Critical Success Factors for Implementing Supply Chain Management Systems - The Perspective of Selected German Enterprises
The aim of our study was to provide a contribution to the research field of critical success factors (CSFs) with a focus on SCM system implementations. Therefore, we conducted a systematic literature review in order to identify CSFs for those projects. On the basis of that review, we conducted interviews within German large-scale enterprises and with consultants experienced with SCM system implementations. As a result, we showed that all the factors found in the literature also affected the success of SCM projects in the studied companies. Additionally, we were able to identify six further CSFs with the interview study. However, within those SCM projects, technological factors gained more importance compared to those factors which influence the success of ERP projects the most. For SCM projects, factors like Data migration, as well as SCM system tests, are even more important than Top management support or Project management, which are the most important factors for ERP projects.(original abstract)
- T. H. Davenport, Mission critical: Realizing the promise of enterprise systems. Boston, USA: Harvard Business School Press, 2000, DOI: 10.1225/9067.
- S. V. Grabski, and S.A. Leech, "Complementary controls and ERP implementation success," International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 17-39, 2007, DOI: 10.1016/j.accinf.2006.12.002.
- S. C. L. Koh, and M. Simpson, "Change and uncertainty in SME manufacturing environments using ERP," Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 629-653, 2005, DOI: 10.1108/17410380510609483.
- T. M. Somers, and K. Nelson, "The impact of critical success factors across the stages of enterprise resource planning implementations," in Proceedings of the 34th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2001), Hawaii, USA, 2001, DOI: 10.1109/HICSS.2001.927129.
- A. Busch and W. Dangelmaier, "Integriertes Supply Chain Management - ein koordinationsorientierter Überblick," in Integriertes Supply Chain Management / Theorie und Praxis effektiver unternehmensübergreifender Geschäftsprozesse, 2nd ed., A. Busch and W. Dangelmaier, Eds., Wiesbaden, Germany: Gabler publishing, 2004, pp. 1-24.
- H. Bartsch and P. Bickenbach, Supply-Chain-Management mit SAP APO / Supply-Chain-Modelle mit dem Advanced Planner & Optimizer 3.1, 2nd ed., Bonn, Germany: Galileo Press, 2002.
- H. Krcmar, Informationsmanagement, 5th ed., Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 2001.
- G. Mangalaraj, A. Jeyaraj and E. Prater, "Technology Adoption in Supply Chain Management: A Meta-Analysis of Empirical Findings," in Proceedings of the 12th Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2006), Acapulco, México, 2006.
- M. J. Tarokh and J. Soroor, "Supply Chain Management Information Systems Critical Failure Factors," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics (SOLI '06), Shanghai, China, 2006, pp. 425-431.
- A. Jones, J. Robinson, B. O'Toole, and D. Webb, "Implementing a bespoke supply chain management system to deliver tangible benefits," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing 1412 PROCEEDINGS OF THE FEDCSIS. ŁO´ DZ´ , 2015 Technology, vol. 30, no. 9/10, pp. 927-937, 2006, DOI: 10.1007/s00170-005-0065-2.
- E. W. T. Ngai, T. C. E. Cheng, and S. S. M. Ho, "Critical success factors of web-based supply-chain management systems: An exploratory study," Production Planning & Control, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 622-630, 2004, DOI: 10.1080/09537280412331283928.
- T. Barker, and M. N. Frolick, "ERP Implementation Failure: A Case Study," Information Systems Management, vol. 20 no. 4, pp. 43-49, 2003, DOI: 10.1201/1078/436220.127.116.1130901/ 77292.7.
- K. Hsu, J. Sylvestre, and E. N. Sayed, "Avoiding ERP Pitfalls," The Journal of Corporate Accounting & Finance, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 67-74, 2006, DOI: 10.1002/jcaf.20217.
- P. Achanga, G. Nelde, R. Roy, and E. Shehab, "Critical Success Factors for Lean Implementation within SMEs," Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 460-471, 2006, DOI: 10.1108/17410380610662889.
- S. Finney, and M. Corbett, "ERP Implementation: A Compilation and Analysis of Critical Success Factors," Business Process Management Journal, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 329-347, 2007, DOI: 10.1108/14637150710752272.
- F. F.-H. Nah, K. M. Zuckweiler, and J. L.-S. Lau, "ERP Implementation: Chief Information Officers' Perceptions of Critical Success Factors," International Journal of Human- Computer Interaction, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 5-22, 2003, DOI: 10.1207/S15327590IJHC1601_2.
- C. Leyh, "Critical Success Factors for ERP System Implementation Projects: A Literature Review," in Advances in Enterprise Information Systems II, C. Møller, and S. Chaudhry, Eds. Leiden, The Netherlands: CRC Press/Balkema, 2012, pp. 45-56.
- J. Esteves-Sousa, and J. Pastor-Collado, "Towards the Unification of Critical Success Factors for ERP Implementations," in Proceedings of the 10th Annual Business Information Technology (BIT) Conference, Manchester, UK, 2000.
- J. vom Brocke, A. Simons, B. Niehaves, K. Riemer, R. Plattfaut, and A. Cleven, "Reconstructing the Giant: On the Importance of Rigour in Documenting the Literature Search Process," in Proceedings of the 17th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2009), Verona, Italy, 2009.
- Past Preparing the Future: Writing a Literature Review," MIS Quarterly, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. xiii-xxiii, 2002.
- C. Leyh, "Which Factors Influence ERP Implementation Projects in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises?," in Proceedings of the 20th Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2014), Savanah, Georgia, USA, 2014.
- F. F.-H. Nah, and S. Delgado, "Critical Success Factors for Enterprise Resource Planning Implementation and Upgrade," Journal of Computer Information Systems, vol. 46, no. 29, pp. 99-113, 2006
- J. Esteves-Sousa, Definition and Analysis of Critical Success Factors for ERP Implementation Projects. Barcelona, Spain, 2004.
- U. Remus, "Critical Success Factors for Implementing Enterprise Portals: A Comparison with ERP Implementations," Business Process Management Journal, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 538-552, 2007, DOI: 10.1108/14637150710763568.