Evaluating Gaps in Consumer Behavior Research on Organic Foods : a Critical Literature Review under Bangladesh Context
The global demand for organic foods has inspired the academicians and practicing professionals to explore consumer purchase behavior in this sector. The multiple promises that organic foods hold for the future - like sustainable food production, food safety, food security, nutrition and reduction of green-house gases - all might have influenced the recent rise of behavioral research in the organic food sector. Interestingly, Bangladesh has been a producer of organic foods since the early '80s; however, only a handful of studies could be traced that actually studied consumer behavior in this sector. The current paper explored the important roles that organic foods might play in Bangladesh, synthesized findings of past studies under Bangladesh context, and justified probable areas that might be investigated in future. Therefore, plausible gaps were explored in the existing literature pertaining to Bangladesh context and a tentative research agenda for future researchers was proposed. (original abstract)
- Ali, A. (2013) "Food safety and public health issues in Bangladesh: a regulatory", European Food and Feed Law Review, 8(1), pp. 31-40.
- Badgley, C., Moghtader, J., Quintero, E., Zakem, E., Chappell, M.J., Avilés-Vázquez, K., ... Perfecto, I. (2007) "Organic agriculture and the global food supply", Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, 22(02), p. 86. http://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170507001640.
- Baroni, L., Cenci, L., Tettamanti, M. & Berati, M. (2007) "Evaluating the environmental impact of various dietary patterns combined with different food production systems", European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 61(2), pp. 279-86. http://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602522.
- BCC Research (2014) Organic Foods and Beverages: Global Markets, Wellesley: BCC Research LLC.
- Benbrook, C., Zhao, X. & Yáñez, J. (2008) "New evidence confirms the nutritional superiority of plant-based organic foods", State of Science Review: Nutritional Superiority of Organic Foods, (March), 49.
- Davis, J.J. (1994) "Consumer Response to Corporate Environmental Advertising", Journal of Consumer Marketing, 11(2), pp. 25-37. http://doi.org/10.1108/07363769410058902.
- Griskevicius, V., Tybur, J.M. & Van den Bergh, B. (2010) "Going green to be seen: status, reputation, and conspicuous conservation", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98(3), pp. 392-404. http://doi.org/10.1037/a0017346.
- Grunert, S.C. & Grunert, K.G. (1993) "What's green about green consumers besides their environmental concern", in: Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference of the European Marketing Academy (Vol. 2, pp. 1611-1613), EMAC: Brussels.
- Halder, A. (2007) "Premature greying of hairs, premature ageing and predisposition to cancer in Jajjal, Punjab: A preliminary observation", Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, (6), pp. 577-580.
- Hayes, T. (2004) "Wreaking Havoc With Life", Beyondpesticides.org.
- Holzman, D.C. (2012) "Organic food conclusions don't tell the whole story", Environmental Health Perspectives, 120(12), A458. http://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.120-a458.
- Honkanen, P., Verplanken, B. & Olsen, S. O. (2006) "Ethical values and motives driving organic food choice", Journal of Consumer ..., 5, pp. 420-430. http://doi.org/10.1002/cb.
- Huda, S., Muzaffar, A. & Ahmed, J. (2009) "An enquiry into the perception on food quality among urban people: A case of Bangladesh", African Journal of Business Management, 3(5), pp. 227-232. http://doi.org/10.5897/AJBM09.004.
- Iqbal, M. (2015) "Consumer Behaviour of Organic Food : A Developing Country Perspective", International Journal of Marketing and Business Communication, 4(4), pp. 58-67.
- Kemp, E. & Bui, M. (2011) "Healthy brands: establishing brand credibility, commitment and connection among consumers", Journal of Consumer Marketing, 28(6), pp. 429-437. http://doi.org/10.1108/07363761111165949.
- Kim, M. (2013) Growing Organic around the World: Domestic Regulations, International Relations and Developing Countries' Involvement in Organic Production.
- Loo, E. J. Van, Caputo, V. & Nayga, R. M. J. (2015) "Sustainability labels on coffee: Consumer preferences, willingness-to-pay and visual attention to attributes", Ecological Economics, 118 (October), pp. 215-225. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2015.07.011.
- Maciel, L.F., Oliveira, C.D.S., Bispo, E.D.S. & Miranda, M.D.P.S. (2011) "Antioxidant activity, total phenolic compounds and flavonoids of mangoes coming from biodynamic, organic and conventional cultivations in three maturation stages", British Food Journal, 113(9), pp. 1103-1113. http://doi.org/10.1108/00070701111180319.
- Mamoon, M. & Haque, S. (2013) "Promoting the Usage of Organic Produce Through Decentralization", Iosrjournals.org, 15(4), pp. 55-59.
- Morgan, K. & Murdoch, J. (2000) "Organic vs. conventional agriculture: knowledge, power and innovation in the food chain", Geoforum, 31(2), pp. 159-173.
- Mukul, A., Afrin, S. & Hassan, M. (2013) "Factors Affecting Consumers' Perceptions about Organic Food and Their Prevalence in Bangladeshi Organic Preference", Journal of Business, 1(5), pp. 112-118. http://doi.org/10.12691/jbms-1-5-5.
- Osteen, C., Gottlieb, J. & Vasavada, U. (2012) Agricultural resources and environmental Indicators, 2012 edition, US Department of Agriculture.
- Palupi, E., Jayanegara, A., Ploeger, A. & Kahl, J. (2012) "Comparison of nutritional quality between conventional and organic dairy products: a meta-analysis", Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 92(14), pp. 2774-81. http://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.5639.
- Parveen, S. (2008, March 2) "Organic food getting popular as toxic chemicals pose danger", The Daily Star, Bangladesh, pp. 2-4, Dhaka.
- Peattie, K. & Crane, A. (2005) "Green marketing: legend, myth, farce or prophesy?", Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 8(4), pp. 357-370.
- Pimentel, D., Hepperly, P., Hanson, J., Douds, D. & Seidel, R. (2005) "Environmental, Energetic, and Economic Comparisons of Organic and Conventional Farming Systems", BioScience, 55(7), 573-582. http://doi.org/10.1641/0006-3568(2005)055[0573:EEAECO]2.0.CO;2.
- Polonsky, M.J. (1994) "An Introduction To Green Marketing", Electronic Green Journal, 1(2).
- Rahman, K. & Haque, M. (2011) "Exploring Price Sensitivity of a Green Brand: A Consumers' Perspective", World Review of Business Research, 1(2), pp. 84-97.
- Rahman, M.A., Omar, D. & Ullah, M.H. (2007) "Developmental perspective of organic agriculture and IPM: a review of Bangladesh", in: 1st International Technology, Education and Environment Conference (pp. 119-122).
- Rosen, J.D. (2010) "A Review of the Nutrition Claims Made by Proponents of Organic Food", Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 9 (Lairon 2009), pp. 270-277. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00108.x.
- Sarker, M. & Itohara, Y. (2008) "Organic farming and poverty elimination: A suggested model for Bangladesh", Journal of Organic Systems, 3(1), pp. 68-79.
- Satimanon, T. (2013) Sustainable Attribute Valuation and Manufacturer's Sustainable Product Launch Decision Making: An Egg Industry Case, Michigan State University.
- Trivedi, P. (2015) "A conceptual model for driving green purchase among indian consumers", Journal of Marketing and Consumer Behaviour in Emerging Markets, 2(2), pp. 49-59. http://doi.org/10.7172/2449-6634.jmcbem.2015.2.4.
- USDA (1995) What is Organic Production. Retrieved August 12, 2015 from http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/ofp/ofp.shtml.