Audit Committee Structure and Earnings Management in Asia Pacific
The relationships between the audit committee structure and earnings management is quite complicated. They are not simply bivariate correlations. Rather, there may be mediating effects or moderating influences on these casual associations. Nonetheless, previous research has not investigated these complicated relationships in emerging markets with an advanced economy. This paper aims to examine the mediating impact of audit committee structure and earnings management in Australia, Malaysia, and Pakistan. The results suggest that audit committee size is positively associated with financial reporting quality. We also noted that, instead of adding value, audit committee independence is negatively associated with reporting quality. The results indicate that the audit committee is a less significant factor in corporate governance than suggested by many previous researchers and policy makers. This paper contributes to the literature on corporate governance and earnings management by introducing a framework for identifying and analyzing moderating variables that affect the relationship between the audit committee structure and earnings management.(original abstract)
- Abbott, L.J., Park, Y., Parker, S., 2000, The Effects of Audit Committee Activity and Independence on Corporate Fraud, Managerial Finance, vol. 26: 55-67.
- Abdullah, S.N., Mohamad-Yusof, N.Z., Mohamad-Nor, M.N., 2010, Financial Restatement and Corporate Governance among Malaysian Listed Companies, Managerial Auditing Journal, vol. 25: 526-552.
- Abdurrouf, M., Siddique, N., Rahaman, M., 2010, Good Corporate Governance Principles and Recommendations for Good Practices, Journal of Socioeconomically Research, vol. 7: 970-975.
- Adams, R., Hermalin, B.E., Weisbach, M.S., 2010, The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey, Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 48: 58-107.
- Ajinkya, B., Bhojraj, S., Sengupta, P., 2005, The Association between Outside Directors, Institutional Investors and the Properties of Management Earnings Forecasts, Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 43: 343-376.
- Aldamen, H., Duncan, K., Kelly, S., McNamara, R., Nagel, S., 2012, Audit Committee Characteristics and Firm Performance During the Global Financial Crisis, Accountingand Finance, vol. 52: 971-1000.
- Al-Matari, Y.A., Al-Swidi, A.K., Fadzil, F.H.B., Al-Matari, E.M., 2012, Board of Directors, Audit Committee Characteristics and Performance of Saudi Arabia Listed Companies, International Review of Management and Marketing, II: 241-251.
- Alsaeed, K., 2006, The Association between Firm-specific Characteristics and Disclosure, Managerial Auditing Journal, vol. XXI: 476-496.
- Anderson, R.C., Mansi, S.A., Reeb, D.M., 2004, Board Characteristics, Accounting Report Integrity, and the Cost of Debt, Journal of Accounting and Economics, vol. 37: 315-342.
- Archambeault, D.S., DeZoort, F.T., Hermanson, D.R., 2008, Audit Committee Incentive Compensation and Accounting Restatements, Contemporary Accounting Research, vol. 25: 965-992.
- Baxter, P., Cotter, J., 2009, The Audit Committee and Earning Quality, Accounting and Finance, vol. 49: 267-290.
- Beasley, M.S., Salterio, S.E., 2001, The Relationship between Board Characteristics and Voluntary Improvements in Audit Committee Composition and Experience, Contemporary Accounting Research, vol. 18: 539-570.
- Bédard, J., Gendron, Y., 2010, Strengthening the Financial Reporting Systems: Can Audit Committees Deliver?, International Journal of Auditing, vol. 14: 1-37.
- Bergstresser, D., Philippon, T., 2006, CEO Incentives and Earnings Management, Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 80: 511-529.
- Biddle, G., Hilary, G., Verdi, R.S., 2009, How Does Financial Reporting Quality Relate to Investments Efficiency?, Journal of Accounting and Economics, vol. 48: 112-131.
- Boyd, B.K., Gove, S., Hitt, M.A., 2005, Consequences of Measurement Problems in Strategic Management Research: The Case of Amihud, Strategic Management Journal, vol. 26: 367-375.
- Bradbury, M., 1990, The Incentives for Voluntary Audit Committee Formation, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, vol. 9: 13-36.
- Carcello, J.V., Neal, T.L., 2000, Audit Committee Composition and Auditor Reporting, The Accounting Review, vol. 75: 453-467.
- Chan, K.C., Li, J., 2008, Audit Committee and Firm Value: Evidence on Outside Top Executives as Expert Independent Directors, Corporate Governance: An International Review, vol. 16: 16-31.
- Chen, H., Tang, Q., Jiang, Y., Lin, Z., 2010, The Role of International Financial Reporting Standards in Accounting QQuality: Evidence from the European Union, Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, vol. XXI: 220-278.
