Collateral and SME financing in Bangladesh : an Analysis Across Bank Size and Bank Ownership Types
We examine the issue of pledging collateral and its effect on access to credit, interest rates and credit risk of SMEs financing in Bangladesh with respect to bank size. We also examine the collateral classification (fixed assets collateral, personal guarantee and third-party guarantee) by bank ownership types to find what types of collateral are preferred by public, private and foreign banks in Bangladesh for lending to firms. In addition to that, we examine whether collateral requirements are different between large and small banks as they have different incentives for collateral based lending. Our empirical results suggest that small banks have no additional incentives to provide loans based on the collateral security than large banks. Hence, we did not find any evidence that collateral can increase access to credit for SMEs from small banks. Similarly, we also did not find any effect of collateral on interest rates or collateral security can lower the default rates of the SME loans and the results are similar regardless bank size. With regards to collateral segmentation across bank ownership types and bank size, our regression's results suggest that each type of banks has its own preferences about collateral requirements while lending to firms. Therefore, we conclude that depending on bank internal policy commercial banks ask for different collateral, which comply with the best interests of banks. (original abstract)
- Beck, T., Demirguc-Kunt, A., Laeven, L. and Maksimovic, V. (2006), The determinants of financing obstacles, Journal of International Money and Finance, 25, pp. 932-952.
- Beck, T., Demirguc-Kunt, A. and Martinez Peira, M.S. (2011), Bank financing for SMEs: evidence across countries and bank ownership types, Journal of Financial Services Research, 39, pp. 35-54.
- Berger, A.N., Black, L.K. (2011), Bank size, lending technologies, and small business finance. Journal of Banking and Finance, 35, pp. 724-735.
- Berger, A., Espinosa-Vega, M.A., Frame, W.S. and Miller, N.H. (2011), Why do borrowers pledge collateral? New evidence on the role of asymmetric information, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 20, pp. 55-70.
- Berger, A.N., Goldberg, L.G. and White, L.J. (2001), The effect of dynamic changes in bank competition on the supply of small business credit, European Finance Review, 5, pp. 115-139.
- Berger, A.N., Klapper, L.F. and Udell, G.F. (2001), The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small business, Journal of Banking and Finance, 25, pp. 2127-2167.
- Berger, A.N., Miller, N.H., Petersen, M.A., Rajan, R.G. and Stein, J.C. (2005), Does function follow organizational form? Evidence from the lending practices of large and small banks, Journal of Financial Economics, 76, pp. 237-269.
- Berger, A.N. and Udell, G.F. (2002), Small business credit availability and relationship lending: the importance of bank organisational structure, The Economic Journal, 112 (477), pp. 32-53.
- Berger, A.N. and Udell, G.F. (2005), Relationship lending and lines of credit in small firm finance, Journal of Business, 68, pp. 551-572.
- Berger, A.N. and Udell, G.F. (2006), A more complete conceptual framework for SME finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, 30, pp. 2945-2966.
- Blazy, R. and Weill, L. (2013), Why do banks ask for collateral in SME lending? Applied Financial Economics, 23(13), pp. 1109-1122.
- Brick, I.E. and Palia, D. (2007), Evidence of jointness in the terms of relationship lending, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 16, pp. 452-476.
- Canales, R. and Nanda, R. (2012), A darker side to decentralized banks: market power and credit rationing in SME lending, Journal of Financial Economics, 105, pp. 353-366.
- Carter, D.A., McNulty, J.E. and Verbrugge, J.A. (2004), Do small banks have an advantage in lending? An examination of risk-adjusted yields on business loans at large and small banks, Journal of Financial Services Research, 25, pp. 233.252.
- Chakraborty, A. and Hu, C.X. (2006), Lending relationships in line-of-credit and nonline-of -credit loans: Evidence from collateral use in small business, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 15, pp. 86-107.
- Cole, R.A., Goldberg, L.G. and White, L.J. (2004), Cookie cutter vs. Character: The micro structure of small business lending by large and small banks, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 39(2), pp. 227-251.
- Cole, S. (2009), Fixing market failures or fixing elections? Agricultural credit in India, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 1, pp. 219-250.
- Comeig, I., Fernandaze-Blanco, M.O. and Ramirez, F. (2015), Information acquisition in SME's relationship lending and cost of loans, Journal of Business Research, 68, pp. 1650-1652.
- Davydenko, S. and Frank, J. (2008), Do bankruptcy codes matter? A study of defaults in France, Germany and the UK, Journal of Finance, 63, pp. 565-608.
- Degryse, H. and Van Cayseele, P. (2000), Relationship lending within a bank-based system: evidence from European small business data, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 9, pp. 90-109.
- Feder, G., Tongroj, O., Tejaswi, R. (1988), Collateral, guaranties and rural credit in developing countries: evidence from Asia. Agricultural Economics, 2, pp. 231-245.
