Immigration Policies in Lithuania: Institutional and Legislative Developments, Challenges and Opportunities
Analysing national programmes, state strategies and other documents that regulate immigration and migrant integration in Lithuania, this article provides an overview of policy priorities in this field before and after the enlargement of the European Union (EU). The main theoretical approaches of migration processes and policies are reviewed to conceptualise the field in which the Lithuanian immigration and migrant integration polices are to be analysed. The article covers different types of immigration, reveals main immigration trends and provides contextual information: policy responses and political discussions, public debates and societal attitudes towards immigration. It touches on the newest legislative and institutional developments in the field concerned and reveals that before 2014, immigration policy in Lithuania was based on the so-called ad hoc principle, while during the first half of 2014, a new trend emerged as the government adopted the 'Lithuanian Migration Policy Guidelines' and 'Action Plan for Implementation of the Policy for the Integration of Foreigners'. At the same time, integration of foreigners as a new area of policy emerged in the Ministry of Social Security of Labour. Migrant integration is becoming a prioritised policy area. However, its challenging aspect has to be emphasised as deeper analysis of migrant integration infrastructure revealed that project-based activities, supported by the EU funds, have already managed to 'change' the implementation of migrant integration policy at state level.(original abstract)
- Bartušienė D. (2011), The Ethnography of Asylum: Refugees' Experience with Health Care in Lithuania. Doctoral Dissertation, Kaunas: Vytautas Magnus University.
- Beresnevičiūtė V., Žibas K. (2012), Monitoring Systems for the Integration of Ethnic Minorities and Immigrants in Lithuania, in: R. Bijl and A. Verweij (eds.), Measuring and Monitoring Immigrant Integration in Europe. Integration Policies and Monitoring Efforts in 17 European Countries, The Hague: The Netherlands Institute for Social Research/ SCP, pp. 221-238.
- Brettell C.B., Hollifield J.F. (ed.) (2000), Migration Theory: Talking across Disciplines, Routledge.
- Demographic yearbooks, Vilnius: Department of Statistics, http://estatistika.stat.gov.lt/.
- Erentaitė R., Pilinkaitė-Sotirovič V. (2012), The Gender Perspective in Migration: Analysis of Third Country Nationals in Lithuania, "Ethnicity Studies", issue 1/2, pp. 178-203.
- EU Integration Fund (2013), Fostering Political Participation and Policy Involvement of Migrants in 9 Central and Eastern EU Countries (2013-2015), Action under the EU Integration Fund - grant agreement No. HOME/2013/EIFX/CA/CFP/4234 and 30-CE- 0586560/00/-09, http://www.migrant-participation.eu.
- Faist T. (2000), The Volume and Dynamics of International Migration and Transnational Spaces. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Favell A. (2008), The New Face of East-West Migration in Europe. "Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies", Vol. 34, no. 5, July 2008, pp. 701-716.
- Favell A. (2006), After Enlargement: Europe's New Migration Systems, Copenhagen: Danish Institute for International Studies.
- Kaźmierkiewicz P. (2009), The Situation of Migrants from Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine on the Labour Markets of Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland and the Slovak Republic. Research Report, 2009, http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/4ed8edfa2.pdf.
- Kazlauskienė A., Rinkevičius L. (2006), Lithuanian 'Brain Drain' Causes: Push and Pull Factors. "Engineering Economics", no. 1 (46), pp. 27-37.
- Kovalenko J., Mensah P., Leončikas T., Žibas K. (2010), New Immigrants in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Legal Information Centre for Human Rights (Estonia) AFROLAT (Latvia). Lithuanian Social Research Centre (Lithuania), Tallinn.
- Krupickaitė D., Poviliūnas A. (2012), Social Impact of Emigration and Rural-Urban Migration in Central and Eastern Europe. Final Country Report, Lithuania.
- Lithuanian Social Research Centre (2009), Third Country Nationals in Lithuania: Assessment and Indexes of Integration Policy. Research, funded by the European Fund for the Integration of Third-Country Nationals, annual program 2007. Research report. Vilnius, http://www.ces.lt/2009/02/lietuvoje-gyvenanciu-treciuju-saliu-pilieciu-integraci jos-politikos-vertinimo-principai-ir-rodikliai.
- Lithuanian Social Research Centre (2013), Asylum in Lithuania: Legal and Sociological Focus. "Ethnicity Studies" 2013, no. 1.
- Lithuanian Social Research Centre (2014), The Trajectories and Evaluation Mechanisms of Integration of Third-country Nationals. Research, funded by the European Fund for the Integration of Third-Country Nationals, annual program 2012. Research report. Vilnius, http://www.ces.lt/projektai/buve-projektai/migracijos-tyrimu-projektai/treciujusaliu-pilieciu-integracijos-trajektorijos-ir-vertinimo-mechanizmai.
- Lithuanian Social Research Centre (2015), Living and working conditions of labour migrants in Lithuania. Research, funded by the European Fund for the Integration of Third-Country Nationals, annual program 2013. Research Report. Vilnius, http://www.ces.lt/projektai/vykdomi-projektai/darbo-migrantu-gyvenimo-ir-darbo-salygu-tyrimaslietuvoje.
