Values Congruence from the Executives' Viewpoint : Value-Based Practices
The permanent dilemma of congruence between personal and organizational values, prevailing in the research, fosters the new search for answers and the ways to achieve the coherence of employees and organizations. Therefore, this paper investigates the ways of strengthening the congruence of personal and organizational values as applied in organizations from the viewpoint of executives and how to harmonize individual values and those prevailing in organizations. The study is conducted using a semi-structured interview method, giving informants additional questions arising in the course of the interview. The executives of 8 organizations participated in the research. It was found that the causes for value' incongruence of the person and the organization in the researched organizations are different, and the gap is determined by different experiences with value management in the organizations presented in this paper. (original abstract)
- Adkins, C. L., Russell, C. J., Werbel, J. D. (1994), Judgments of Fit in the Selection Process: The Role of Work Value Congruence, Personnel Psychology, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 605-623.
- Agarwal, P., Sagar, P. (2012), The Impact of Person-Organization Value Congruence on Organizational Commitment in a Public Sector Organization, International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, Vol. 3, No. 9, pp. 151-156.
- Amos, E., Weathington, B. L. (2008), An analysis of the relation between employeeorganization value congruence and employee attitudes, The Journal of Psychology, Vol. 142, No. 6, pp. 615-631.
- Begley, T. M., Boyd, D. P. (2000), Articulating Corporate Values through Human Resource Policies, Business Horizons, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 8-12.
- Billsberry, J. (2007), Attracting for values: an empirical study of ASA's attraction proposition, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 22. No. 2, pp. 132-149.
- Bouckenooghe, D., Buelens, M., Fontaine, J., Vanderheyden, K. (2005), The prediction of stress by values and value conflict, The Journal of Psychology, Vol. 139, No. 4, pp. 369-382.
- Bourne, H., Jenkins, M. (2013), Organizational values: A dynamic perspective, Organization Studies, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 495-514.
- Bradley, A., Caldwell, C. (1999), Understanding Research on Values in Business: A Level of Analysis Framework, Business and Society, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 326-387.
- Brčić, R., Vuković, K. (2008), Uloga organizacijskih vrijednosti u javnoj upravi, Ekonomski pregled, Vol. 59, No. 1-2, pp. 51-69.
- Cable, D. M., DeRue, D. S. (2002), The Convergent and Discriminant Validity of Subjective Fit Perceptions, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 87, No. 5, pp. 875-884.
- Cable, D. M., Edwards, J. R. (2004), Complementary and Supplementary Fit: A Theoretical and Empirical Integration, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 89, No. 5, pp. 822-834.
- Cable, D. M., Judge, T. A. (1996), Person-Organization Fit, Job Choice Decisions, and Organizational Entry, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 294-311.
- Cennamo, L., Gardner, D. (2008), Generational Differences in Work Values, Outcomes and Person-Organization Values Fit, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 891-906.
- Chatman, J. A. (1989), Improving Interactional Organizational Research: A Model of Person-Organization Fit, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 333-349.
- Chiang, F., Birtch, T. (2010), Pay for Performance and Work Attitudes: The mediating Role of Employee-Organization Service Value Congruence, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 632-640.
- Collins, J. C., Porras, J. I. (1996), Building Your Company's Vision, Harvard Business review.
- Devero, A. (2003), Corporate Values: Stimulus for the Bottom Line, Financial Executive, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 20-23.
- Dickson, M. W., Resick, C. J., Hanges, P. J. (2006), When organizational climate is unambiguous, it is also strong, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 91, pp. 351-364.
- Dolan, S. (2011), Coaching by values: A guide to success in the life of business and the business of life, Bloominghton, IN: iUniverse, Inc.
- Dolan, S., García , S., Richley, B. (2006), Managing by values: A corporate guide to living, being alive, and making a living in the 21st century, London; New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Drašković, V. (2010), The Real Institutionalization as a Condition of the Efficient Economic Politics and Economic Development, Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 7(1), pp.5-20.
- Draskovic, V., Draskovic, M. (2012), Institutional Nihilism of the Post-Socialist Transition, Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 8(2,) pp.191-206.
- Edwards, J. R., Cable, D. M. (2009), The Value of Value Congruence, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 94, No. 3, pp. 654-677.
- Finegan, J. E. (2000), The Impact of Person and Organizational Values on Organizational Commitment, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 73, No. 2, pp. 149-154.
- Fitzpatrick, R. L. (2007), A literature review exploring values alignment as a proactive approach to conflict management, International Journal of Conflict Management, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 280-305.
- Greguras, G. J., Diefendorff, J. M. (2009), Different Fits Satisfy Different Needs: Linking Person-Environment Fit to Employee Attitudes and Performance Using Self-Determination Theory, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 94, No. 2, pp. 465-477.
- Hoffman, B. J., Bynum, B. H., Piccolo, R. F., Sutton, A. W. (2011), Person-organization value congruence: How transformational leaders influence work group effectiveness, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 770-796.
- Huang, M., Cheng, B., Chou, L. (2005), Fitting in Organizational Values: The Mediating Role of Person-Organization Fit between CEO Charismatic Leadership and Employee Outcomes, International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 35-49.
- Hultman, K. (2006), Values-driven change: Strategies and tools for long-term success, Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.