- Gama, A.P.M. and Duarte, F.D. (2015), Collateral and relationship lending in loan pricing: evidence from UK SMEs, WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, 12, pp. 21-35.
- Godlewski, C.J. and Weill, L. (2011), Does collateral help mitigate adverse selection? A cross-country analysis, Journal of Financial Services Research, 40, pp. 49-78.
- Grunert, J. and Norden, L. (2012), Bargaining power and information in SME lending, Small Business Economics, 39, pp. 401-417.
- Hainz, C. (2003), Bank Competition and credit markets in transition economics, Journal of Comparative Economics, 31, 223-245.
- Hainz, C., Weill, L. and Godlewski, C.J. (2013), Bank competition and collateral: Theory and evidence, Journal of Financial Services Research, 44, pp. 131-148.
- Hanedar, E.Y., Broccardo, E. and Bazzana, F. (2014), Collateral requirements of SMEs: the evidence from less developed countries, Journal of Banking and Finance, 38, pp. 106-121.
- Hoque, M. Z., Sultana, N. and Thalil, T. (2016), Credit rationing's determinants of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Chittagong, Bangladesh, Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 6, pp. 1-23.
- Jimenez, G. and Saurina, J. (2004), Collateral, type of lender and relationship banking as determinants of credit risk, Journal of Banking and Finance, 28, pp. 2191-2212.
- Jimenez, G., Salas, V. and Saurina, J. (2006), Determinants of collateral, Journal of Financial Economics, 81, pp. 255-281.
- Jimenez, G., Salas, V. and Saurina, J. (2009), Organizational distance and use of collateral for business loans, Journal of Banking and Finance, 33, pp. 234-243.
- Kano, M., Uchida, H., Udell, G.F. and Watanabe, W. (2006), Information availability, bank organization, bank competition and bank-borrower relationships. Discussion paper 06-E-003, The Research Institute of Economy, Trade, and Industry.
- Kozubfkova, L., Belas, J., Bilan, Y., Bartos, P. (2015), Personal characteristics of entrepreneurs in the context of perception and management of business risk in the SME segment, Economics and Sociology, Vol. 8, No 1, pp. 41-54 DOI: 10.14254/2071- 789X.2015/8-1/4
- Kundin, A. and Erecgovac, R. (2011), Credit Rationing in Financial Distress: Croatia's SMEs Finance Approach, International Journal of Law and Management, 53(1), pp. 62-84.
- La Porta, R., Lopez-de-Silanes, F., Zamarripa, G. (2003), Related lending, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 118, pp. 231-268.
- Lehmann, E. and Neuberger, U. (2001), Do lending relationship matter? evidence from bank survey data in Germany, Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization, 45, pp. 339-359.
- Liberti, J.M. and Mian, A. (2009), Estimating the effect of hierarchies on information use, Review of Financial Studies, 22(10), pp. 4057-4090.
- Menkhoff, L., Neuberger D. and Suwanaporn, C. (2006), Collateral based lending in emerging markets: Evidence from Thailand, Journal of Banking and Finance, 30, pp.1-21.
- Menkhoff, L., Neuberger, D. and Rungruxsirivorn, O. (2012), Collateral and its substitutes in emerging markets lending, Journal of Banking and Finance, 36, pp. 817-834.
- Mian, A. (2003), Foreign, private domestic, and government banks: New evidence from emerging markets, University of Chicago, Mimeo.
- Neuberger, D. and Rathke-Doppner, S. (2015), The role of demographics in small business loan pricing, Small Business Economics, 44, pp. 411-424.
- Ono A. and Uesugi, I. (2009), Role of collateral and personal guarantees in relationship lending: evidence from Japan's SME loan market, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 41(5), pp. 935-960.
- Petersen, M.A. and Rajan, R.G. (2002), Does distance still matter? The information revolution in small business lending, The Journal of Finance, 57, pp. 2533-2570.
- Sapienza, P. (2004), The effects of government ownership on bank lending, Journal of Financial Economics, 72(2), pp. 357-384.
- Shen, Y., Shen, M., Xu, Z. and Bai, Y. (2009), Bank size and small- and medium -Sized enterprise lending: Evidence from China, World Development, 37(4), pp. 800-811.
- Steijvers, T., Voordeckers, W. and Vanhoof, K. (2010), Collateral, relationship lending and family firms, Small Business Economics, 34, pp. 243-259.
- Uchida, H., Udell, G.F. and Watanabe, W. (2008), Bank size and lending relationships in japan, Journal of International Economics, 22, pp. 242-267.
- Uchida, H., Udell, G.F. and Yamori, N. (2012), Loan officers and relationship lending to SMEs, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 21, pp. 97-122.
- Voordeckers, W. and Steijvers, T. (2006), Business collateral and personal commitments in SME lending, Journal of Banking and Finance, 30, pp. 3067-3086.