Distribution of Structural Funds : Equity, Efficiency and Public Procurement (Czech Republic)
This article deals with structural funds allocation for projects realized by Czech regional and local authorities in the programming period 2007-2013. Geographical distribution of structural funds in the context of the equity and efficiency goals is mapped. Two research questions are formulated in this regard. The first research question concerns the position of lagging regions in structural funds allocation. The second research question maps spatial spillovers of public procurement contracts supported by structural funds. The findings point at a rather disadvantaged position of lagging regions in structural funds allocation. This position is further worsened by spatial spillovers of public procurement contracts. Thus, spatial coherence between the EU and Czech regional policies is questioned. (original abstract)
- Afonso, A., Furceri, D. (2010), Government size, composition, volatility and economic growth, European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 517-532.
- Auteri, M., Costantini, M. (2004), Fiscal policy and economic growth, the case of the Italian regions, The Review of Regional Studies, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 72-94.
- Barro, R.J., Sala-i-Martin, X. (1992), Public finance in models of economic growth, Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 645-661.
- Belas, J., Bartos, P., Habanik, J., Novak, P. (2014), Significant attributes of the business environment in small and medium- sized enterprises, Economics & Sociology, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 22-39.
- Belas, J., Bilan, Y., Demjan, V., Sipko, J. (2015), Entrepreneurship in SMEsegment: case study from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, Amfiteatru Economic, Vol. 17, No. 38, pp. 308-326.
- Beugelsdijk, M., Eijffinger, S.C.W. (2005), The effectiveness of structural policy in the European Union, an empirical analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 37-51.
- Blazek, J., Maceskova, M. (2010), Regional analysis of public capital expenditure. To which regions is public capital expenditure channelled - to 'rich'or to 'poor ones? Regional Studies, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 679-696.
- Boldrin, M., Canova, F. (2001), Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions, reconsidering European regional policies, Economic Policy, Vol. 16, No. 32, pp. 207-253.
- Cabras, I. (2011), Mapping the spatial patterns of public procurement. a case study from a peripheral local authority in Northern England, International Journal of Public Sector Management, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 187-205.
- Camagni, R. (2009), Territorial Impact Assessment for European regions, a methodological proposal and an application to EU Transport Policy, Evaluation and Program Planning, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 342-350.
- Cappelen, A., Castellaci, F., Fagerberg, J., Verspagen, B. (2003), The impact of EU regional support on growth and convergence in the European Union, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 621-644.
- Crescenzi, R. (2009), Undermining the principle of concentration? European Union regional policy and the socio-economic disadvantage of European regions, Regional Studies, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 111-133.
- Crescenzi, R., De Fillipis, F., Pierangeli, F. (2015), In tandem for cohesion? Synergies and conflicts between regional and agricultural policies of the European Union, Regional Studies, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 681-704.
- Dall'erba, S., Le Gallo, J. (2008), Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999, a spatial econometric analysis, Papers in Regional Science, Vol. 87, No. 2, pp. 219-245.
- Davoodi, H., Zou, H. (1998), Fiscal decentralization and economic growth, a cross-country study, Journal of Urban Economics, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 244-257.
- Dellmuth, L.M., Stoffel, M.F. (2012), Distributive politics and intergovernmental transfers: the local allocation of European Union structural funds, European Union Politics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 413-433.
- Dupont, V., Martin, P. (2006), Subsidies to poor regions and inequalities, some unpleasant arithmetic, Journal of Economic Geography, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 223-240.
- Esposti, R., Bussoletti, S. (2008), Impact of Objective 1 funds on regional growth convergence in the European Union, a panel-data approach, Regional Studies, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 159-173.
- Golobic, M., Marot, N. (2011), Territorial Impact Assessment, integrating territorial aspects in sectoral policies, Evaluation and Program Planning, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 163-173.
- Hajek, O., Grebenfcek, P., Novosak, J. (2011), Regional innovation strategies in the Czech Republic, Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 11-19.
