The Impact of National Culture on the Level of Innovation
The purpose of this paper is to ascertain whether national culture has an impact on the level of innovation. The results of the analysis of data by means of statistical tools confirm that cultural factors play a big role in creating innovations. On the basis of the research, it can be assumed that the thesis formulated by Shane (1993) assuming the correlation of low power distance and strong individualism with innovation seems to be correct if we do not refer it to the Far East Asian countries. These countries seem to be very different culturally from the rest of the analyzed cultures. Low power distance and low uncertainty avoidance countries are in most cases more innovative in European countries. Impact of individualism versus collectivism is more debatable but generally in Europe more individualistic countries achieve better innovative results. (original abstract)
- Ahmed P. (1998) Culture and climate for innovation. European Journal of Innovation Management, 1 pp. 30-43.
- Au K.Y. (1999) Intra-cultural variation: Evidence and implications for international business. Journal of International Business Studies, 30 (4), pp. 799-812.
- Barnett H.G. (1953) Innovation: The Basis of Cultural Change. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Beck B.F. & Moore L. (1985), Linking the host culture to organizational variables [In:] Rost P.J.F et al., Organizational culture, Beverly Hills, Calif.: Sage, pp. 335-54.
- Brown H.D., Rodgers T.S. (2000) Doing second language research, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2000.
- Chandler G.N., Keller C., Lyon D.W., (2000) Unraveling the determinants and consequences of an innovation-supportive organizational culture. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 25, pp. 59-76.
- Dwyer S., Mesak H., & Hsu M. (2005) An exploratory examination of the influence of national culture on crossnational product diffusion. Journal of International Marketing 13, pp. 1-27.
- Efrat K. (2014) The direct and indirect impact of culture on innovation. Technovation 34, pp. 12-20.
- Eisenberg J. (1999) How individualism - collectivism moderates the effects of rewards on creativity and innovation: a comparative review of practices in Japan and the US. Creativity and Innovation Management 8, pp. 251-261.
- Fagerberg J., Srholec M. (2008) National innovation systems, capabilities and economic development. Research Policy 37, pp. 1417-1435.
- Gerhart B. (2008) How Much Does National Culture Constrain Organizational Culture?, Management and Organization Review 5:2, pp. 241-259.
- Herbig P., & Dunphy S. (1998) Culture and innovation. Cross Cultural Management, 5, pp. 13-21.
- Hofstede G. (1980) Culture's Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values, London: Sage Publications.
- Hofstede G. (2001) Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions and Organizations Across Nations. 2nd Edition, Thousand Oaks CA: Sage Publications.
- Jaeger A.M. (1986) Organization development and national culture: Where's the fit? Academy of Management Review 11, pp.178-90.
- Johns G. (2006) The essential impact of context on organizational behavior. Academy of Management Review, 31(2), pp. 386-408.
- Jones G.K., Davis H. (2000) National Culture and Innovation: Implications for Locating Global R&D Operations. Management International Review, vol. 40 /1, pp. 11-39.
- Kreiser P.M., Marino L.D., Dickson P., & Weaver K.M. (2010) Cultural influences on entrepreneurial orientation. The impact of national culture on risk-taking and proactiveness in SMEs. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 34, pp. 959-983.
- Lundvall B., (2007) National innovation systems-analytical concept and development tool. Industry and Innovation, 14, pp. 95-119.
- Martins E.C., Terblanche F. (2003) Building organisational culture that stimulates creativity and innovation. European Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 6 Iss: 1, pp.64-74.
- Morris M.H., Davis D.L. & Jeffrey W. Allen (1994) Fostering corporate entrepreneurship: Cross-cultural comparisons of the importance of individualism versus collectivism. Journal of International Business Studies, 25(1), pp. 65-90.
- Mueller V., Rosenbusch N., Bausch A., (2013) Success patterns of exploratory and exploitative innovation. Journal of Management, Vol. 39 No. 6, September, pp. 166-1636.
- Nakata Ch. and Sivakumar K. (1996) National Culture and New Product Development: An Integrative Review. Journal of Marketing, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 61-72.
- Newman K.L. and Nollen S.D. (1996) Culture and Congruence: The Fit Between Management Practices and National Culture. Journal Of International Business Studies, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 753-779.
- Porter M.E. (1990) The competitive advantage of nations. New York: Free Press.
- Porter M.E. (2000) Attitudes, values, beliefs, and the microeconomics of prosperity [In:] L.E. Harrison & S. P. Huntington (Eds.) (2000), Culture matters: How values shape human progress, New York: Basic Books, pp. 14-28.
- Schmoch U., Rammer C., & Legler H. (eds.) (2006) National systems of innovation in comparison: Structure and performance indicators for knowledge societies. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Schneider S.C. & DeMeyer A. (1991) Interpreting and responding to strategic issues: The impact of national culture. Strategic Management Journal, 12, pp. 307-20.
- Shane S. (1993) Cultural influences on national rates of innovation. Journal of Business Venturing 8, pp. 59-73.
- Shane S. (1995) Uncertainty avoidance and the preference for innovation championing roles. Journal of International Business Studies 26, pp. 47-68.
- Shane S., Venkataraman S., MacMillan I. (1995) Cultural differences in innovation championing strategies. Journal of Management 21, pp. 931-952.
- Steensma H.K., Marino L., Dickson P.H. (2000) The influence of national culture on the formation of technology alliances by entrepreneurial firms. Academy of Management Journal 43, pp. 951-973.
- Sułkowski Ł. (2013) A 3D model and typology of organisational culture, Journal of Intercultural Management Vol. 5, No. 2, June, pp. 17-30.
- Waarts E., & Everdingen Y.M. (2005) The influence of national culture on the adoption status of innovations. European Management Journal, 23, pp. 601-610.
- Wilkins A.L. & Ouchi W.G. (1983) Efficient cultures: Exploring the relationship between culture and organizational performance. Administrative Science Quarterly, 28, pp. 468-81.
- Williams L.K., McGuire S.J. (2010) Economic creativity and innovation implementation: the entrepreneurial drivers of growth? Evidence from 63 countries. Small Business Economics, 34, pp. 391-412.
- Yaveroglu I.S., & Donthu N. (2002) Cultural influences on the diffusion of new products. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 14(4), pp. 49-63.
- Yeniyurt S., & Townsend J.D. (2003) Does culture explain acceptance of new products in a country? An empirical investigation. International Marketing Review, 20, pp. 377-396.