Approach to Building a Web-based Expert System Interface and Its Application for Software Provisioning in Clouds
This paper focuses on a generalized approach to providing user interface to a web-based expert system (WBES). We examine MVC and MVP design patterns used traditionally to construct a web application user interface. In order to leverage the strength of the MVC/MVP design patterns we propose a special ontology representing a user communication domain. We describe a self-service networked infrastructure for automatic deployment of command line interface (CLI) applications. We demonstrate how to apply the proposed ontology for the design of a WBES aimed at supporting client software re-execution in clouds. In particular, we address the problems existing in the area of software development for music information retrieval algorithms implementation.(original abstract)
- M. D. Plumbley, C. Cannam, and S. Dixon, "Tutorial on reusable software and reproducibility in music informatics research to be presented in to be presented at the 13th ismir conference," Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary, University of London, 2012.
- S. Sufi, N. C. Hong, S. Hettrick, M. Antonioletti, S. Crouch, A. Hay, D. Inupakutika, M. Jackson, A. Pawlik, G. Peru, J. Robinson, L. Carr, D. De Roure, C. Goble, and M. Parsons, "Software in reproducible research: Advice and best practice collected from experiences at the collaborations workshop," in Proceedings of the 1st ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Reproducible Research Methodologies and New Publication Models in Computer Engineering, ser. TRUST '14. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2014, pp. 2:1-2:4. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2618137.2618140
- Y. Janin, C. Vincent, and R. Duraffort, "Care, the comprehensive archiver for reproducible execution," in Proceedings of the 1st ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Reproducible Research Methodologies and New Publication Models in Computer Engineering, ser. TRUST '14. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2014, pp. 1:1-1:7. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2618137.2618138
- J. Vanschoren, J. N. van Rijn, B. Bischl, and L. Torgo, "Openml: Networked science in machine learning," SIGKDD Explorations, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 49-60, 2013. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/ 10.1145/2641190.2641198
- D. Milne and I. H. Witten, "An open-source toolkit for mining wikipedia," Artif. Intell., vol. 194, pp. 222-239, Jan. 2013. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.artint.2012.06.007
- E. Pyshkin and A. Kuznetsov, "A provisioning service for automatic command line applications deployment in computing clouds," in 2014 IEEE Intl Conf on High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC), Aug 2014, pp. 518-521.
- C. Bunch, "Automated configuration and deployment of applications in heterogeneous cloud environments," Ph.D. dissertation, Santa Barbara, CA, USA, 2012, aAI3553710.
- Y.-Y. Su, M. Attariyan, and J. Flinn, "Autobash: Improving configuration management with operating system causality analysis," in In Proceed- ings of the 21st ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (Stevenson, 2007, pp. 237-250.
- E. Pyshkin, A. Kuznetsov, and V. Klyuev, "Understanding software provisioning: An ontological view," in Databases in Networked Information Systems, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, W. Chu, S. Kikuchi, and S. Bhalla, Eds. Springer International Publishing, 2015, vol. 8999, pp. 84-111. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-16313-07
- K. West, A. Kumar, A. Shirk, G. Zhu, J. Downie, A. Ehmann, and M. Bay, "The networked environment for music analysis (nema)," in Services (SERVICES-1), 2010 6th World Congress on, July 2010, pp. 314-317.
- J. C. Giarratano and G. Riley, Expert systems: principles and program- ming. Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., 1989.
- Y. Duan, J. S. Edwards, and M. Xu, "Web-based expert systems: benefits and challenges," Information & Management, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 799-811, 2005.
- N. Dunstan, "An interactive webbased expert system degree planner," in The Second International Conference on Informatics Engineering & Information Science (ICIEIS2013). The Society of Digital Information and Wireless Communication, 2013, pp. 302-308.
- I. M. Dokas, "Developing web sites for web based expert systems: A web engineering approach." in ITEE, 2005, pp. 202-217.
- N. Dunstan, "A hybrid architecture for web-based expert systems," International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 70-79, 2012.
- R. A. Harrington, S. Banks, and E. Santos Jr, "Development of an intelligent user interface for a generic expert system," in Online Proceedings of the Seventh Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference, 1996.
- M. Nofal and K. M. Fouad, "Developing web-based semantic expert systems," IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 103-110, Jan. 2014.
- B. P. Knijnenburg, M. C. Willemsen, Z. Gantner, H. Soncu, and C. Newell, "Explaining the user experience of recommender systems," User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, vol. 22, no. 4-5, pp. 441-504, 2012.
- I. M. Dokas, "Developing web sites for web based expert systems: A web engineering approach," in In Proceedings of the Second Interna- tional ICSC Symposium on Information Technologies in Environmental Engineering (Magdeburg. Shaker Verlag, 2005, pp. 202-217.
- R. Morales-Chaparro, M. Linaje, J. Preciado, and F. S´anchez-Figueroa, "Mvc web design patterns and rich internet applications," Proceedings of the Jornadas de Ingenierıa del Software y Bases de Datos, 2007.
- P. Gupta and M. C. Govil, "Mvc design pattern for the multi framework distributed applications using xml, spring and struts framework," Int J Comput Sci Eng, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1047-1051, 2010.
- G. E. Krasner, S. T. Pope et al., "A description of the model-viewcontroller user interface paradigm in the smalltalk-80 system," Journal of object oriented programming, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 26-49, 1988.
- M. Potel, "Mvp: Model-view-presenter the taligent programming model for c++ and java," Taligent Inc, 1996.
- R. Kazman, L. Bass, M. Webb, and G. Abowd, "Saam: A method for analyzing the properties of software architectures," in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Software Engineering, ser. ICSE '94. Los Alamitos, CA, USA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994, pp. 81-90. [Online]. Available: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=257734.257746
- C.-C. Lin, S.-C. Chen, and Y.-M. Chu, "Automatic price negotiation on the web: An agent-based web application using fuzzy expert system," Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 5090-5100, 2011.
- B. Roy and T. N. Graham, "Methods for evaluating software architecture: A survey," School of Computing TR, vol. 545, p. 82, 2008.
- A. Kipkebut, "An evaluation of web based expert system as a catalyst for maize production in kenya," Computer Engineering and Intelligent Systems, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 86-97, 2014.
- K. Tutuncu and M. Koklu, "A new expert system shell in turkish language for training," in Proceedings of the International Conference on challenges in IT, Engineering and Technology, ser. ICCIET'2014, 2014, pp. 26-30.
- A. Kuznetsov and E. Pyshkin, "An ontology of software building, execution and environment configuration and its application for software deployment in computing clouds," St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University Journal. Computer Science. Telecommunications and Control Systems, no. 2(193), pp. 110-125, 2014.
- T. R. Gruber, "Toward principles for the design of ontologies used for knowledge sharing," Int. J. Hum.-Comput. Stud., vol. 43, no. 5-6, pp. 907-928, Dec. 1995. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/ijhc. 1995.1081
- B. McFee, T. Bertin-Mahieux, D. P. W. Ellis, and G. R. G. Lanckriet, "The million song dataset challenge." in WWW (Companion Volume), A. Mille, F. L. Gandon, J. Misselis, M. Rabinovich, and S. Staab, Eds. ACM, 2012, pp. 909-916. [Online]. Available: http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/conf/www/www2012c.html