Exploring Users' Experience with E-reading Devices
New e-book readers and multifunctional mobile tablet devices are currently emerging, so bringing about a transition from printed to the electronic books. It is important to learn how usable these mobile devices are, by testing them on real users from various backgrounds. The paper presents a study which explores the perceived usability of two electronic reading devices, one dedicated reader and one multifunctional device. More specifically, the study employs eight tasks which users were required to complete within a specific time with two devices. Our results show that users functioned better on the multifunctional device in terms of performance measures, such as navigation, task difficulty and satisfaction.(original abstract)
- J.Rubin, and D. Chisnell, Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design and Conduct Effective Tests (2nd Ed.). Indianapolis, IN: Wiley Publishing, 2008.
- S. Greenberg and B. Buxton, Usability evaluation considered harmful (some of the time). Proceeding of the Twenty-Sixth Annual SIGCHI Conference on Human factors in Computing Systems, Florence, 2008, 111-120.
- M. Hassenzahl, The effect of perceived hedonic quality on product appealingness. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 13(4), pp. 479-497, 2002.
- R. Zehner, "Electronic Paper Displays." In Mobile Displays: Technology and Applications (eds A. K. Bhowmik, Z. Li and P. J. Bos), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK , 2008.
- H. Heikkil a. eReading User Experiences: eBook Devices, Reading Software & Contents. Technical Report 54, NextMedia, 2011.
- DeJean, D. "The future of e-paper: The Kindle is only the beginning."Computerworld, June, 1, 2008. Retrieved from http://www.computerworld.com/article/2535080/ Accessed on 12/4/2014
- E Ink: http://www.eink.com. Accessed on 12 April 2014.
- R. Budiu and J. Nielsen. "Usability of iPad Apps andWebsites: 1st edition". Technical report, 2010.
- R. Budiu and J. Nielsen. "Usability of iPad Apps and Websites: 2nd edition". Technical report, 2011.
- J. Nielsen, "iPad and Kindle reading speeds", 2010 Retrieved from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ipad-kindle-reading.html
- D. T. Clark, S. P. Goodwin, T. Samuelson, C.Coker, "A qualitative assessment of the Kindle e-book reader: results from initial focus groups", Performance Measurement and Metrics, Vol. 9 Iss: 2, pp.118 - 129, 2008.
- J. Nielsen and R. L. Mack. Usability inspection methods. Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- ISO 9241-11 Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs)-Part 11, Guidance on usability, ISO, 1998.
- A.Cooper, R. Reimann, and D. Cronin, About Face 3: The Essentials of User Interface Design. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2007.
- J.S Dumas and J.C Redish, A Practical Guide to Usability Testing (revised Ed.). Portland, Oregon: Intellect Books, 1999.
- J.Nielsen, "Why You Only Need to Test With 5 Users". Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, March 19, 2000.
- H. Petrie and N. Bevan. The evaluation of accessibility , usability and user experience In: The Universal Access Handbook, C Stepanidis (ed), CRC Press, pp 299-315, 2009.
- J. Spool and W. Schroeder " Testing web sites: Five users is nowhere near enough", In: Proceedings of the Conference extended abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI'2001. New York: ACM Press, 2001.
- C. W. Turner, J. R. Lewis, and J. Nielsen, "Determining usability test sample size". In W. Karwowski (ed.), International Encyclopedia of Ergonomics and Human Factors Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2006, pp. 3084-3088, 2006.
- J. Sauro and J.R. Lewis, Quantifying the user experience: Practical statistics for user research. Burlington, MA: Morgan Kaufmann, 2012.
- J. Brooke, SUS: a "quick and dirty" usability scale. In P. W. Jordan, B. Thomas, B. A. Weerdmeester, & A. L. McClelland (Eds.), Usability Evaluation in Industry (S. 189 -194). London: Taylor and Francis,1996.
- T. Tullis, and J. Stetson, "A comparison of questionnaires for assessing website usability," In Proc. of the Usability Professionals Association (UPA), pp. 7-11, 2004.
- J. R. Lewis, and J. Sauro, "The factor structure of the system usability scale", Proc. Human Computer Interaction International Conference (HCII 2009), San Diego, CA, pp. 94-103, 2009.
- J. Sauro, "Does prior experience affect perceptions of usability?" Available:http://www.measuringusability.com/blog/priorexposure. php, January 19, 2011 [Nov.15, 2012]
- J. Sauro, A practical guide to the System Usability Scale (SUS): Background, benchmarks & best practices. Denver, CO: Measuring Usability LLC, 2011.
- Leu, D. J., McVerry, J. G., O'Byrne, W.I ., Kiili, C., Zawilinski, L., Everett-Cacopardo, H., & Forzani, E.. The new literacies of online reading comprehension: Expanding the literacy and learning curriculum. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 55, 5-14, 2011.
- P Lam, SL Lam, J Lam, C McNaught, "Usability and usefulness of eBooks on PPCs: How students' opinions vary over time,".Australian Journal of Educational Technology, 25(1), pp. 30-44, 2009.