A Model-driven Approach to Data Structure Conceptualization
Reengineering of an existing software system can be carried out: to improve its maintainability, to migrate to a new technology, to improve quality or to prepare for functional enhancement. An important phase of a data-oriented software system's reengineering is a database reengineering process and, in particular, its subprocess -- a database reverse engineering process. The reverse engineering process contains two main processes: data structure extraction and data structure conceptualization. In the paper we present a blueprint of a model-driven approach to database reengineering process that is one of the results of our research project on model-driven intelligent systems for software system development, maintenance and evolution. Within that process hereinafter we focus on the data structure conceptualization process and propose a model-driven approach to data structure conceptualization. Proposed process is based on model-to-model transformations implemented by means of Atlas Transformation Language.(original abstract)
-  E.J. Chikofsky, and J.H. Cross, "Reverse engineering and design recovery: A taxonomy," IEEE Software, vol. 7(1), pp. 13-17, Jan. 1990.
-  R. Kazman, S. Woods and J. Carriere, "Requirements for Integrating Software Architecture and Reengineering Models: Corum ii," in Proc. of Working Conference on Reverse Engineering (WCRE), Washington, 1998, pp. 154-163.
-  R. S. Arnold, "A road map guide to software reengineering technology," in Software Reengineering, R. S. Arnold, Ed. Los Alamitos CA: IEEE Computer Society Press, 1993.
-  S. Tilley and D. Smith, "Perspectives on Legacy System Reengineering", SEI White Paper, 1995.
-  I. Jacobson and F. Lindström, "Re-engineering of Old Systems to an Object-oriented Architecture," in Proc. of the ACM Conference on Object Oriented Programming Systems Languages and Applications, New York, Oct. 1991, pp. 340-350.
-  J. Hainaut, J. Henrard, D. Roland, V. Englebert, and J. Hick, "Structure Eliction in Database Reverse Engineering," in Proc. of the 3th Working Conference on Reverse Engineering, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1996, pp. 131-139.
-  J. Mukerji, and J. Miller, "MDA Guide Version 1.0.1, document omg/03-06-01 (MDA Guide V1.0.1)," <http://www.omg.org/>, (retrieved May, 2015)
-  OMG Architecture Driven Modernization (ADM), <http://www.adm.omg.org >, (retrieved May, 2015)
-  J. Hainaut, J. Henrard, D. Roland, V. Englebert, and J. Hick, "Knowledge Transfer in Database Reverse Engineering: A Supporting Case Study," in Proc. of the 4th Working Conference on Reverse Engineering, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1997, pp. 194-203.
-  I. Lukovic, P. Mogin, J. Pavicevic, and S. Ristic, "An approach to developing complex database schemas using form types," Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 37 (15), pp. 1621-1656, 2007. doi: 10.1002/spe.820
-  S. Aleksic, I. Lukovic, P. Mogin, and M. Govedarica, "A generator of SQL schema specifications," Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 4(2), pp. 81-100, 2007.
-  I. Lukovic, A. Popovic, J. Mostić, and S. Ristić, "A tool for modeling form type check constraints and complex functionalities of business applications," Computer Science and Information Systems, vol: 7(2), pp. 359-385, 2010. DOI 10.2298/CSIS1002359L
-  S. Aleksic, S. Ristic, I. Lukovic, and M. Celikovic, "A Design Specification and a Server Implementation of the Inverse Referential Integrity Constraints," Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 10(1), pp. 283-320, 2013. DOI: 10.2298/CSIS111102003A
-  S. Ristic, S. Aleksic, M. Celikovic, I. Lukovic, "Generic and Standard Database Constraint Meta-Models," Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 11(2), pp: 679-696, 2014. DOI: 10.2298/CSIS140216037R
-  M. Mernik, J. Heering, and A. M. Sloane, "When and how to develop domain-specific languages," ACM computing surveys (CSUR), vol. 37(4), pp. 316-344, 2005.
-  T. Kosar, N. Oliveira, M. Mernik, V. J. M. Pereira, M. Crepinsek, C. D. Da, and R. P. Henriques, "Comparing general-purpose and domain-specific languages: An empirical study," Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 7 (2), pp. 247-264, 2010. DOI: 10.2298/CSIS1002247K
-  M. Celikovic, I. Lukovic, S. Aleksic, V. Ivancevic, "A MOF based meta-model and a concrete DSL syntax of IIS*case PIM concepts," Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 9 (3) pp. 1075-1103, 2012. DOI: 10.2298/CSIS120203034C
-  OMG Meta Object Facility (MOF), <http://www.omg.org/mof>, (retrieved May, 2015)
-  S. Ristic, S. Aleksic, M. Celikovic, V. Dimitrieski, and I. Lukovic, "Database reverse engineering based on meta-models," Central European Journal on Computer Science, vol. 4(3), pp: 150-159, 2014. DOI: 10.2478/s13537-014-0218-1
-  V. Dimitrieski, M. Celikovic, S. Aleksic, S. Ristic, I. Lukovic, "Extended entity-relationship approach in a multi-paradigm information system modeling tool, " in Proceedings of the 2014 FEDCSIS, Warsaw, Poland, ACSIS, Vol. 2, pp. 1611-1620, 2014. DOI: 10.15439/2014F239
-  Eclipse Foundation, "ATL (ATLAS Transformation Language) Project, ATL/User Guide", available at: http://wiki.eclipse.org/ATL/User_Guide, 2010. (retrieved May, 2015)
-  J-L. Hainaut, J. Henrard, V. Englebert, D. Roland, and J-M. Hick "Database Reverse Engineering," In Encyclopedia of Database Systems, L. Liu, and Özsu, T., Ed., Springer-Verlag, 2009.
