Self-Explanation through Semantic Annotation: A Survey
Semantic information is considered as foundation upon which modern approaches attempt to tackle the challenges of dynamic environments - service orchestration and ontology matching are two examples for the use of such information. Yet, many developers avoid the additional effort of adding semantic information (e.g., through annotations) to their data sets - limiting the reusability and interoperability of their Apps, services, or data. This problem is called the "knowledge acquisition bottleneck", which can be addressed by providing suitable tool support. This survey analyses the state-of-the-art of such tools that support developers in the task of semantically enriching entities. Providing an overview of available tools from the early days until now, we particularly focus on the 'level of automation'. Concluding that automation is very limited in contemporary tools we propose a concept that mixes connectionist and symbolic representation of meaning to decrease the manual effort.(original abstract)
- ] N. R. Jennings, "Building complex software systems why agent-oriented approaches are well suited for," Communications of the ACM, Forthcoming, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 35-41, 2001.
- W. A. Gale, K. W. Church, and D. Yarowsky, "A method for disambiguating word senses in a large corpus," Computers and the Humanities, vol. 26, no. 5-6, pp. 415-439, Dec. 1992. doi: 10.1007/BF00136984. [Online]. Available: http://link.springer.com/10. 1007/BF00136984
- M. Brodie, J. Mylopoulos, and J. W. Schmidt, On Conceptual Modelling: Perspectives from Artificial Intelligence, Databases, and Programming Languages. Springer-Verlag GmbH, 1984.
- T. Berners-Lee, J. Hollenbach, K. Lu, J. Prebrey, E. P. d'ommeaux, and M. Schraefel, "Tabulator redux: Writing into the semantic web," Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, Tech. Rep., November 2007.
- F. Lopez, "Overview of methodologies for building ontologies," in KRR5, V. Benjamins, B. Chandrasekaran, A. Gomez-Perez, N. Guarino, and M. Uschold, Eds., vol. 1999, August 1999, pp. 1-13.
- S. Braun and V. Zacharias, "Ontology maturing with lightweight collaborative ontology editing tools," in ProKW 07, N. Gronau, Ed. Potsdam, Germany: GITO, March 2007, pp. 217-226.
- O. Consortium, "Ontoweb: Ontology-based information exchange for knowledge management and electronic commerce," Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)-Coordinator Faculty of Sciences, Tech. Rep., 2008, last visited: 2012-06-06. [Online]. Available: v.
- J. Cardoso, "The semantic web vision: Where are we?" IEEE Intelligent Systems, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 84-88, September 2007.
- K. Suresh, J. Kumar Malik, N. Prakash, and S. Rizvi, "A case study on role of ontology editors," in National Conference on Advancements in Information & Communication Technology (NCAICT), Allahabad, India, 2008.
- V. Uren, P. Cimiano, J. Iria, S. Handschuh, M. VargasVera, E. Motta, and F. Ciravegna, "Semantic annotation for knowledge management: Requirements and a survey of the state of the art," Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 14-28, Dec. 2005. doi: 10.1016/j.websem.2005.10.002. [Online]. Available: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1570826805000338
- N. Islam and Z. a. Shaikh, "Semantic web: Choosing the right methodologies, tools and standards," 2010 International Conference on Information and Emerging Technologies, pp. 1-5, June 2010.
- Y. Ding and S. Foo, "Ontology research and development part 1 - a review of ontology generation keywords," Journal of Information Science, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 123-136, 2002.
- A. Gomez-Perez and D. Manzano-macho, "Deliverable 1.5 : A survey of ontology learning methods and techniques ontoweb consortium," Madrid, Tech. Rep., 2003.
- L. Drumond and R. Girardi, "A survey of ontology learning procedures," in In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Ontologies and their Applications, vol. 427, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, October 2008, pp. 1-12.
- J. H. Gennari, M. A. Musen, R. W. Fergerson, W. E. Grosso, M. Crubézy, H. Eriksson, N. F. Noy, and S. W. Tu, "The evolution of protégé : An environment for knowledge-based systems development," vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 98-123, 2003.
- D. Huynh, S. Mazzocchi, and D. Karger, "Piggy bank: Experience the semantic web inside your web browser," in ISWC, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2005, vol. 3729, pp. 413-430. ISBN 978-3-540-29754-3
- S. Handschuh, S. Staab, R. Volz, and L. Meyer, "Deep annotation for information integration," in IIWeb-03, S. Kambhampati and C. A. Knoblock, Eds., Acapulco, Mexico, August 2003, pp. 105-110.
- C. Bizer and T. Gauss. (2007) Disco - hyperdata browse. FU-Berlin. Last visited: 2013-07-20. [Online]. Available: http://www4.wiwiss. fu-berlin.de/bizer/ng4j/disco/
- M. C. Schraefel, D. A. Smith, A. Owens, A. Russell, C. Harris, and M. Wilson, "The evolving mspace platform: leveraging the semantic web on the trail of the memex," in ACM conference on Hypertext and hypermedia, ser. HYPERTEXT '05. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2005. ISBN 1-59593-168-6 pp. 174-183.
