Entrepreneur's Attitude towards Innovativeness and Competitive Aggressiveness : the Case Study of Czech Micro-enterprises
The aim of this article is to evaluate the differences in the attitude of micro- enterprises' entrepreneurs to the selected constructs of entrepreneurial orientation (EO), specifically to innovativeness and competitive aggressiveness according to the selected socio-demographic factors (gender, education and duration of doing business by the firm). The research was conducted in the Czech Republic in 2015. On the sample of 740 micro-enterprises, we attempt to find out differences in owners' approaches to innovation and competitive aggressiveness between men and women, entrepreneurs, university educated and other education (secondary school with and without graduation) and "older" (active in the market for more than 10 years) and younger micro-enterprises. More than 50% of the micro-enterprises surveyed regularly develop new products and services in their companies, but only 30 % of them support their activities also with sufficient amount of finances. 66 % of micro-enterprises try to exploit anticipated changes in their target market and 58 % take the initiative to get ahead of competition. We found out, that the factor that caused statistically significant differences between the determined groups was the time of operating in the market. (original abstract)
- Anderson, B. S., Eshima, Y. (2013). The influence of firm age and intangible resources on the relationship between entrepreneurial orientation and firm growth among Japanese SMEs. Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 28, pp. 413-429.
- The association of SMEs and micro-enterprises (2009). Actuality. Available at: http://www.amsp.cz/mikrokredity-novy-evropsky-nastroj-pro-podporu-mikropodniku
- Ayub, A., Razzaq, A., Aslam, M. S., Iftekhar, H. (2013).Gender effects on entrepreneurial orientation and value innovation: evidence from Pakistan. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences, Vol. 2, No 1, pp. 82-90.
- Belás, J., Demjan, V., Habánik, J., Hudáková, M., Sipko, J. (2015), The business environment of small and medium- sized enterprises in selected regions of the Czech Republic and Slovakia, E+M Ekonomie a Management,Vol. 18, No 1, pp. 308-326.
- Dvir, D., Sadeh, A., Malach-Pines. A. (2010). The Fit between Entrepreneurs' Personalities and the Profile of the Ventures the Manage and Business Success: An Exploratory Study. Journal of High Technology Management Research, Vol. 21, No 1, January, pp. 43-51.
- European Commission (2006). The new definition of small and medium-sized enterprises (user guide and declaration model). ISBN 92-894-7917-5. Available at: http://www.szif.cz/cs/CmDocument rid 2Fapa_ anon 2Fcs 2Fdokumenty_ke_stazeni 2Feafrd 2F1182414202559.pdf
- Goktan, A. B., Gupta, V. K. (2015), "Sex, gender, and individual entrepreneurial orientation: evidence from four countries", International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Vol. 11, pp. 95-112.
- Kozubíková, L., Belás, J., Bilan, Y., Bartoš, P. (2015a). Personal characteristics of entrepreneurs in the context of perception and management of business risk in the SME segment. Economics and Sociology, Vol. 8, No 1, pp. 42-55.
- Kozubíková, L., Belás, J., Ključnikov, A., Virglerová, Z. (2015b). Differences in approach to selected constructs of entrepreneurial orientation in SME segment regarding the selected socio-demographic factors. Transformation in Business nad Economic, Vol. 14, No. 3C(36C), pp. 333-355.
- Lim, S., Envick, B. R. (2013). Gender and entrepreneurial orientation: a multi-country study. Int Entrep Manag J, Vol.9, pp. 465-482.
- Lukeš, M. (2013). Entrepreneurs as innovators: A multi-country study on entrepreneurs' innovative behavior. Prague Economic Papers, Vol. 22, No 1, pp. 72-84.
- Lumpkin, G. T., Dess, G. G. (1996). Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 21, No 1, pp. 135-172.
- Mahmood, R., Hanafi, N. (2013). Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance of Women-Owned Small and Medium Enterprises in Malaysia: Competitive Advantage as a Mediator. International Journal of Business and Social Science. Vol. 4, No 1, pp. 82-90.
- Mason, M. C., Floreani, J., Miani, S., Beltrame, F., Cappelletto, R. (2015). Understanding the Impact of Entrepreneurial Orientation on SMEs' Performance. The Role of The Financing Structure. 2nd Global Conference on Business, Economics, Management and Tourism, 30-31 October, Prague, Czech Republic. Procedia Economics & Finance, Vol. 23, pp. 1649-1661.
- Miller, D. (1983). The correlates of entrepreneurship in three types of firms. Management Science, Vol. 29, No 7, pp. 770-791.
- Mishra, S., Lalumiere, M. L. (2011). Individual differences in risk-propensity: Associations between personality and behavioral measures of risk. Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.50, No 6, pp. 869-873.
- Moss, T. W., Neubaum, D. O., Meyskens, M. (2015). The Effect of Virtuous and Entrepreneurial Orientations on Microfinance Lending and Repayment: A Signaling Theory Perspective. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 39, No 1, pp. 27-52.
- Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic (2015). Report on the development of small and medium-sized enterprises and their support in 2014. Praha: MPO CR. Available at http://www.mpo.cz/dokument164106. html
- Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic (2013). Concept of Support for SMEs for a period 20142020. Available at http://www.businessinfo.cz/cs/c\anky/koncepce-po\itiky-msp-20l4-2020-27913.htm\, 11. 1. 2013.
- Omerzel, G. D., Kusce, I. (2013). The influence of personal and environmental factors on entrepreneurs' performance. Kybernetes,Vol. 42, No 6, pp. 906-927.
- Runyan, C. R., Huddleston, P., Swinney, J. (2006). Entrepreneurial orientation and social capital as small firm strategies: a case study of gender differences from resources-based view. Entrepreneurship Management, Vol. 2, pp. 455-477.
- Sanchez-Escobedo, M. C., Diaz-Casero, J. C., Hernandez-Mogollon, R., Postigo-Jimenez, M.V. (2011). Perceptions and attitudes towards entrepreneurship. An analysis of gender among university students. International Entrepreneurship Management Journal, Vol. 7, pp. 443-463.
- Valencia-de Lara, P., Araque-Hontangas, N. (2012). Personality traits and attitudes of an entrepreneur: An empirical study. Actual Problems of Economics, Vol. 3, pp. 350-358.
- Venkatraman, N. (1989). Strategic orientation of business enterprises: the construct, dimensionality, and measurement. Management Science, Vol. 35, No 8, pp. 942-962.
- Zhang, Y., Duysters, G., Cloodt, M. (2013). The role of entrepreneurship education as a predictor of university students' entrepreneurial intention. Int Entrep Manag J, Vol. 10, pp. 623-641.
- Zortea-Johnston, E., Darroch, J., Matear, S., (2012). Business orientation and innovation in small medium-sized enterprises. International entrepreneurship Management Journal, Vol. 8, pp. 145-164.