- Massey D.S., Arango J., Hugo G., Kovaouci A., Pellegrino A., Taylor J.E. (1993), Theories of international migration: a review and appraisal, "Population and Development Review", Vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 431-466.
- Má rmora L. (1999), International Migration Policies and Programmes, Genève: International Organization for Migration.
- Migrant Integration (2009), Migrant Integration: Third-Country Nationals in Lithuania (2009), "Ethnicity Studies", issue 2. Migration yearbooks, Migration Department, www.migracija.lt.
- Pilinkaitė-Sotirovič V., Žibas K. (2011), Ethnic and Social Groups in Lithuania: Societal Attitudes and their Changes. "Ethnicity Studies", issue 1/2, pp. 136-155. Studies carried out by the European Migration Network Vilnius, http://emn.lt/category/tyrimai/studijos.
- Vildaitė D., Žibas K. (2010), Overview of Public Opinion Polls Carried out by the Institute for Ethnic Studies (2005-2010), "Ethnicity Studies", issue 1/2, pp. 121-137.
- Žalimas D. (2013). Access to Electoral Rights: Lithuania. European University Institute, Florence, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, EUDO Citizenship Observatory, June 2013.
- Žibas K. (2013), Asylum in Lithuania: Legal and Sociological Focus, "Ethnicity Studies", iss. 1, pp. 7-18.
- Žibas K. (2009), International Migration in Lithuania: Problems and Concepts, "Ethnicity Studies", issue 2, pp. 7-16.
- Žibas K. (2010), Perceptions of Immigration in Lithuanian Society, "OIKOS: Lithuanian Migration and Diaspora Studies", issue 2, pp. 9-30.
- Žydžiūnaitė V. (2012), Tool for the Evaluation of Integration of Foreigners Granted Asylum. Monograph. Tolerant Youth Association, the European Refugee Fund, Vytautas Magnus University. Vilnius, Public Institution 'Sorre'.
- Decree of the Minister of Social Security and Labour on Approval of the 2015-2017 Action Plan for Implementation of the Policy for the Integration of Foreigners. 2014.12.31. No. A1-683.
- Decree of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania On the composition of coordinating working group for integration of foreigners. 2014.01.22. No. 54.
- Document of the Common Programming of Lithuania, 2004-2006, http://www.smm.lt/es_parama/docs/2004-preliminarus_BPD_02.pdf.
- Law of the Republic of Lithuania, On the Legal Status of Aliens, no. VIII-978, 17.12.1998, Official Gazette, 1998, no. 115-3236.
- Law of Republic of Lithuania, On the Legal Status of Aliens, no. IX-2206, 29.04.2004, Official Gazette, 2004, no. 73-2539, art. 107.
- Law of Republic of Lithuania, Law on Citizenship, no. XI-1196, Official Gazette, 2002, No. 95-4087.
- Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania, Long-term strategy of Lithuanian economy (economic) development up to 2015. Vilnius, 2002.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania, On Lithuanian policy of economic migration. 28.12.2007.
- Ministry of Social Security and Labour of the Republic of Lithuania, Report of implementation of the plan of Economic Migration Regulation Strategy and its implementation means, 2007-2008, no. SD-3725, 29.04.2009.
- Ministry of Social Security and Labour of the Republic of Lithuania, On the approval of program of management and control system in Lithuania for integration of third country nationals, 2007-2013, no. A1-250, 20.09.2007, Official Gazette 2007, no. 100-4096.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania, Principles of Lithuanian immigration policy, http://www.urm.lt/index.php?401152843.
- Program of Human Resources Development, 2007-2013, p. 94. Vilnius, 2007, http://www. esparama.lt/ES_Parama/strukturines_paramos_2007_1013m._medis/titulinis/files/1VP_ ZIP_2007-07-30.pdf.
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, On Economic Migration Regulation Strategy, no. 416, 25.04.2007.
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania On Confirmation of Landmarks of Lithuanian Migration Policy, no. 1317, 03.12.2008.
- Resolution of the Seimas of Republic of Lithuania, State Strategy of Long-Term Development, no. IX-1187, 12.11.2002, Official Gazette, 2002, no. 113-5029.
- Resolution of the Seimas of Republic of Lithuania, Strategy of National Demographic (Population) Policy, no. 1350, 28.10.2004, Official Gazette, 2004, no. 159-5795.
- Resolution of the Seimas of Republic of Lithuania, On Government Program of Republic of Lithuania, no. XI-52, 09.12.2008.
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, On Approval of the Lithuanian Migration Policy Guidelines, No. 79, 22.01. 2014.
- Strategy of National Demographic (Population) Policy, no. 1350, 28.10.2004, Official Gazette, 2004, no. 159-5795.
- The Republic of Lithuania, Immigration Law, no. I-1755, 04.09.1992, Official Gazette, 1991, no. 27-730.
- The Government of the Republic of Lithuania, National anti-discriminative program 2009-2011, no. 317, 15.04.2009, http://www.lrv.lt/Posed_medz/2009/090309/02.pdf. The Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania, Long-term strategy of Lithuanian economy (economic) development up to 2015. Vilnius, 2002.