A Customer's Possibilities to Increase the Performance of a Service Provider by Adding Value and Deepening the Partnership in Facility Management Service
Reliable and good suppliers are an important competitive advantage for a customer and that is why the development of suppliers, improvement of performance and enhancement of customership are also in the interest of the customer. The purpose of this study is to clarify a customer's possibilities to increase the performance of a service provider and to develop the service process in FM services and thus help to improve partnership development. This research is a qualitative research. The research complements the existing generic model of supplier development towards partnership development by customer and clarifies the special features that facility management services bring to this model. The data has been gathered from interviews of customers and service providers in the facility management service sector. The result is a model of customers' possibilities to develop the performance of service providers from the viewpoint of value addition and relationship development and in that way ensure added value to the customer and the development of a long-term relationship. The results can be beneficial to customers when they develop the cooperation between the customer and the service provider toward being more strategic and more partnership focused. (original abstract)
-  Ellram L.M., Partnering Pitfalls and Success Factors, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 31, 1, 35-44, 1995.
-  Lehtonen T., Partnering relations - Justification and success factors from facilities management services perspective, Helsinki University of Technology, A Research Reports 7, Doctoral dissertation, TKK-RTA-7, 2006.
-  Grönroos C., The perceived service quality concept a mistake?, Managing Service Quality, 11, 3, 150152, 2001 06/01; 2015/03.
-  Peters T.J., Waterman R., In search of excellence, New York: Harper & Row, 3, 1, 212-217, 1982.
-  Parker C., Performance measurement, Work Study, 49, 2, 63- 66, 2000.
-  Plowman B., Activity based management Elektroninen aineisto: improving processes and profitability, Aldershot, Hants, England: Gower, 2001.
-  Petersen K.J., Handheld R.B., Ragatz G.L., Supplier integration into new product development: Coordinating product, process and supply chain design, J. Oper. Manage., 23, 3-4, 371-388, 2005.
-  Ireland R.D., Hitt M.A., Vaidyanath D., Alliance Management as a Source of Competitive Advantage, Journal of Management, 01; 28, 3, 413-446, June 2002.
-  Nooteboom B., Berger H., Noorderhaven N.G., Effects of Trust and Governance on Relational Risk, Academy of Management Journal, 01; 40, 2, 308338, April 1997.
-  Sillanpöö I., Shahzad K., Sillanpaa E., Supplier development and buyer-supplier relationship strategies a literature review, International Journal of Procurement Management, 8, 1/2, 227-250, 2015.
-  Parasuraman A., Service productivity, quality and innovation - Implications for service-design practice and research, International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, 2, 3, 277-286, 2010.
-  Johnston R., Jones P., Service productivity Towards understanding the relationship between operational and customer productivity, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 53, 3, 201-213, 2004.
-  Krause D.R., The antecedents of buying firms' efforts to improve suppliers, J. Oper. Manage., 1; 17, 2, 205-224, 1999.
-  Jylhä T., Junnila S., The state of value creation in the real-estate sector - lessons from lean thinking, Property Management, 32, 1, 28-47, 2014.
-  Arnold U., New dimensions of outsourcing: a combination of transaction cost economics and the core competencies concept, European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 6, 23-29, 2000.
-  Kalwani M.U,. Narayandas N.. Long-Term Manufacturer-Supplier Relationships: Do They Pay Off for Supplier Firms?, Journal of Marketing, 59, 1-16, 1995.
-  Meneghetti A., Chinese D., Perspectives on facilities management for industrial districts, Facilities, 10/01, 2002; 20, 10, 337-348, 03/2015.
-  Lambert D.M., Knemeyer A.M., Gardner J.T., Supply Chain Partnerships: Model validation and implementation, Journal of Business Logistics, 25, 2, 21-42, 2004.
-  Lehtonen T., Salonen A., An empirical investigation of procurement trends and partnership management in FM services-A Finnish survey, International Journal of Strategic Property Management 10, 2, 65-78, 2006.
-  Jylhaä T., Junnila S., Partnership practices and their impact on value creation - reflections from lean management, International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 18, 1, 56-65, 2014.
-  Krause D.R., Ragatz G.L., Hughley S., Supplier development from the minority supplier's perspective, Journal of Supply Chain Management, 35, 4, 33-41, 1999.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Tyler B.B., The relationships between supplier development, commitment, social capital accumulation and performance improvement, J. Oper. Manage., 25, 2, 528-545, 2007.
-  Eisenhardt K.M., Agency Theory - an Assessment and Review, Acad. Manage. Rev., 14, 1, 57-74, Jan 1989.
-  Yin R.K., Case study research: design and methods,4th ed. Thousand Oaks [Calif.], Sage Publications, 2009.
-  Krause D.R., Scannell T.V., Calantone R.J., A structural analysis of the effectiveness of buying firms' strategies to improve supplier performance, Decis Sci., 31, 1, 33-54, 2000.
-  Giunipero L.C., Motivating and monitoring JIT supplier performance, Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 26, 3, 19-24, 1990.
-  Hahn C.K., Watts C.A., Kim K.Y., The supplier development program: A conceptual model, Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 26, 2, 2-7, 1990.
-  Porter M.E., Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors, New York: The Free Press, 1980.
-  Tezuka H., Success as the source of failure? Competition and cooperation in the Japanese economy, Sloan Manage. Rev., 38, 2, 83-93, 1997.