-  J. Perez, I. Ramos, and V. Anaya, "Data reverse engineering of legacy databases to object oriented conceptual schemas," Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 74(4), pp. 1-13, 2002.
-  A. Boronat, J. Perez, J. A. Cars, and I. Ramos., "Two Experiences in Software Dynamics," Journal of Universal Computer Science, vol. 10(4), pp. 428-453, 2004.
-  M. Gogolla, A. Lindow, M. Richters, and P. Ziemann, "Meta-model transformation of data models," Position paper. WISME at the UML 2002.
-  Beggar O. E., Bousetta B., Gadi T., Getting Relational Database from Legacy Data-MDRE Approach, Computer Engineering and Intelligent Systems www.iiste.org ISSN 2222-1719 ISSN 2222-2863 (Online) Vol 4, No.4, 2013.
-  R.P. del Castillo, I. Garcia-Rodriguez, and I. Caballero, "PRECISO: a reengineering process and a tool for database modernization through web services", In: Jacobson Jr., M.J., Rijmen, V., Safavi-Naini, R. Ed., SAC 2009. LNCS, vol. 5867, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 21262133, 2009.
-  M. Polo, I. Garcia-Rodriguez, and M. Piattini, "An MDA-based approach for database re-engineering," J. Softw. Maint. Evol., vol. 19 (6), pp. 383-417, 2007.
-  K. Lano, S. and Kolahdouz-Rahimi, ''Constraint-based specification of model transformations," Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 86(2), pp. 412-436, 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.jss.2012.09.006
-  M. Boyd, and P. McBrien, "Comparing and transforming between data models via an intermediate hypergraph data model," Journal on Data Semantics, vol. IV, pp. 69-109, 2005.
-  R. P. Fillottrani, and C. M. Keet, "Conceptual Model Interoperability: A Metamodel-driven Approach," Rules on the Web. From Theory to Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp 52-66, 2014. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-09870-8-4
-  C. M. Keet,and P. R. Fillottrani, "Structural entities of an ontology-driven unifying metamodel for UML, EER, and ORM2," In: Proc. of MEDI'13. LNCS, vol. 8216, Amantea, Calabria, Italy, Springer, pp. 188-199, 2013. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-41366-7-16
-  C. M. Keet, and R. P. Fillottrani, "Toward an ontology-driven unifying metamodel for UML Class Diagrams, EER, and ORM2," Conceptual Modeling , Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 8217, pp 313-326, 2013. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-41924-9-26
-  P. Atzeni, G. Gianforme, and P. Cappellari, "Data model descriptions and translation signatures in a multi-model framework," AMAI Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 63, pp. 1-29, 2011. DOI: 10.1007/s10472-012-9277-y
-  Kreutzova, Michaela, Jaroslav Porubän, and Peter Vaclavik. "First Step for GUI Domain Analysis: Formalization," Journal of Computer Science and Control Systems, vol. 4(1), pp. 65-69, 2011.
-  M. Bacikova, and J. Porubän, "DSL-driven generation of GUI" Central European Journal of Computer Science, vol. 4(4), pp. 204211,2014. DOI 10.2478/s 13537-014-0210-9
-  M. Malki, A. Flory, and M. K. Rahmouni, "Extraction of Object-oriented Schemas from Existing Relational Databases: a Form-driven Approach," INFORMATICA, vol. 13(1), pp. 47-72, 2002.
-  S. M. Benslimane, M. Malki, M. K. Rahmouni, and DJ. Beslimane, "Extracting Personalised Ontology from Data-Intensive Web Application: an HTML Forms-Based Reverse Engineering Approach," INFORMATICA, Vol. 18 (4), pp. 511-534, 2007.
-  H. Kern, "Study of Interoperability between Meta-Modeling Tools" in Proceedings of the 2014 FEDCSIS, Warsaw, Poland, ACSIS, Vol. 2, pp. 1629-1637, 2014. DOI: 10.15439/2014F255