Using the Generalised Viterbi Algorithm to Achieve a Highly Effective Stegosystem for Images
The HUGO project, published at 2010, can be considered as one of the most promising direction in the design of highly undetectable steganography. The main idea of that approach is to minimise the embedding impact from the steganalysis point of view. This goal is achieved by using trellis codes in the embedding procedure, the Viterbi algorithm (VA) and the SPAM features. But the optimality of VA was kept still unclear because a generic purpose of VA is to correct errors with trellis codes instead of embedding secret information. The first goal of the current paper is to prove the optimality of VA application in its generalised form proposed about 30 years ago by one of the authors of this paper. The second goal is to optimise the parameters of the trellis code check matrix for better undetectability of stegosystems.(original abstract)
- J. Fridrich, Steganography in Digital Media: Principles, Algorithms, and Applications, 1st ed. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- T. Pevny, P. Bas, and J. Fridrich, "Steganalysis by subtractive pixel adjacency matrix," Information Forensics and Security, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 215-224, June 2010.
- T. Pevný, T. Filler, and P. Bas, "Using high-dimensional image models to perform highly undetectable steganography," in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Information Hiding, ser. IH'10. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2010, pp. 161-177.
- V. Korzhik, "A generalization of Viterbi algorithm on the case of channel model described by additive Markov channel," in Proc. of IV Intern'l Symp on Information Theory, Part II, 1984, pp. 109-111.
- V. Korzhik and Y. Lopato, "Optimal decoding of convolutional codes in channels with additive markov noises," in Proc. of IV Intern'l Symp on Information Theory, Part II, 1984, pp. 35-40.
- P. Bas, T. Filler, and T. Pevný, ""Break our steganographic system": the ins and outs of organizing BOSS," in Proceedings of the 13th international conference on Information hiding, ser. IH'11. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2011, pp. 59-70. [Online]. Available: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2042445.2042452
- A. D. Ker, P. Bas, R. Böhme, R. Cogranne, S. Craver, T. Filler, J. Fridrich, and T. Pevný, "Moving steganography and steganalysis from the laboratory into the real world," in Proceedings of the First ACM Workshop on Information Hiding and Multimedia Security, ser. IH&MMSec '13. New York, NY, USA: ACM, 2013, pp. 45-58. [Online]. Available: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2482513.2482965