1989) 'The Motive of Sports fans'. In J.D Goldstein (ED), Sports, games and play: Social and psychosocial viewpoints, Hillsdale, NJ: Lawarence Erlbaum Associates.
- Smith G.J. (1988) 'The Noble Sports Fan', Journal of Sports & Social Issues, vol. 12, pp. 54-65.
- Snyder C.R., Higgins R.L., & Stuckhy R.J. (1983) Excuses: Masquerades in search of grace, New York: Wiley Interscience.
- Stebbons R. (2010) New directions in theory and research of serious leisure. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press.
- Sutton W.A., McDonald M.A., Milne G.R., & Cimperman J. (1997) 'Creating and fostering fan identification in professional sports', Sports Marketing Quarterly, vol. 6, no. 1997, pp. 15-22.
- Su-Lin G., Tuggle C.A., Mitrook M.A., Coussement S.H., & Zillman D. (1997) 'The thrill of a close game: Who enjoys it and who doesn't?', Journal of Sport & Social Issues, vol. 21, pp. 53-64.
- Tapp A., & Clowes J. (2000) 'From "Carefree Casuals" to "Professional Wanderers" Segmentation Possibilities for Football Supporters', European Journal of Marketing, vol. 36, no. 11-12, pp. 45-59.
- Tomasson K. & Vaglum P. (1996) 'Psychopathology and alcohol consumption among treatments seeking alcoholics: a prospective study', Addictions, vol. 91, pp. 1019-1030.
- Trail G.T., Robinson M.J., & Gillentine A.J., (2003) 'Motives and points of attachment: Fans versus spectators in intercollegiate athletics', Sport Marketing Quarterly, vol. 12, pp. 217-227.
- Wakefield K.L., and Wann D.L. (2006) 'An Examination of Dysfunctional Sports Fans: Method of Classification and Relationships with Problem Behaviours', Journal of Leisure Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 168-186.
- Wann D.L. (2006) 'The causes and consequences of sport team identification'. In: A.A. Raney and J. Brayant, Editors, Handbook of Sports and Media, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ.
- Wann D.L. and Branscombe N.R. (1993) 'Sports Fans: Measuring the Degree of Identification with their team', International Journal of Sports Psycholog y, vol. 26, pp. 551-7.
- Wann D.L., Schrader M.P., & Wilson A.M. (1999) 'Sport fan motivation: Questionnaire validation, comparison by sport, and relationship to athletic motivation', Journal of Sport Behaviour, vol. 22, pp. 114-139.
- Wann D.L., Tucker K., and Schrader M. (1996) 'An exploratory examination of the factors influencing the origination, continuation and cessation of identification with sports teams', Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 82, pp. 995-1001.
- Whang Y.O., Allen J., Sahoury N., Zhang H., (2004) 'Falling in love with a product: The Structure of a Romantic Consumer- Product Relationship', Advances in Consumer Research, vol. 31, pp. 320-327.
- Wann D.L., & Dolan T.J. (1994) 'Attributions of highly identified sport spectators', The Journal of Social Psychology, vol. 134, pp. 279-286.
- Wann D.L., Melinick M.J., Russell G.W., & Pease D.G. (2001) Sport fans: The psychology and social impact of spectators. New York: Routledge.
- Weiller K.H., & Higgs C.T. (1997) 'Fandom in the 40's: the integrating functions of All American Girls Professional Baseball League', Journal of Sport Behaviour, vol. 20, pp. 211-231.
- Weiss M.R., & Duncan S.C.(1992) 'The relationship between physical competence and peer acceptance in the context of children's sports participation', Journal of Sports & Exercise Psychology, vol. 14, pp. 177-191.
- Zillman D., Bryant J., & Sapolsky B.S. (1989) 'Enjoyment from sports spectatorship'. In: J.H. Goldstein, Sports, games, and play: Social and psychological viewpoints. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Zuckerman M. (1984) 'Sensation-seeking: A comparative approach to a human behaviour', The Behavioural and Brain Sciences, vol. 7, pp. 413-471.