- Choi, J.J., Park, S.W., Yoo, S.S., 2007, The Value of Outside Directors: Evidence from Corporate Governance Reform from Korea, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. 42: 941-962.
- Craig, R., Diga, J., 1998, Corporate Accounting Disclosure in ASEAN, Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, vol. IX: 26-38.
- Dahya, J., Dimitrov, O., McConnell, J.J., 2008, Dominant Shareholders, Corporate Boards, and Corporate Value: A Cross-country Analysis, Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 87: 73-100.
- Davidson, R., Godwin-Stewart, J., Kent, P., 2005, Internal Governance Structures and Earnings Management, Accounting and Finance, XLV: 241-268.
- Dechow, P.M., Dichev, I., 2002, The Quality of Accruals and Earnings: The Role of Accrual Estimation Errors, The Accounting Review, vol. 77: 35-60.
- Dechow, P.M., Ge, W., Larson, C., Sloan, R., 2011, Predicting Material Accounting Misstatements, Contemporary Accounting Research, vol. 28: 17-82.
- DeFond, M.L., Raghunandan, K., Subramanyam, K.R., 2002, Do Non-audit Service Fees Impair Auditor Independence? Evidence from Going-concern Audit Opinions, Journalof Accounting Research, vol. 40: 1247-1274.
- Dellaportas, S., Gibson, K., Alagiah, R., Hutchinson, M., Leung, P., VanHomrigh, D., 2005, Ethics, Governance & Accountability, a Professional Perspective, JohnWiley & Sons Australia Ltd, Milton, Qld.
- Dimitropoulos, P.E., Asteriou, D., 2010, The Effect of Board Composition on the Informativeness and Quality of Annual Earnings: Empirical Evidence from Greece, Research in International Business and Finance, vol. 24: 773-784.
- Doyle, J., Ge, W., McVay, S., 2006, Determinants of Weaknesses in Internal Control over Financial Reporting, Working Paper, University of Utah, University of Michigan and New York University.
- Duchin, R., Matsusaka, J.G., Ozbas, O., 2010, When Are Outside Directors Effective?, Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 96: 175-194.
- Erkens, D.H., Bonner, S.E., 2013, The Role of Firm Status in Appointments of Financial Experts to Audit Committees, The Accounting Review, vol. 88: 107-136.
- Ferris, S., Jayaraman, N., Sabherwal, S., 2013, CEO Overconfidence and International Merger and Acquisition Activity, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. XLVIII: 137-164.
- Francis, J.R., LaFond, R., Olsson, P., Schipper, K., 2005, The Market Pricing of Accruals Quality, Journal of Accounting and Economics, vol. 39: 295-327.
- Ghabayen, M., 2012, Board Characteristics and Firm Performance: Case of Saudi Arabia, International Journal of Accounting and Financial Reporting, vol. 2: 168-200.
- Goodstein, J., Gautam, K., Boeker, W., 1994, The Effects of Board Size and Diversity on Strategic Change, Strategic Management Journal, vol. 15: 241-250.
- Haniffa, R.M., Cooke, T.E., 2002, Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations, ABACUS, vol. 38: 317-349.
- Islam, M.Z., Islam, M.N., Bhattacharjee, S., Islam, A.K., 2010, Agency Problem and the Role of Audit Committee: Implications for Corporate Sector in Bangladesh, International Journal of Economics and Finance, vol. II: 177-188.
- Jaggi, B., Leung, S., Gul, F., 2009, Family Control, Board Independence, and Earnings Management: Evidence Based on Hong Kong Firms, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, vol. 28: 281-300.
- Kalbers, L., Fogarty, T., 1993, Audit Committee Effectiveness: An Empirical Investigation of the Contribution of Power, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, vol. 12: 24-49.
- Kent, P., Routledge, J., Stewart, J., 2010, Innate and Discretionary Accruals and Corporate Governance, Accounting and Finance, vol. 50: 171-195.
- Kirk, D.J., 2000, Experience with the Public Oversight Board and Corporate Audit Committees, Accounting Horizons, vol. 14: 103-111.
- Klein, A., 2002, Economics Determinants of Audit Committee Independence, The Accounting Review, vol. 77: 435-452.
- Krishnan, J., 2005, Audit Committee Quality and Internal Control: An Empirical Analysis, The Accounting Review, vol. 80: 649-675.
