Gender Inequality and the Quality of Work Life in Ukraine
The aim of the article is to assess gender inequality in the labor market of Ukraine. The first part of the article identifies and analyzes the factors and processes that shape gender inequality in Ukraine. The impact of gender inequality on the quality of work life is researched. The problems in the area of female employment are considered. Gender disproportions, gender occupational segregation, "feminization of poverty" are highlighted as the negative factors affecting the quality of work life. The principles of overcoming gender inequalities in the labor market of Ukraine are then defined as well as the priorities of the gender policy of the state. In conclusion, the concept of the strategy of formation of gender parity and ensuring the empowerment of women in the labor area is described. Positive effects of the proposed measures on the social climate and economic development of the country are substantiated.(original abstract)
- 1. Aivazova S. (2014), Transformation of the gender order in the CIS countries: institutional factors and the effects of mass politics, «Woman in Russian society», nr. 4.
- 2. Analytical study of women's participation in the labor force of Ukraine (2012), The United Nations Population Fund, Kiev, http://www.idss.org.ua/monografii/ 2013_ua_womens%20participation.pdf (05.01.2016).
- 3. Economic activity of population of Ukraine, Statistical Yearbook (2014), State Statistics Service of Ukraine, Kiev.
- 4. Koval L., Paseka A. (2015), Evaluation of the segregation in the labor market by gender-dominant type, «Financial Space», nr. 1, http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/ Fin_pr_2015_1_23 (05.01.2016).
- 5. Labor Ukraine, Statistical Yearbook (2013), State Statistics Service of Ukraine, Kiev.
- 6. Martsenyuk T. (2013), Gender segregation of the labor market: what job are men and women looking for (in the context of resume and job openings database hh.ua), «Magazine of social critics Spilne», nr. 6, http://ekmair.ukma.edu.ua/ bitstream/ handle/123456789/3790/Martseniuk_Henderna_sehrehatsiia_rynku_pratsi.p df?sequence=1 (5.01.2016).
- 7. Sycheva L., Honiukova V. (2014), Gender equality as a factor of sustainable social development in Ukraine, "Government Development", nr. 1.
- 8. The Human Development Report (2015), United Nations Development Programme, New York.
- 9. The Millennium Development Goals (2014), United Nations, Ukraine, Kiev.
- 10. Ukraine National Review of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995) and the final documents of the XXIII special session of the UN General Assembly (2000) in the context of the twentieth anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and the adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action in 2015 (2014), https://www.unece.org/ fileadmin/ DAM/Gender/publication/NV111.07_att1_att2_att3_merged.pdf (5.01.2016).
- 11. Voronina O. (2008), Gender equality in the modern world. The role of national mechanisms, Ed Voronina O., Moscow, Max-Press.
- 12. Women and men in Ukraine, Statistical Yearbook (2014), State Statistics Service of Ukraine, Kiev.
- 13. The law of Ukraine The law of Ukraine from November 13, 2015 On Amendments to the Labor Code of Ukraine concerning the harmonization of legislation in the sphere of combating discrimination law with the European Union, SCU3442.
- 14. The law of Ukraine from September 8, 2005 concerning equal rights and opportunities for women and men, SCU, nr 2866-IV.
- 15. The law of Ukraine from June 28, 1996 the Constitution of Ukraine, SCU, nr 254k/96.
- 16. Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine from September 26, 2013 №717 On approval of the State program of provision equal rights and opportunities for women and men for the period until 2016, available at: http://www.kmu.gov.ua/control/uk/cardnpd?docid=246752025 (5.01.2016).