- J. Pozueco, D. Berrueta, L. Polo, J. E. Labra, and S. Fernandez. (2011) Rdfa developer. Javier Pozueco. Last visited: 2013-07-20. [Online]. Available: https://bitbucket.org/fundacionctic/rdfadev/wiki/Home
- K. Yee, K. Swearingen, and K. Li, "Faceted metadata for image search and browsing," in SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems, 2003. ISBN 1581136307 pp. 401-408.
- O. Lassila, "Browsing the semantic web," in International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications, 2006. DEXA '06. 17th, 2006, pp. 365 - 369.
- [M. Butler, D. Huynh, B. Hyde, T. Berners-Lee, and M. R. (2006) Longwell project page. Simile. Last visited: 2013-07-20. [Online]. Available: http://simile.mit.edu/wiki2/Longwell
- ] G. Tummarello, R. Cyganiak, M. Catasta, S. Danielczyk, R. Delbru, and S. Decker, "Sig.ma: Live views on the web of data," Journal of Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 355-364, 2010.
- J. Kaizer and A. Hodge, "Aquabrowser library: Search, discover, refine," Library Hi Tech News, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 9-12, 2005.
- D. Huynh, "Parallax and companion: Set-based browsing for the data web," in ACM WWW Conference, 2009. ISBN 9781595936547
- M. T. Pazienza, N. Scarpato, A. Stellato, and A. Turbati, "Din din ! the ( semantic ) turkey is served! from semantic bookmarking to knowledge management and," in SWAP2008, 2008, pp. 15-17.
- S. Krivov, R. Williams, and F. Villa, "Growl : A tool for visualization and editing of owl ontologies," Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 54-57, 2007.
- J. Francis, M. Davies, and D. Mladenic, Semantic Knowledge Management: Integrating Ontology Management, Knowledge Discovery, and Human Language Technologies, 1st ed. Berlin: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, January 2009.
- A. Kalyanpur, B. Parsia, E. Sirin, and B. Grau, "Swoop : A web ontology editing browser," Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1-20, June 2006.
- S. M. Paley, J. D. Lowrance, and P. D. Karp, "A generic knowledge-base browser and editor," in AAAI97/IAAI97, 1997. ISBN 4158593735
- F. Ciravegna, A. Dingli, D. Petrelli, and Y. Wilks, "User-system cooperation in document annotation based on information extraction," in EKAW02, vol. 2473, no. October. Springer Verlag, 2002, pp. 122-137.
- D. McGuinness, R. Fikes, and J. Rice, "An environment for merging and testing large ontologies," in KR, 2000, pp. 12-15.
- M. Dzbor, E. Motta, and J. Domingue, "Opening up magpie via semantic services," in ISWC, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, S. A. McIlraith, D. Plexousakis, and F. v. Harmelen, Eds., vol. 3298. Hiroshima, Japan: Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2004, pp. 635- 649.
- A. Zhdanova and R. Krummenacher, "Community-driven ontology management: Deri case study," in International Conference on Web Intelligence, no. September, 2005, pp. 19-22.
- M. Fiorelli, M. T. Pazienza, S. Petruzza, A. Stellato, and A. Turbati, "Computer-aided ontology development: an integrated environment," in NLPFrameworks 2010. ELRA, 2010, pp. 28-35.
- D. Quan, D. Huynh, and D. R. Karger, "Haystack : A platform for authoring end user semantic web applications," in ISWC, 2003, pp. 738- 753.
- IBM, "Emf ontology definition metamodel," last visited: 2012-06-06. [Online]. Available: http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/eodm/docs/ articles/EODM_Documentation/
- L. Rutledge, M. Alberink, R. Brussee, S. Pokraev, W. Dieten, and M.Veenstra, "Finding the story: Broader applicability of semantics and discourse for hypermedia generation," in ACM conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, 2003, pp. 67-76.
- D. Cameron, P. N. Mendes, A. P. Sheth, and V. Chan, "Semanticsempowered text exploration for knowledge discovery," in IACM SE. Oxford, MS, USA: ACM Press, April 2010. ISBN 9781450300643 pp. 1-6.
- A. Marchesini, "Morla project page," last visited: 2013-07-20. [Online]. Available: http://www.morlardf.net/index.php
- T. Eskridge, P. Hayes, and R. Hoffman, "Formalizing the informal: a confluence of concept mapping and the semantic web," in Proc. of the Second Int. Conference on Concept Mapping, 2006.
- B. Motik, "Reasoning in description logics using resolution and deductive databases," Ph.D. dissertation, Karlsruher Institut of Technology, 2006.
- I. Revelytix. Knoodle project page. Last visited: 2013-07-20. [Online]. Available: http://knoodl.com/
- L. Ceccaroni and E. Kendall, "A semantically-rich, graphical environment for collaborative ontology development in agentcities," in iD3, Barcelona, Spain, 2003.
