Sustainability Leadership for Competitiveness in the Hospitality Industry in Mazatlán Mexico
In recent years sustainability has become an important issue in business in a variety of industries. Those companies that succeed to integrate a fair balance between economic interests and the concerns about environment and social equity have had to integrate a core of sustainability values that guide their behavior in the way to do business. The leaders of the organizations have to design strategies not just to add value to their products or services, but to match the new frame of ethical and moral values of the company. This new way to do business is having a deep impact in the competitiveness of organizations as a result of the savings in the supply chain and in the way they are perceived by consumers and society. The postmodern vision of the business organization has incorporated new and far-reaching modifications to the traditional view of leadership resulting in a new type called "sustainability leadership". This work uses a case study mixed method research will focus on determining and analyzing the characteristics of this new kind of leadership and its relationship with competitiveness in a very traditional and influencing hotel of Mazatlán, an important tourist destination of Mexico, which has been successful in reaching sustainability certifications for a number of years. The study will show the perception of key informants about the leadership and its degree of success regarding the business competitiveness and sustainability issues. It will also show the degree of fulfillment of sustainability according to an instrument designed for this purpose. (original abstract)
- Berzengi R. and Lindbom A., Competitive Advantage of Environmental Sustainability. BA Bachelor Dissertation. Universitetsadjunkt at the University of Halmstad, Sweden. Available: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:238560/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Bryman A. (2006) Integrating quantitative and qualitative research: How is it done? Qualitative Research, 6 (1) 97-112.
- CREST: Center for Responsible Travel (2015) "The Case for Responsible Travel: Trends & Statistics 2015". Available at: http://www.responsibletravel.org/resources/documents/2015 Trends & Statistics_Final.pdf
- Creswell J.W. (2013) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. SAGE Publications, Inc. (2013).
- Eccles R.G., Ioannou I., & Serafeim G. (2012) The impact of a Corporate Culture of Sustainability on Corporate Behavior and Performance, working paper 17950, National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series, Cambridge, Massachusetts, March.
- Esty D.C., Winston A.S., (2006) Green to Gold. Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
- Ferdig M.A. (2009) Sustainability Leadership Relational Model and Practices. Sustainability Leadership Institute. Available at: http://www.sustainabilityleadershipinstitute.org/downloads/SLI_model_download.pdf
- Feurer R., Chaharbaghi K. (1994) Defining Competitiveness: A Holistic Approach. Management Decision, Vol. 32 Iss: 2, pp. 49-58.
- Freeman R.E., & Gilbert D.R. Jr. (1992) Business, ethics and society: A critical agenda. Business & Society, 31, 9.
- Ganescu M.C. (2012) Corporate social responsibility, a strategy to create and consolidate sustainable businesses. Theoretical and Applied Economics, Volume XIX (2012), No. 11(576), pp. 91-106.
- Goodall B., & Stabler M.J. (1997). Principles influencing the determination of environmental standards for sustainable tourism. Tourism and Sustainability, Principles to Practice. UK: CAB International.
- Hatch M.J., Cunliffe A.L. (2013) Organization Theory, modern, symbolic and postmodern perspectives. Oxford, 2013, third edition.
- Haanes K., Michael D., Jurgens J. & Subramanian S. (2013). Making Sustainability Profitable. Harvard Business Review. March.
- Inglehart R. (1990). Culture shift in advanced industrial society. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Jacobs M. (1991). The Green Economy: Environment, Sustainable Development and the Politics of the Future. London: Pluto Press.
- Kouzes J.M., & Posner B.Z. (2007). The leadership challenge (4th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Lozano R. (2013) "A Holistic Perspective on Corporate Sustainability Drivers". Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management Corp. Soc. Responsib. Environ. Mgmt. 22, 32-44 2015.
- Mason R.B. (2007) The external environment's effect on management and strategy: A complexity theory approach. Management Decision, 1, pp.10-28
- Milliman J. (2013) Leading-Edge Green Human Resource Practices: Vital Components to Advancing Environmental Sustainability. Environmental Quality Management. Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com).
- MIT Sloan Management Review and The Boston Consulting Group 2011 "Sustainability: The 'Embracers' Seize Advantage". MIT Sloan Management Review and The Boston Consulting Group. Available at: https://www.bcg.com/documents/file71538.pdf
- Morelli J. (2011) Environmental Sustainability: A Definition for Environmental Professionals. Journal of Environmental Sustainability, Vol. 1: Iss. 1, Article 2.
- Morrison A.J. (2000) Developing a global leadership model. Human Resource Management 39(2&3): 117-131.
- Nelson J. (2011) Corporate Sustainability Leadership At The Edge. University of Cambridge, Programme for Sustainable Leadership. Cambridge UK. Available at: http://www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/publications/publication-pdfs/cpsl-the-edgejane-nelson.pdf
- Niţă Cornel G. & Ştefea P. (2014) Cost control for business sustainability. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 124, 307-311 ScienceDirect, Elsevier.
- UN (1987) Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our common future. Ginebra: UN.
- Ottenbacher M.C., Shaw V., & Lockwood A. (2006) An Investigation of the Factors Affecting Innovation Performance in Chain and Independent Hotels. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism, 6(3-4), 113-128.
- Porter M.E., Kramer M.R. (2006) Strategy and Society The Link Between Competitive Advantage and Corporate Social Responsibility. Harvard Business Review, December, Pags 72-87. Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation.
- Shriberg M. (2012) Sustainability leadership as 21st century leadership [In:] Gallagher D.R. (Ed.) Environmental leadership: A reference handbook, Vol. 2. Sage Publications, Los Angeles, pp. 469-480.
- Slee W., Farr H., & Snowden P. (1997) Sustainable tourism development and the local economy [In] M.J. Stabler (Ed.), Tourism and sustainability. Principles to practice. Wallingford: CABI.
- Visser W. & Courtice P. (2011). Sustainable Leadership, Linking Theory and Practice. SSRN Working Paper Series. Available: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1947221
- Willard B. (2002) The Sustainability Advantage: Seven Business Case Benefits of a Triple Bottom Line. New Society Publishers (May).