- Leong, K.S., Wang, J., Suwardy, T., Kusnadi, Y., 2015, Audit Committees and Financial Reporting Quality in Singapore, European Accounting Association 38th Annual Congress, 28-30 April 2015, Research Collection School of Accountancy.
- Li, J., Pike, R., Haniffa, R., 2008, Intellectual Capital Disclosure and Corporate Governance Structure in UK, Accounting and Business Research, vol. 38: 136-159.
- Liao, C.H., Hsu, A.H., 2013, Common Membership and Effective Corporate Governance: Evidence from Audit and Compensation Committees, Corporate Governance: An International Review, vol. 21: 79-92.
- Lin, J.W., Li, J.F., Yang, J.S., 2006, The Effect of Audit Committee Performance on Earnings Quality, Managerial Auditing Journal, vol. 2: 921-933.
- Mak, Y.T., Li, Y., 2001, Determinants of Corporate Ownership and Board Structure: Evidence from Singapore, Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 7: 236-256.
- McNichols, M., 2002, Research Design Issues in Earnings Management Studies, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, vol. 19: 313-345.
- Mohd, A., 2011, The Effect of Implementation of Malaysia Code of Corporate Governance (MCCG) 2007 on Corporate Governance Attributes and Financial Performance, Ph.D DPA Dissertation, University Utara Malaysia.
- Mohd Saleh, N., Mohd Iskandar, T., Rahmat, M.M., 2007, Audit Committee Characteristics and Earnings Management: Evidence from Malaysia, Asian Review of Accounting, vol. XV: 147-163.
- Nuryanah, S., Islam, S.M., 2011, Corporate Governance and Performance: Evidence from an Emerging Market, Malaysian Accounting Review, vol. X: 17-42.
- Peasnell, K.V., Pope, P.F., Young, S., 2005, Board Monitoring and Earnings Management: Do Outside Director's Influence Abnormal Accruals?, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, vol. 32: 1311-1346.
- Peng, M.W., Zhang, S., Li, X., 2007, CEO Duality and Firm Performance during China's Institutional Transitions, Management and Organizational Review, vol. III: 205-225.
- Persons, O.S., 2009, Audit Committee Characteristics and Earlier Voluntary Ethics Disclosure among Fraud and No-fraud Firms, International Journal of Disclosure and Governance, vol. 6: 284-297.
- Pomeroy, B., Thornton, D., 2008, Meta-analysis and the Accounting Literature: The Case of Audit Committee Independence and Financial Reporting Quality, European Accounting Review, vol. 17: 305-330.
- Rechner, P., Dalton, D., 1991, CEO Duality and Organizational Performance: A Longitudinal Analysis, Strategic Management Journal, vol. XII: 155-160.
- Serfling, M.A., 2014, CEO Age and the Riskiness of Corporate Policies, Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. XXV: 251-273.
- Srinidhi, B.N., Gul, F.A., 2007, The Differential Effects of Auditors' Non-audit and Audit Fees on Accrual Quality, Contemporary Accounting Research, vol. 24: 595-629.
- Vafeas, N., 2005, Audit Committee, Boards and the Quality of Reported Earnings, Contemporary Accounting Research, vol. 22: 1093-1122.
- Vera-Muñoz, S.C., 2005, Corporate Governance Reforms: Redefined Expectations of Audit Committee Responsibilities and Effectiveness, Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 62: 115-127.
- Wan-Hussin, W.N., 2009, The Impact of Family-firm Structure and Board Composition on Corporate Transparency: Evidence Based on Segment Disclosures in Malaysia, International Journal of Accounting, vol. 44: 313-333.
- Wei, X., 2007, Wage Compensation for Job-related Illness: Evidence from a Matched Employer and Employee Survey in the UK, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, vol. XXXIV: 85-99.
- Xie, B., Davidson, W.W., DaDalt, P.J., 2003, Earning Management and Corporate Governance: The Role of the Board and Audit Committee, Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 9: 295-316.
- Yasser, Q.R., Entebang, H., Mansor, S.A., 2011, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance in Pakistan: The Case of Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE), Journal of Economic and International Finance, vol. 3: 482-491.
- Yang, J., Krishnan, J., 2005, Audit Committees and Quarterly Earnings Management, International Journal of Auditing, vol. 9: 201-219.
- Yatim, P., Kent, P., Clarkson, P., 2006, Governance Structure, Ethnicity, and Audit Fees of Malaysian Listed Firms, Business Papers, School of Business, Bond University.
- Yim, S., 2013, The Acquisitiveness of Youth: CEO Age and Acquisition Behavior, Journal of Financial Economics, vol. CVIII: 250-273.