Bankruptcy in Czech Republic - from the Perspectives of Debtors, Creditors, and the Judiciary, 2008-2013
The article focuses on the impact of the 2008 Insolvency Act in Czech Republic, which introduced new consumer bankruptcy legislation designed to help debtors become free of unpaid debts. The survey included 664 insolvency proceedings of individuals started in 2008 and ended by 2013. A situation emerges in which we can for the first time evaluate the level of creditors' satisfaction on the basis of concrete data mined from the insolvency register. The aim of article was to identify and compare trends between three key participants of insolvency proceedings - debtors, creditors and judiciary. The survey showed a higher initial debt among males, although they were at the same time able to repay a higher percentage of this debt. For creditors, the survey showed that almost a fifth of receivables are secured, most frequently with real estate. The part focused on the court structure identified differences in time needed for regional courts to pass the rulings. (original abstract)
- Carter, R.& Van Auken, H. (2006), Small firm bankruptcy, Journal of Small Business Management, Vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 493-512. Doi: 10.1111/j.1540-627X.2006.00187.x.
- Cohen-Cole, E., Duygan-Bump, B.& Montoriol-Garriga, J. (2013), Who gets credit after bankruptcy and why?: An information channel, Journal of Banking & Finance, Vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 5101-5117. Doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2013.07.036.
- Davydenko. S.A. & Franks, J.R. (2008), Do Bankruptcy Codes Matter? A Study of Defaults in France, Germany, and the U.K. The Journal ofFinance, Vol. 63, no. 2: p. 565-608. Doi: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2008.01325.
- Hall, G. (1992), Reasons for Insolvency among Small Firms: A Review and Fresh Evidence, Small Business Economics, Vol. 4, no. 3 , pp. 237-250.
- Hásová, J. (2014), Insolvencnf zakon: komentar. Praha: C.H. Beck.
- Insolvency Register. //https://isir.justice.cz/isir/ (referred on 12/10/2015).
- Kozubíková, L., Belás, J., Bilan, Y.& Bartoš, P. (2015), Personal characteristics of entrepreneurs in the context of perception and management of business risk in the SME segment, Economics and Sociology, Vol. 8, no 1, pp. 41-54. Doi: 10.14254/2071-789X.2015/8-1/4.
- Landa, M. (2009), Ekonomika insolvencnlho nzenL Ostrava: Key Publishing.
- Ministry of Justice of the Czech Republic. //http://portal.justice.cz/ (referred on 12/10/2015).
- Paseková, M., Fišerová, Z., Smrčka, L., Bařinová, D. (2015), Debt relief of individuals and the rate of satisfaction of their creditors in the Czech Republic, Proceedings of the 7th International Scientific Conference Finance and Performance of Firms in Science, Education and Practice, pp. 1169-1176, Zlín: Univerzita Tomáše Bati ve Zlíně.
- Richter, T. (2008), Insolvencni pravo. Praha: ASPI.
- Schelleová, I. (2008), Zaklady insolvencnlhoprava. Ostrava: Key Publishing.
- Steiner, V (1996), Zakon o konkursu a vyrovnanl: komentar k zakonu. Praha: Linde.
- Stepherd. D. A., Wiklund. J.& Haynie, J. M. (2007), Moving forward: Balancing the financial and emotional costs of business failure, Journal of business venturing, Vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 134-148. Doi: 10.1016/j.jbusvent.2007.10.002.