Battery Aware Beacon Enabled IEEE 802.15.4: An Adaptive and Cross-Layer Approach
In Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs), energy conservation is one of the main concerns challenging the cutting-edge standards and protocols. Most existing studies focus on the design of WSN energy efficient algorithms and standards. The standard IEEE 802.15.4 has emerged for WSNs in which the legacy operations are based on the principle that the power-operated battery is ideal and linear. However, the diffusion principle in batteries shows the nonlinear process when it releases a charge. Hence, we can prolong the network lifetime by designing optimized algorithms that reflect the battery characteristics. Within this context, this paper proposes a cross-layer algorithm to improve the performance of beacon enabled IEEE 802.15.4 network by allowing a Personal Area Network Coordinator (PANc) to tune its MAC behavior adaptively according to both the current remaining battery capacity and the network status. The performance of the new algorithm has been examined and compared against that of the legacy IEEE 802.15.4 MAC algorithm through extensive simulation experiments. The results show that the new technique reduces significantly the energy consumption and the average end-to-end delay(original abstract)
- IF. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and A. Cayirci; "A survey on sensor networks, Communications Magazine ,''Atlanta, GA, USA, vol. 40(8), pp. 102-114, 2002. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/MCOM.2002.1024422
- L. Selavo, A. Wood, Q. Cao, T. Sookoor, H. Liu, A. Srinivasan, and J. Porter, "wireless sensor network for environmental research", Proc. The 5th international conference on Embedded networked sensor systems. Sydney, Australia Nov. 2007, pp. 103-116. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1322263.1322274
- A. Koubaa, "Promoting Quality of Service in Wireless Sensor Networks", Submitted for receiving Habilitation Qualification in Computer Science, National School of Engineering, Sfax, Tunisia, 2011.
- SC. Ergen, "ZigBee/IEEE 802.15. 4 (Summary)", [Online][accessed January 2015], Available from URL http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~suman/courses/838/papers/zigbee.pdf.
- M. Salayma, W. Mardini, Y. Khamayseh, and M. Yassein, "Optimal Beacon and Superframe Orders in WSNs," in Proc. The Fifth International Conference on Future Computational Technologies and Applications (IARIA 2013), FUTURECOMPUTING 2013, Valencia, Spain, pp. 49-55, May 2013.
- M. Salayma, W. Mardini, Y. Khamayseh, and M. Yassein, "IEEE802. 15.4 Performance in Various WSNs Applications, ''in Proc. The Seventh International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, SENSORCOMM 2013, conference on Embedded networked sensor systems, Sydney, Australia, pp. 103-116, Nov. 2007. O
- M. R. Jongerden and B. R. Haverkort, "Battery modeling,'' Technical report, TR-CTIT-08-01, CTIT, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.12691/ajmo-3- 2-2
- Y. Li, , Y. Shouyi, l. Leibo, W. Shaojun and W. Dong, "Battery-Aware MAC Analytical Modeling for Extending Lifetime of Low Duty-Cycled Wireless Sensor Network,'' in Proc. IEEE 8th Int.Conference Networking, Architecture and Storage (NAS), IEEE, pp. 297-301, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/NAS.2013.47
- H. Li, Y. Chenfu and L. Ye, "Battery-Friendly Packet Transmission Algorithms for Wireless Sensor Networks, " Sensors Journal, IEEE 13, vol. 10, pp. 3548-3557, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/JSEN.2013.2276617
- C. Chau, Q. Fei, S. Sayed, m. Wahab and Y. Yang, "Harnessing battery recovery effect in wireless sensor networks: Experiments and analysis, '' Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Journal on 28, vol. 7, pp. 1222-1232, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/JSAC.2010.100926
- C. Chau, M. Wahab, F. Qin, Y. Wang and Y. Yang, "Battery recovery aware sensor networks", In Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks, 2009. WiOPT 2009. 7th International Symposium on, pp. 1-9. IEEE, 2009. Communications, IEEE Journal on 28, vol. 7, pp. 1222-1232, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/WIOPT.2009.5291623
- E. Casilari, J. M. Cano-García and G. Campos-Garrido, "Modeling of current consumption in 802.15. 4/ZigBee sensor motes,'' Sensors, vol. 10, pp. 5443-5468, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.3390/s100605443
- M. Di Francesco, G. Anastasi, M. Conti, S. K. Das and V. Neri, "Reliability and Energy-Efficiency in IEEE 802.15. 4/ZigBee Sensor Networks: An Adaptive and Cross-Layer Approach, ''IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 29, pp. 1508-1524, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1109/JSAC.2011.110902
- D. Linden, and T. B. Reddy, "Handbook of batteries,'' 1985. http://dx.doi.org/10.1036/0071414754
- D. Rakhmatov, S. Vrudhula and D. A. Wallach, "A model for battery lifetime analysis for organizing applications on a pocket computer. Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, '' IEEE Transactions, vol. 11, pp. 1019-1030, 2003. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TVLSI.2003.819320