- A. Farquhar, R. Fikes, and J. Rice, "The ontolingua server: a tool for collaborative ontology construction," International Journal of HumanComputer Studies, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 707-727, June 1997.
- M. Rospocher, C. Ghidini, V. Pammer, Seraïn ˛Ani, and Lindstaedt, ˇ "Moki: the modelling wiki," in SemWiki 2009, 2009, pp. 113-127.
- B. Fortuna and M. Grobelnik, "Ontogen: Semi-automatic ontology editor," in Human Interface, Part II, HCII, 2007, pp. 309-318.
- M. Vargas-Vera, E. Motta, J. Domingue, M. Lanzoni, A. Stutt, and F. Ciravegna, "MnM: Ontology Driven Semi-automatic and Automatic Support for Semantic Markup," in Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2013 Workshops. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Sep. 2002, pp. 379-391. ISBN 978-3-540-44268-4. [Online]. Available: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/3-540-45810-7_34
- T. Berners-Lee, Y. Chen, L. Chilton, D. Connolly, R. Dhanaraj, J. Hollenbach, A. Lerer, and D. Sheets, "Tabulator: Exploring and analyzing linked data on the semantic web," in In Proceedings of the 3rd International Semantic Web User Interaction Workshop, November 2006, pp. 1-16.
- U. Bojars, J. G. Breslin, V. Peristeras, and G. Tummarello, "Interlinking the social web with semantics," no. June, 2008.
- M. Hildebrand, J. van Ossenbruggen, and L. Hardman, "/facet: A browser for heterogeneous semantic web repositories," in ISWC, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, I. Cruz, S. Decker, D. Allemang, C. Preist, D. Schwabe, P. Mika, M. Uschold, and L. Aroyo, Eds. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2006, vol. 4273, pp. 272-285. ISBN 978- 3-540-49029-6
- E. Oren, R. Delbru, and S. Decker, "Extending faceted navigation for rdf data," in ISWC, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, I. Cruz, S. Decker, D. Allemang, C. Preist, D. Schwabe, P. Mika, M. Uschold, and L. Aroyo, Eds. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2006, vol. 4273, pp. 559-572. ISBN 978-3-540-49029-6
- M. Stefaner, S. Ferré, S. Perugini, J. Koren, and Y. Zhang, Dynamic Taxonomies and Faceted Search: Theory, Practice, and Experience, ser. The Information Retrieval Series, G. M. Sacco and Y. Tzitzikas, Eds. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2009, vol. 25. ISBN 978-3-642-02358-3
- F. Ciravegna, "(lp)2 , an adaptive algorithm for information extraction from web-related texts types of induced rules," in In Proceedings of the IJCAI-2001 Workshop on Adaptive Text Extraction and Mining, Seattle, USA, August 2001.
- F. Ciravegna and Y. Wilks, "Designing adaptive information extraction for the semantic web in amilcare," in Annotation for the Semantic Web, Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. IOS Press, 2003, pp. 112-127.
- D. Griesi, M. Pazienza, and A. Stellato, "Semantic turkey: a semantic bookmarking tool (system description)," in European conference on The Semantic Web: Research and Applications. Innsbruck, Austria: Springer Verlag, 2007, pp. 779-788.
- M. T. Pazienza, N. Scarpato, and A. Stellato, "Stia: Experience of semantic annotation in jurisprudence domain," in Legal Knowledge and Information Systems Jurix, G. Governatori, Ed. IOS Press, 2009, pp. 156-161.
- R. M. MacGregor, "Using a description classi er to enhance deductive inference 1 introduction," in IEEE Conference on AI Applications, 1991, pp. 141--147.
- P. Karp and V. Chaudhri, "A collaborative environment for authoring large knowledge bases," Journal of Intelligent Information, vol. 194, pp. 155-194, 1999.
- T. Nelson, "Complex information processing: a file structure for the complex, the changing and the indeterminate," 1965, pp. 84-100.
- L. Fischer, The Perfect Swarm: The Science of Complexity in Everyday Life. ReadHowYouWant, April 2010.
- J. Fähndrich, S. Ahrndt, and S. Albayrak, "Selfexplaining agents," Jurnal Teknologi (Science & Engineering), vol. 3, no. 63, pp. 53-64, 2013. doi: 10.11113/jt.v63.1955. [Online]. Available: http://www.jurnalteknologi.utm.my/index.php/ jurnalteknologi/article/view/1955/1481
- S. Löbner, "Semantik. Eine Einführung," 2003.
- J. Fähndrich, S. Ahrndt, and S. Albayrak, "Formal Language Decomposition into Semantic Primes," ADCAIJ: ADVANCES IN DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE JOURNAL, vol. 3, no. 8, p. 56, Oct. 2014. doi: 10.14201/ADCAIJ2014385673. [Online]. Available: http://revistas.usal. es/index.php/2255-2863/article/view/ADCAIJ2014385673
- "Towards Self-Explaining Agents," PAAMS: Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, pp. 147-154, 2013.