Ownership and Capital Structure of Pakistani Non-Financial Firms
Existing literature has not yet defined a clear-cut relationship between ownership structure and capital structure. This study aims to contribute to this controversial argument by examining the impact of internal (managerial) ownership and external ownership on financing preferences using the case of non-financial firms listed on Karachi stock exchange during the period of 2008-2012. Our results suggest that the external ownership has a significant effect on capital structure in accordance with the presence of blockholders. In contrast, the internal ownership has a complicated effect; it shows significant positive and negative relationship to leverage at lower and certain higher proportion of managerial shareholding respectively. Besides, the combined analyses suggest that the presence of blockholders negates the impact of managerial ownership on capital structure. This implies that the presence of large and dominant shareholders in Pakistani firms may have caused a bias for debt financing to protect their voting power and returns. (original abstract)
- Agrawal, A., Knoeber, C.R. (1996). Firm Performance and Mechanisms to Control Agency Problems between Managers and Shareholders. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 31(03), 377-397.
- Agrawal, A., Nagarajan, N.J. (1990). Corporate Capital Structure, Agency Costs, and Ownership Control: the Case of All-equity Firms. The Journal of Finance, 45(4), 1325-1331.
- Alchian, A.A., Demsetz, H. (1972). Production, Information Costs, and Economic Organization. The American Economic Review, 777-795.
- Akerlof, G.A. (1970). The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 488-500.
- Bathala, C.T., Moon, K.P., Rao, R.P. (1994). Managerial Ownership, Debt Policy, and the Impact of Institutional Holdings: An Agency Perspective. Financial Management, 38-50.
- Berle, A.A., Gardiner, C. (1968). Means. 1932. The Modern Corporation and Private Property, 204-5.
- Berger, P.G., Ofek, E., Yermack, D.L. (1997). Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions. Journal of Finance, 1411-1438.
- Brailsford, T.J., Oliver, B.R., Pua, S.L.H. (2002). On the Relation between Ownership Structure and Capital Structure. Accounting & Finance, 42(1), 1-26.
- DeAngelo, H., Masulis, R.W. (1980). Optimal Capital Structure under Corporate and Personal Taxation. Journal of Financial Economics, 8(1), 3- 29.
- Firth, M. (1995). The Impact of Institutional Stockholders and Managerial Interests on the Capital Structure of Firms. Managerial and Decision Economics, 16(2), 167-175.
- Fosberg, R.H. (2004). Agency Problems and Debt Financing: Leadership Structure Effects. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 4 (1), 31-38.
- Friend, I., Lang, L.H. (1988). An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure. The Journal of Finance, 43(2), 271-281.
- Greenwald, B.C., Stiglitz, J.E. (1990). Asymmetric Information and the New Theory of the Firm: Financial Constraints and Risk Behavior (No. w3359). National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Grossman, S.J., Hart, O.D. (1982). Corporate Financial Structure and Managerial Incentives. In The Economics of Information and Uncertainty (pp. 107-140). University of Chicago Press.
- Hart, O. (1995). Firms, Contracts and Financial Structure. Oxford University Press. Herman, E.S. (1981). Corporate Control, Corporate Power (Vol. 98, p. 1). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Jensen, M.C., Meckling, W.H. (1976). Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3(4), 305-360.
- Jensen, M.C. (1986). Agency Cost of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance and Takeovers. Corporate Finance, and Takeovers. American Economic Review, 76(2).
- Jensen, G.R., Solberg, D.P., Zorn, T.S. (1992). Simultaneous Determination of Insider Ownership, Debt and Dividend Policies. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 27(02), 247-263.
- Kim, W.S., Sorensen, E.H. (1986). Evidence on the Impact of the Agency Costs of Debt on Corporate Debt Policy. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 21(02), 131-144.
- Modigliani, F., Miller, M.H. (1958). The Cost of Capital, Corporation Finance and the Theory of Investment. The American Economic Review, 261-297.
- Myers, S.C. (2001). Capital Structure. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 81- 102.
- Ross, S.A. (1977). The Determination of Financial Structure: the Incentive-signaling Approach. The Bell Journal of Economics, 23-40.
- Palmer, D.A., Jennings, P.D., Zhou, X. (1993). Late Adoption of the Multidivisional form by Large US Corporations: Institutional, Political and Economic Accounts. Administrative Science Quarterly, 100-131.
- Porta, R.L., Lopez-de-Silane, F., Shleifer, A., Vishny, R. (1998). Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World (No. w6594). National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ruan, W., Tian, G., Ma, S. (2011). Managerial Ownership, Capital Structure and Firm Value: Evidence from China's Civilian-run Firms. Australasian Accounting, Business and Finance Journal, 5(3), 73-92.
- Salancik, G.R., Pfeffer, J. (1980). Effects of Ownership and Performance on Executive Tenure in US Corporations. Academy of Management Journal, 23(4), 653-664.
- Short, H., Keasey, K., Duxbury, D. (2002). Capital Structure, Management Ownership and Large External Shareholders: A UK Analysis. International Journal of the Economics of Business, 9(3), 375-399.
- Shleifer, A., Vishny, R.W. (1986). Large Shareholders and Corporate Control. The Journal of Political Economy, 461-488.
- Smith, A. (1776). An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. London: George Routledge and Sons.
- Stiglitz, J.E. (1985). Credit Markets and the Control of Capital. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 133-152.
- Wahba, H. (2014). Capital Structure, Managerial Ownership and Firm Performance: Evidence from Egypt. Journal of Management & Governance, 18(4), 1041-1061.
- White, H. (1980). A Heteroskedasticity-consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity. Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society, 817-838.