- Hajek, O., Novosak, J., Zahradnfk, P., Bednar, P. (2012), Regionalni disparity a financovani regionalnipolitiky - Nektere poznatky z Ceske republiky [Regional disparities andfinancing of regional policy - some lessons from the Czech Republic], Politicka ekonomie, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 330-348.
- Hajek, O., Smekalova, L., Novosak, J., Zahradnfk, P. (2014), Prostorova koherence narodni a evropske regionalni politiky: poznatky z Ceske republiky a Slovenska [Spatial coherence of national and European regional policy: lessons from the Czech Republic and Slovakia], Politicka ekonomie, Vol. 62, No 5, pp. 630-644.
- Heald, D., Short, J. (2002), The regional dimension of public expenditure in England, Regional Studies, Vol. 36, No. 7, pp. 743-755.
- Heidenreich, M., Wunder, C. (2008), Patterns of regional inequality in the enlarged Europe, European Sociological Review, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 19-36.
- Hepp, R., Hagen, von J. (2011), Fiscal federalism in Germany, stabilization and redistribution before and after unification, Publius, The Journal of Federalism, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 234-259.
- Hudson, R. (2007), Regions and regional uneven development forever? Some reflective comments upon theory and practice, Regional Studies. Vol. 41, No. 9, pp. 1149-1160.
- Jaliu, D., Radulescu, C. (2013), Six years in managing structural funds in Romania. Lessons learned, Transylvanian Review of Administrative Science, Vol. 9, No. 38, pp. 79-95.
- Juften, F. (2006), Interregional risk sharing and fiscal redistribution in unified Germany, Papers in Regional Science, Vol. 85, No. 2, pp. 235-255.
- Kaufmann, A., Wagner, P. (2005), EU Regional policy and the stimulation of innovation, the role of the European Regional Development Fund in the Objective 1 Region Burgenland, European Planning Studies, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 581-599.
- Lambrinidis, M., Psycharis, Y., Rovolis, A. (2005), Regional allocation of public infrastructure investment, the case of Greece, Regional Studies, Vol. 39, No. 9, pp. 1231-1244.
- Lolos, S.E.G. (2009), The effect ofEU structural funds on regional growth, assessing the evidence from Greece, 1990-2005, Economic Change Restructuring, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 211-228.
- Morgenroth, E. (2010), Regional dimension of taxes and public expenditure in Ireland, Regional Studies, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 777-789.
- Novosak, J., Hajek, O., Zahradnfk, P., Nekolova, J. (2013), On some aspects of territorial competitiveness: smart specialization in the Zlin 2020 Strategy, Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 3-13.
- Novosak, J., Hajek, O., Smekalova, L., Nekolova, J., Skarka, M. (2015), Territorial cohesion and the geography of EU Cohesion Policy funding in the Czech Republic, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 14, No 3C, pp. 42-59.
- Peck, F., Cabras, I. (2011), The impact of local authority procurement on local economies, the case of Cumbria, North West England, Public Policy and Administration, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 307-331.
- Rodriguez-Pose, A., Ezcurra, R. (2011), Is fiscal decentralization harmful for economic growth? Evidence from the OECD countries, Journal of Economic Geography, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 619-643.
- Schraff, D. (2014), Buying turnout or rewarding loyalists? Electoral mobilization and EU structural funding in the German Lander, European Union Politics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 277-288.
- Smekalova, L., Janfcek, P., Skarka, M., Kozak, V. (2015), Spatial concentration of the cohesion policy projects in nationally delimitated intervention areas: the case of the Czech Republic and Poland, Economics & Sociology, Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Wokoun, R. (2007), Regionalni a strukturalnipolitika (politika soudrznosti) Evropske unie v programovem obdobf 20072013, Urbanismus a uzemnf rozvoj, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 3-7.
- Wildowicz-Giegiel, A., & Wyszkowski, A. (2015), Absorption of EU Funds in the Context of Polish Enterprises Competitiveness Measured by Profitability Ratios. Oeconomia Copernicana, 6(1), pp. 113-123.