A New Energy Efficient Cluster based Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks
In Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs), clustering techniques are usually used as a key effective solution to prolong the network lifetime by reducing energy consumption among the sensor nodes . Despite many works on clustering in WSNs this issue is still outstanding. However, the most existing solutions suffer from long and iterative clustering cycles. In an attempt to fill in this gap, we propose a new cluster-based protocol, referred to as Load-balancing Cluster Based Protocol (LCP) that introduces a new inter-cluster approach to increase network lifetime. This new protocol rotates continuously the election of the Cluster Head (CH) election in each cluster, and selects the node with the highest residual energy in each round. Extensive simulation experiments show that our proposed approach effectively balances the energy consumes among all sensor nodes and increases network lifetime compared to other clustering protocols.(original abstract)
- C. Perera, A. Zaslavsky, P. Christen, and D. Georgakopoulos,"Context aware computing for the internet of things: A survey," IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 414-454, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2013.042313.00197
- Z. Manap, B. M. Ali, C. K. Ng, N. K. Noordin, and A. Sali,"A review on hierarchical routing protocols for wireless sensor networks," Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 1077-1104, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11277-013-1056-5
- R. N. Enam , M. Imam and R. I. Qureshi "Energy Consumption in Random Cluster Head selection Phase of WSN" 2012 IACSIT Hong Kong Conferences IPCSIT vol. 30 (2012) IACSIT Press, Singapore
- M. Shokouhifar and A. Jalali, "A new evolutionary based application specific routing protocol for clustered wireless sensor networks," AEU - Int. J. Electron. Commun., vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 432-441, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2014.10.023
- A. Rahman, S. Anwar, I. Pramanik, and F. Rahman, "A Survey on Energy Efficient Routing Techniques in Wireless Sensor Network," 15th International Conference on Advanced Communications Technology (ICACT 2013). Pyeong Chang, South Korea, pp. 200-205, January 2013.
- C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, D. Estrin, J. Heidemann, and F. Silva, "Directed diffusion for wireless sensor networking," Networking, IEEE/ACM Trans., vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 2-16, 2003. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2002.808417
- Y. Xu, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, "Geography-Informed Energy Conservation for Ad Hoc Routing," Proc. ACM/IEEE Intl Conf. Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM), pp. 70-84, July 2001. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/381677.381685
- S. Gupta, N. Jain, and P. Sinha, "Clustering Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey," in International Journal of Applied Information Systems (IJAIS) â˘A ¸S ISSN : 2249-0868 Foundation of Computer Science FCS, New York, USA vol. 5, no.2, pp.41-50, January 2013.
- S. P. Singh and S. C. Sharma, "Cluster Based Routing Algorithms for Wireless Sensor Networks," International Journal of Engineering & Technology Innovations (IJETI), vol. 1, no 4, November 2014.
- A. Marya, A. Kumar, and C. Mohan, "Energy efficient heterogeneous leach with enhanced stability for wireless sensor network systems," International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering Research (IJASER), vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 920-931, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.6088/ijaser.030500002
- D. J. Dechene, A. El Jardali, M. Luccini, A. Sauer, "A Survey of Clustering Algorithms for wireless Sensor Networks," Information and Automation for Sustainability (ICIAFS), 4th International Conference , Publication Year: 2008 , pp. 295-300.
- O. Younis and S. Fahmy, "HEED: A Hybrid, Energy-Efficient, Distributed Clustering Approach for Ad Hoc Sensor Networks," IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 366-379, Oct.-Dec. 2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2004.41
- W. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan and H. Balakrishnan, "Energy- Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks," Proc. 33rd Hawaii Intl. Conf. Sys. Sci., Jan. 2000. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2000.926982
- W. Mardini, M. B. Yassein, Y. Khamayseh, and B. a. Ghaleb, "Rotated hybrid, energy-efficient and distributed (R-HEED) clustering protocol in WSN," WSEAS Trans. Comm , vol. 13, pp. 275-290, 2014.
- W. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, "An Application-Specific Protocol Architecture for Wireless Microsensor Networks," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 660- 670, Oct. 2002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2002.804190
- L. Qing, Q. Zhu, and M. Wang, "Design of a distributed energy-efficient clustering algorithm for heterogeneous wireless sensor networks," Computer Commun., vol. 29, pp. 2230-2237, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2006.02.017
- S. Yi, J. Heo, Y. Cho, and J. Hong, "PEACH: Power-efficient and adaptive clustering hierarchy protocol for wireless sensor networks," Comput. Commun., vol. 30, no. 14-15, pp. 2842-2852, Oct. 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2007.05.034
- P. Ding, J. Holliday, and A. Celik, "Distributed energy-efficient hierarchical clustering for wireless sensor networks," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS â˘A ´ Z05), vol. 3560, pp. 322-339, June 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/11502593_25
- A.Boulis, "A Simulater for Wireless Sensor Networks and Body Area Network," (Castalia), March 2011, https://castalia.forge.nicta.com.au, (Accessed: 9 February 2014).