A Platform for Context-Aware Application Development: PCAD
We propose a novel software platform based on the notion of context-awareness which allows rapid and easy development of context aware applications. One of the fundamental goals of the proposed platform is extensibility, allowing the platform to react to new requirements without making fundamental and substantial changes. The Context Aware Application Development Platform- PCAD- has inspired from an operating system and modeled as a layered architecture. It exhibits a plug-and-play behavior very similar to devices and device drivers found on an operating system/kernel. The platform offers functions such as data management, notification, security and privacy as services. The platform provides a public interface to application developers in their development of context-aware applications. It covers a wide range of disparate application domains such as smart city and livestock monitoring applications.(original abstract)
- A. K. Dey and G. D. Abowd, "Towards a Better Understanding of Context and Context-Awareness," in Proc. of the Workshop on the What, Who, Where, When and How of Context-Awareness, ACM Press, New York, 2000.
- A. K. Dey, "Understanding and using context," Personal Ubiquitous Computing, 2001, 5(1), pp. 4-7.
- J. I. Hong and J. A. Landay, "An Infrastructure Approach to Context- Aware Computing," Human-Computer Interaction, 2001, 16, pp.287- 303.
- T. Winograd, "Architectures for Context," Human-Computer Interaction, 2001, 16, pp. 401-419.
- M. Perttunen, J. Riekki and O. Lassila, "Context representation and reasoning in pervasive computing: a review," International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, 2009, 4(4), pp. 1-28.
- T. Strang and C. Linnhoff-Popien, "A Context Modeling Survey," First Int. Workshop on Advanced Context Modelling, Reasoning and Management at UbiComp, 2004.
- M. Roman, C. Hess, R. Cerqueira, A. Ranganathan, and et al., "A middleware infrastructure for active spaces," IEEE Pervasive Computing, 2002, 1(4), pp. 74-83.
- H. Chen, "An Intelligent Broker Architecture for Pervasive Context- Aware Systems," PhD Thesis, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2004.
- T. Gu, H. K. Pung, D. Q. Zhang, "A service-oriented middleware for building context-aware services," J. of Network and Computer Applications, 2004, 28 (1), pp. 1-18.
- P. Fahy and S. Clarke, "CASS - a middleware for mobile contextaware applications," Workshop on Context Awareness, MobiSys, 2004, 2004.
- T. Hofer, W. Schwinger, M. Pichler, and et al., "Context-awareness on mobile devices - the hydrogen approach," in Proc. of the 36th Annual Hawaii Int. Conf. on System Sciences, 2002, pp.292-302.
- M. Miraoui, C. Tadj and B. C. Amar, "Architectural Survey of Context-Aware Systems in Pervasive Computing Environment," Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Journal, 2008, 3 (3), pp. 68-76.
- H. L. Truong and S. Dustdar, "A survey on context-aware web service systems," Int. J. of Web Information Systems, 2009, 5(1), pp 5-31.
- J. Y. Hong, E. H. Suh and S. J. Kim, "Context-aware systems: A literature review and classification," Expert System with Applications, 2009, 36(4), pp. 8509-8522.
- S. Stallings, Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles (7. Ed.) Prentice Hall, 2012.
- E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson and J. Vlissides, Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software. Prentice Hall, 1994.
- BIRT. http://www.eclipse.org/birt/ [Accessed April 9, 2015]
- D. Ferraiolo, J. Cugini, R. Kuhn, "Role-based access control (RBAC): Features and motivations," in Proc. of the 11th Annual Conf. On Computer Security Applications (New Orleans, LA, Dec. 11-15), 1995, pp. 241-248.
- G. Kakarontzas, L. Anthopoulos, D. Chatzakou, D. and A. Vakali," A Conceptual Enterprise Architecture Framework for Smart Cities A Survey Based Approach," Int. Conf. on e-Busines, 2014.
- M. Baldauf, S. Dustdar and F. Rosenberg, "A survey on context-aware system," Int. J. of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, 2007, 2(4), pp. 263-277.
- N. Masuch, M. Lutzenberger, S. Ahrndt, A. Hessler and S. Albayrak, "A context-aware mobile accessible electric vehicle management system," in Proc. of the 2011 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 18-21 Sept. 2011, pp. 305-312.
- S. Gökay, C. Terwelp, C. Samsel, K-H Krempels K-H, S. Rabenhorst and B. Greber, "Parking Lot Management for Charging Stations," in Proc. of the 3rd Int. Conf. on Smart Grids and Green IT Systems- SMARTGREENS 2014, Barcelona, Spain, 2014.
- P. Trusiewicz and J. Legierski, "Parking Reservation - application dedicated for car users based on telecommunications APIs," in Proc. of the 2013 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 8-11 Sept. 2013, pp. 865-869