-  Monczka R.M., Trent R.J., Callahan T.J., Supply base strategies to maximize supplier performance, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 23, 4, 42-54, 1993.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Scannell T.V., An empirical investigation of supplier development: reactive and strategic processes, J. Oper. Manage., 12; 17, 1, 39-58, 1998.
-  Ghijsen P.W.T., Semeijn J., Ernstson S., Supplier satisfaction and commitment: The role of influence strategies and supplier development, J. Purch. Supply Manage., 16, 1, 17-26. 2010.
-  Modi S.B., Mabert V.A., Supplier development: Improving supplier performance through knowledge transfer, J. Oper. Manage., 25, 1, 42-64, 2007.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Scannell T.V., An empirical investigation of supplier development: Reactive and strategic processes, J. Oper. Manage., 17, 1, 39-58. 1998.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Scannell T.V,. An empirical investigation of supplier development: Reactive and strategic processes, J. Oper. Manage., 17, 1, 39-58, 1998.
-  Galt J.D.A., Dale B.G., Supplier development: A British case study, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 27, 1, 16-22, 1991.
-  Humphreys P.K., Li W.L., Chan L.Y., The impact of supplier development on buyer-supplier performance, Omega, 32, 2, 131-143, 2004.
-  Krause D.R., Ellram L.M., Success factors in supplier development, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 27, 1, 3952, 1997.
-  Krause D.R., Supplier development: Current practices and outcomes, International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, 33, 2, 12-19, 1997.
-  Sanchez-Rodriguez C., Effect of strategic purchasing on supplier development and performance: A structural model, J. Bus. Ind. Mark., 24, 3-4, 161-172, 2009.
-  Williamson O.E., The Economics of Organization: The Transaction Cost Approach, American Journal of Sociology, 87, 3, 548-577, 1981.
-  Williamson O.E., The Economic Institutions of Capitalism: Firms, Markets, Relational Contracting, London: Macmillan, 1985.
-  Krause D.R., Scannell T.V., Calantone R.J., A structural analysis of the effectiveness of buying firms' strategies to improve supplier performance, Decis Sci., 31, 1, 33- 54, 2000.
-  Zeithaml V.A., Parasuraman A., Berry L.L., Problems and strategies in services marketing, The Journal of Marketing, 33-46, 1985.
-  Lovelock C.H., Vandermerwe S., Lewis B. [Eds.], Services Marketing a European Perspective, Prentice Hall Europe, 1999.
-  Grönroos C., Service logic revisited: who creates value? And who co-creates?, European Business Review, 20, 4, 298-314, 2000.
-  Sampson S.E., Customer- supplier duality and bidirectional supply chains in service organizations, Int. J. of Service Industry Mgmt., 10/01, 2000; 11, 4, 348-364, 03/2015.
-  Groönroos C., Ravald A., Service as business logic: implications for value creation and marketing, Journal of Service Management, 22, 1, 5-22, 2011.
-  Dyer J.H., Hatch N.W., Relation-specific capabilities and barriers to knowledge transfers: creating advantage through network relationships, Strategic Manage. J., 27, 8, 701-719, 2006.
-  Groönroos C., The relationship marketing process: communication, interaction, dialogue, value, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 19, 2, 99113, 2004.
-  Gummesson E., Productivity, quality and relationship marketing in service operations, Int. J. Contemp. Hospitality Mngt., 02/01, 1998; 10, 1, 4-15, 03/2015.
-  Edvardsson B., Olsson J., Key concepts for new service development, Service Industries Journal, 16, 2, 140-164, 1996.
-  Vargo S.L., Lusch R.F., Evolving to a new dominant logic for marketing, J. Market., 68, 1, 1-17, 2004.
-  Gröonroos C., Service management and marketing: customer management in service competition, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
-  Gupta S., Lehmann D.R., Managing customers as investments: the strategic value of customers in the long run, Wharton School Publishing Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2005.
-  Grönroos C., Ojasalo K., Service productivity as mutual learning, International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, 7, 2/3, 296-311, 2015.
-  Parasuraman A., Zeithaml V.A., Berry L.L., Servqual, J. Retail, 64, 1, 12-40, 1988.
-  Kasper H., Van Helsdingen P., de Vries Jr W., Services marketing management: An international perspective, Wiley, 1999.
-  Murray K.B., Schlacter J.L., The impact of services versus goods on consumers' assessment of perceived risk and variability, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 18, 1, 51-65, 1990.
-  Zeithaml V.A., Berry L.L., Parasuraman A., The behavioral consequences of service quality, Journal of Marketing, 60, 31-36, 1996.
-  Nikander R., Heimbuörger M., Junnonen J., Puh-to J., Kiinteistopalvelujen teknisen laadun arviointi, Helsinki University of Technology, 2007.
-  Gustafsson A., Brax S., Witell L., Grönroos C., Helle P., Adopting a service logic in manufacturing: Conceptual foundation and metrics for mutual value creation, Journal of Service Management, 21, 5, 564-590, 2010.
-  Facilities management as a special case of business service management. Facility management and service concepts - International research seminar on real estate management 29th to 30th March, 2001.
-  Selnes O.A., Invited commentary, Ann Thorac. Surg., 9, 76, 3, 770, 2003.
-  Krause D.R., Handfield R.B., Tyler B.B., it The relationships between supplier development, commitment, social capital accumulation and performance improvement, J. Oper. Manage., 25, 2, 528-545, 2007