Unia Europejska jako obserwator przy Zgromadzeniu Ogólnym Organizacji Narodów Zjednoczonych
The European Union as an Observer at the United Nations General Assembly
Celem prezentowanego opracowania jest scharakteryzowanie praw, jakie dla Unii Europejskiej wynikają z postanowień rezolucji 65/276. Osiągnięcie tak zakreślonego celu wymaga jednak w pierwszej kolejności przedstawienia dotychczasowego statusu Unii w Zgromadzeniu Ogólnym ONZ (jako "zwykłego" obserwatora), a także charakterystyki wysiłków podjętych przez UE bezpośrednio przed uchwaleniem omawianej rezolucji. (fragment tekstu)
The purpose of the present paper is to characterise the UN General Assembly (UNGA) Resolution No. 65/276 on the 'Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations. This resolution was adopted as a result of efforts undertaken by the EU following the entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon which radically changed the principles and conditions of the EU's participation in other international organisations. Pursuant to the provisions of Resolution 65/276, the EU was granted a new set of new rights at the UNGA as well as in some of its subsidiary bodies, international conferences and meetings held under its auspices. Despite these changes, the status of the EU at the UNGA is not similar to the status of observer states, and Resolution 65/276 points out that the same rights may also be accorded to other regional international organisations. Consequently, the UNGA does not account for the uniqueness of the integration process in the EU member states, treating the EU like any other international organisation. (original abstract)
- A/RES/3208/XXIX. Status of the European Economic Community in the General Assembly, 11 October 1974.
- A/RES/65/276. Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations.
- Annex to the letter dated 9 May 2011 from the Permanent Representative of the Bahamas to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General: Interpretative Declaration by the Bahamas on behalf of the CARICOM, 3 May 2011, in connection with General Assembly resolution 65/276, entitled "Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations", A/65/834.
- Council of the European Union: Resolution on the effective participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations General Assembly: Tabling the draft resolution, 7309/11, Brussels, 16 March 2011.
- Council of the European Union: Resolution on the Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations: Actions on the draft resolution, 8799/1/11 REV 1, Brussels, 15 April 2011.
- Council of the European Union: Resolution on the Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations: Adoption, 10100/11, Brussels, 12 May 2011.
- Draft Resolution: Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations, A/64/L.67, 31 August 2010.
- E. Suy, The Status of Observers in International Organizations, RdC 1978, t. 2.
- European Parliament: Resolution on the Role of the Union within the UN and Problems of reforming the UN, A-3/0331/93, OJ 1994, C 61.
- Full Participation of the European Community in the Commission on Sustainable Development, Dec. 1995/201.
- G. Grabowska, Obserwatorzy państw w powszechnych organizacjach międzynarodowych, Warszawa 1978.
- G. Grevi, From Lisbon to New York: The EU at the UN General Assembly, FRIDE Policy Brief, No. 81, June 2011.
- Guidelines for Implementation of General Assembly Resolutions Granting Observer Status on a Regular Basis to Certain Regional Intergovernmental Organizations, the Palestine Liberation Organization and the National Liberation Movements in Africa, Note for the Secretariat, 31 January 1975, "United Nations Juridical Yearbook" 1975.
- H.G. Schermers, N.M. Blokker, International Institutional Law, The Hague 1995.
- J. Wouters, J. Odermatt, T. Ramopoulos, The Status of the European Union at the United Nations after the General Assembly Resolution of 3 May 2011, Global Governance Opinions, July 2011.
- J. Wouters, The European Union as an Actor within the United Nations General Assembly, K.U. Leuven, Faculty of Law, Institute for International Law, "Working Paper" 2001, nr 2 (May).
- K.E. Jorgensen, R.A. Wessel, The Position of the European Union in (Other) International Organizations: Confronting Legal and Political Approaches, w: P. Koutrakos (red.), European Foreign Policy: Legal and Political Perspectives, Edward Elgar Publishing 2011.
- Legal Status of the Permanent Observer Mission of the Organization of the Islamic Conference - Privileges and Immunities of Non-State Entities Invited to Participate as Observers in United Nations Meetings (Letter to the Permanent Representative of a Member State), "United Nations Juridical Yearbook" 1999.
- M. Emmerson, J. Wouters, The EU's Diplomatic Debacle at the UN. What Else and What Next?, "Centre for European Policy Studies", 1 October 2010.
- M. Menkes, Rewizja statusu obserwatora UE przy ONZ (miedzy regionalizmem a uniwersalizmem), "Państwo i Prawo" 2012, z. 11.
- N. Sybesma-Knol, The Continuing Relevance of the Participation of Observers in the Work of the United Nations, w: K. Wellens (red.), International Law, Theory and Practice - Essays in Honour of Eric Suy, The Hague 1998.
- Note by the Secretary General: Participation of the European Union in the work of the United Nations, A/65/856.
- Observer status for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources in the General Assembly, A/RES/54/195, 17 February 2000, § 2.
- Observer Status in the General Assembly for the Inter-Parliamentary Union - Procedures for Obtaining Observer Status with the United Nations for Intergovernmental Organizations - Question Whether the Secretary-General May Intervene in the Process (Memorandum to the Assistant Secretary-General for External Relations, "United Nations Juridical Yearbook" 2000.
- P.A. Serrano de Haro, Participation of the European Union in the Work of the United Nations: General Assembly Resolution 65/276, "CLEER Working Papers" 2012/4.
- Participation of Observers in the Ad Hoc Committee to Elaborate International Conventions for the Suppression of Terrorist Bombings and Acts of Nuclear Terrorism - the Right to Attend or Participate as Observers in the Sessions and Work of General Assembly (Note to the Director of the Codification Division, Office of Legal Affairs), "United Nations Juridical Yearbook" 2000.
- Participation of the Holy See in the work of the United Nations, Note by the Secretary General, A/58/871, 16 August 2004.
- Procedures for Obtaining Observer Status with the General Assembly of the United Nations, (Facsimile to the Legal Counsel of the South Pacific Regional Environmental Programme), "United Nations Juridical Yearbook" 1998.
- Provisional Rules of Procedure of the Security Council, New York, 1983, S/96/Rev.7.
- R. Tarnogórski, Unia Europejska w ONZ: multilateralizm w praktyce, "Biuletyn PISM" nr 72 (821), 8 lipca 2011 r.
- R.A. Wessel, The Legal Framework for the Participation of the European Union in International Institutions, "Journal of European Integration" 33, 2011.
- Relationship Agreement between the United Nations and the International Criminal Court, UNTS, vol. 2283, II-1272.
- Rezolucja A/RES/51/6 dotyczącą Międzynarodowej Organizacji Dna Morskiego.
- Right to Vote of a Union or Group of Member States. Rights of the European Community in the General Assembly (Letter to the Director, Office of International Standards and Legal Affairs, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), "United Nations Juridical Yearbook" 1995.
- Seung Hwan Choi, The Status, Rights and. Duties of Observers for Non-Member States of the United Nations, "Korean Journal of Comparative Law" 19,1991.
- Statement by the High Representative Catherine Ashton on the adoption of the UN General Assembly Resolution on the EU's participation in the work of the UN, Brussels, 3 May 2011, A 172/11.
- UNGA Official Records, A/64/PV.122, 14 September 2010.
- UNGA Official Records, A/65/PV.88, 3 May 2011.