- Jehn, K. A., Chadwick, C., Sherry Thatcher, S. (1997), To agree or not to agree: Diversity, conflict, and group outcomes, International Journal of Conflict Management, Vol. 8, pp. 287-306.
- Jehn, K., Northcraft, G., Neale, M. (1999), Why differences make a difference: A field study of diversity, conflict, and performance in workgroups, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 741-763.
- Jin, J., Rounds, J. (2012), Stability and change in work values: A meta-analysis of longitudinal studies, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 80, No. 2, pp. 326-339.
- Kallas, E., Mõtsmees, P., Reino, A. (2010), Tuning Organizational Values on Job Satisfaction: The Case of International Manufacturing Corporation, Review of International Comparative Management, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 708-718.
- Knoppen, D., Dolan, S., Díez Piñol, M., Bell, R. (2006), A triangulation analysis of value congruency in corporate Spain: American dream or spanish reality? International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 539-558.
- Kristof, A. L. (1996), Person-organization fit: An integrative review of its conceptualizations, measurements, and implications, Personnel Psychology, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 1-49.
- Lamm, E., Gordon, J. R., Purser, R. E. (2010), The role of value congruence in organizational change, Organization Development Journal, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 49-64.
- Lauver, K. J., Kristof-Brown, A. L. (2001), Distinguishing between Employees' Perceptions of Person-Job and Person-Organization Fit, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 454-470.
- Lawrence, A. (2006), Person-Organization Congruence of High Performance Values in Australian Universities, International Journal of Knowledge, Culture & Change Management, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 173-182.
- Leung, A., Chaturvedi, S. (2011), Linking the Fits, Fitting the Links: Connecting Different Types of PO Fit to Attitudinal Outcomes, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 79, No. 2, pp. 391-402.
- Liedtka, J. M. (1989), Value Congruence: The Interplay of Individual and Organizational Value Systems, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 805-815.
- Lok, P., Crawford, J. (2000), Antecedents of organizational commitment and the mediating role of job satisfaction, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp. 594-613.
- Malbašić, I., Brčić, R. (2012), Organizational values in managerial communication, Management, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 99-118.
- McDonald, P., Gandz, J. (1994), Getting Value from Shared Values, Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 64-77.
- Medina, F. J., Munduate, L., Dorado, M. A., Martínez, I., Guerra, J. M. (2005), Types of intragroup conflict and affective reactions, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 20, No. 3-4, pp. 219-230.
- Meglino, B. M., Ravlin, E. C. (1998), Individual Values in Organizations: Concepts, Controversies, and Research, Journal of Management, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 351-389.
- Michailova, S., Minbaeva, D. B. (2012), Organizational values and knowledge sharing in multinational corporations: The Danisco case, International Business Review, Vol. 21, pp. 59-70.
- Ostroff, C., Judge, T. A. (eds.) (2007), Perspectives on Organizational Fit, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Ostroff, Ch., Shin, Y., Kinicki, A. (2005), Multiple Perspectives of Congruence: Relationships between Value Congruence and Employee Altitudes, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 591-623.
- Patton, M. (2002), Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd ed.), Thousand Oaks: Sage publications.
- Posner, B. Z. (2010), Another Look at the Impact of Personal and Organizational Values Congruence, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 97, No. 4, pp. 535-541.
- Ren, T. (2010), Value Congruence as a Source of Intrinsic Motivation, Kyklos, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 94-109.
- Ren, T., Hamann, D. J. (2015), Employee value congruence and job attitudes: the role of occupational status, Personnel Review, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 550-566.
- Seong, J. Y., Kristof-Brown, A. L, (2012), Testing multidimensional models of person-group fit, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 536-556.
- Siegall, M., McDonald, T. (2004), Person-Organization Value Congruence, Burnout and Diversion of Resources, Personnel Review, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 291-301.
- Silverthorne, C. (2004), The Impact of Organizational Culture and Person-Organization Fit on Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction in Taiwan, Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 592-599.
- Silvia, D., Simona, M. M. (2013), Research methods used in analysing organisational culture. Annals, Economic Science Series, Vol. 69, pp. 413-419.
- Suar, D., Khuntia, R. (2010), Influence of Personal Values and Value Congruence on Unethical Practices and Work Behavior, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 97, No. 3, pp. 443-460.
- Thamarajakshi, R. (2001), Promotion of social dialogue in EPZs in South Asia: Synthesis of country experiences', In: A. S. Oberai., A. Sivananthiran & C. S. Venkata Ratnam (eds.), Labour Issues in Export Processing Zones in South Asia: Role of Social Dialogue, New Delhi: International Labour Organisation.
- Verplanken, B. (2004), Value Congruence and Job Satisfaction among Nurses: A Human Relations Perspective, International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 599-605.
- Vveinhardt, V., Andriukaitiene, R. (2015), Determination of the Level of Management Culture and Social Responsibility in a Regional Organisation of Local Self-Government, Transformation in Business and Economics, Vol. 14, No. 2 (35), pp. 204-224.
- Westerman, J. W., Cyr, L. A. (2004), An Integrative Analysis of Person-Organization Fit Theories, International Journal of Selection and Assessment, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 252-261.
- Zukauskas P., Vveinhardt J. (2009), Socio-demographic characteristics of mobbing and discrimination in employee relations, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 8, No. 3(18), Supplement A, pp. 128-147.