Influence of the blade shape on stab resistance of a soft body armor
The aim of the study was to obtain knowledge on the effects of deformation of the standard knife blade, adopted from the standard NIJ Standard -0115.00 on stab resistance of a personal soft body armor. To achieve the goal, 7 numerical models representing the test knife with changing geometry were generated. The models were defined with fixed boundary and initial conditions. Owing to the research, it was found out that even a small change in the geometry of the blade (through blunting the blade) causes a significant increase in puncture resistance of aramid fabric. (original abstract)
- Belytschko, T., Schwer, L., and Klein, M. J., Large Displacement Transient Analysis of Space Frames, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Engineering, 11, 65-84 (1977).
- Chen-Wu Wu, Zhi-Lin Wu, Kun Zhangand Guang-Nan Chen, Evaluation of film-substrate adhesion via impact using coated bullets, "Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures", Vol. 4, No. 10, 2009.
- Ben-Dor G., Dubinsky A., Elperin T., Effect of the order of plates on the ballistic resistance of ductile layered shields perforated by nonconical impactors, "Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures", Vol. 1, No. 7, 2006.
- Ben-Dor Gabi, Dubinsky Anatoly, Elperin Tov, Effect of air gaps on the ballistic resistance of ductile shields perforated by nonconical impactors, "Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures", Vol. 1, No. 2, 2006.
- HOSDB Body Armour Standards for UK Police (2007), Part 3: Knife and Spike Resistance.
- NIJ Standard-0115.00.
- Nilakantan G., Keefe M., Gillespie J. W., Bogetti T. A., Adkinson R., (2009), A Study of Material and Architectural Effects on the Impact Response of 2D and 3D Dry Textile Composites using LS-DYNA, 7th European LS-DYNA Users' Conference
- Pankaj K. Porwal, Irene J. Beyerlein and Stuart Leigh Phoenix, Statistical strength of twisted fiber bundles with load sharing controlled by frictional length scales, "Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures", Vol. 2, No. 4, 2007.
- Seksan Chaijit, Shigeru Nagasawa, Yasushi Fukuzawa, Mitsuhiro Murayama, Isamu Katayama, Effect of tip profile on cutting processability of a trapezoidal cutting blade indented to an aluminum sheet, "Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures", Vol. 1, No. 8, 2006.
- Sofuoglu H., Rasty J., Flow behavior of Plasticine used in physical modeling of metal.
- Teijin Aramid, (2012), Ballistics material handbook.
- Teng Xiaoqing, Dey Sumita, Børvik Tore, Wierzbicki Tomasz, Protection performance of double-layered metal shields against projectile impact, "Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures", Vol. 2, No. 7, 2007.