Exploring the Multi-Sensory Based Memorable Tourism Experiences : a Study of Adam&Eve Hotel in Turkey
Tourism business executives should discover critical ways to create a memorable experience by appealing to consumers' multi-sensory organs emotionally and rationally. From this point of view determining the most successful multi-sensory brand experience concept, which the customers find most satisfying, is becoming a critical marketing strategy. So this study aims to find the sensory based memorable tourism experiences, attributes/specific elements of the hotel business. With this aim, Adam&Eve Hotel, a themed hotel in Antalya, was chosen as the study sample. In this exploratory research, comments which were made electronically on Tripadvisor. com, known as the world's most visited online social travel information channel about the holiday experience, constituted the search data and the data was subjected to content analysis via Nvivo Software and the critical multi-sensory organs that create memorable tourism experiences were defined. The analysis of the results has been performed on the basis of five sensory stimuli: 1) tactile, 2) gustatory, 3) olfactory, 4) visual, and 5) auditory. The findings also revealed that nearly 70 percent of the recalled emotions and feelings from sensations related to visual stimuli which were detailed with the components like decor, interior/exterior design, etc. (original abstract)
- Agapito, D., Valle, P. and Mendes, J. (2012) 'Sensory Marketing and Tourist Experiences', Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers, 10, pp. 7-19.
- Agapito, D., Mendes, J. and Valle, P. (2013) 'Exploring the Conceptualization of the Sensory Dimension of Tourist Experiences', Journal of Destination Marketing and Management, 2, pp. 62-73.
- Ali, F., Hussain, K. and Ragavan, N.A. (2014) 'Memorable Customer Experience: Examining the Effects of Customers Experience on Memories and Loyalty in Malaysian Resort Hotels', Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 144, pp. 273-279.
- Ballantyne, R., Packer, J. and Falk, J. (2011) ''Visitors' Learning for Environmental Sustainability: Testing Short and Long Term Impacts of Wildlife Tourism Experiences Using Structural Equation Modeling', Tourism Management, 32(6), pp. 1243-1252.
- Bharwani, S. and Jauhari, V. (2013) 'An Exploratory Study of Competencies Required to Co-create Memorable Customer Experiences in the Hospitality Industry', International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 25(6), pp. 823-843.
- Bowie, D. and Buttle, F. (2009) Hospitality Marketing an Introduction. USA: Elsevier Press.
- Cetin, G. and Bilgihan, A. (2014) 'Components of Cultural Tourists' Experiences in Destinations', Current Issues in Tourism, (ahead-of-print), pp. 1-18.
- Chhetri, P., Arrowsmith, C., and Jackson, M. (2004) 'Determining Hiking Experiences in Nature - Based Tourist Destinations', Tourism Management, 25, pp. 31-43.
- Ditoiu, M. and Caruntu, A. (2014) 'Sensory Experiences Regarding Five-dimensional Brand Destination', Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 109, pp. 301-306.
- Dițoiu, M.C., Stăncioiu, A.F. and Teodorescu, N. (2012) 'Sensory Dimensions of the Destination Bucharest from the Point of View of Young People', Revista Economică - Marketing, Commerce and Tourism and a New Paradigm of Change, vol. supplement, issue: 3, pp. 129-134.
- Guzel, F.Ö. (2013) 'Duyu Tabanlı Pozitif Yüklü Hislerin Satın Alma Sonrası Eğilimlere Etkisi: Alman Turistler Üzerine Bir Araştırma', Anatolia: Turizm Araştırmaları Dergisi, 24, pp. 226-236.
- Güzel, F.Ö. (2014) 'The Dimensions of Tour Experience, Emotional Arousal, and Post-experience Behaviors: A Research on Pamukkale in Turkey', Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150; pp. 521-530.
- Heide, M. and Grønhaug, K. (2006) 'Atmosphere: Conceptual Issues and Implications For Hospitality Management', Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 6(4), pp. 271-286.
- Hirsch, A.R. (1995) 'Effect of Ambient Odors on Slot-Machine Usage in a Las Vegas Casino', Psychology and Marketing, 12, pp. 585-594.
- Holbrook, M.B. and Hirschman, E.C. (1982) 'The Experiential Aspects of Consumption: Consumer Fantasies, Feelings and Fun', Journal of Consumer Research, 9, pp. 132-140.
- Hosany, S. and Witham, M. (2010) 'Dimensions of Cruisers' Experiences, Satisfaction and Intention to Recommend', Journal of Travel Research, 49(3), pp. 351-364.
- Hultén B. (2011) 'Sensory marketing: The Multi-sensory Brand-Experience Concept', European Business Review, 23(3), pp. 256-273.
- Hulten, B., Broweus, N. and Dijk, M.V. (2009) Sensory Marketing. USA: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kastenholz, E., Carneiro, M.J., Marques, C.P. and Lima, J. (2012) 'Understanding and Managing the Rural Tourism Experience - The Case of a Historical Village in Portugal', Tourism Management Perspectives, 4, pp. 207-214.
- Kim, J. (2010) 'Determining the Factors Affecting the Memorable Nature of Travel Experiences', Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 27(8), pp. 780-796.
- Kim, J.H. (2014) 'The antecedents of memorable tourism experiences: The development of a scale to measure the destination attributes associated with memorable experiences', Tourism Management, 44, pp. 34-45.
- Kim, J.H., Ritchie, J., and Tung, V.W.S. (2010) 'The Effect of Memorable Experience on Behavioral Intentions in Tourism: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach', Tourism Analysis, 15(6), pp. 637-648.
- Kotler, P. and Armstrong, G. (2014) Principles of Marketing. England: Pearson Education Limited.
- Krishna, A. and Schwarz, N. (2014) 'Sensory marketing, embodiment, and grounded cognition: A review and introduction', Journal of Consumer Psychology, 24(2); pp. 159-168.
- Krishna, A., Cian, L. and Sokolova, T. (2016) 'The Power of Sensory Marketing in Advertising', Current Opinion on Psychology, 10, pp. 142-147.
- Lasalle, D., and Britton, T.A., (2003) 'Priceless: Turning Ordinary Products into Extraordinary Experiences', USA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Lindstrom, M. (2007) Duyular ve Marka. İstanbul: Optimist Yayınları.
- Loureiro, S.M.C. (2014) 'The Role of the Rural Tourism Experience Economy in Place Attachment and Behavioral Intentions', International Journal of Hospitality Management, 40, pp. 1-9.
- Milliman, R. (1986) 'The Influence of Background Music on The Behavior of Restaurant Patrons', The Journal of Consumer Research, 13(2), pp. 286-289.
- North, A.C. and Hargreaves, D.J. (1996) 'The Effects of Music on Responses to a Dining Area', Journal of Environmental Psychology, 16, pp. 55-64.
- Oh, H., Fiore, A. and Jeoung, M. (2007) Measuring Experience Economy Concepts: Tourism Applications', Journal of Travel Research, 46(2), pp. 119-132.
- Pan, S. And Ryan, C. (2009) 'Tourism Sense-making: The Role of the Senses and Travel Journalism', Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 26(7), pp. 625-639.
- Pine, B. and Gilmore, J.H. (1999) The Experience Economy. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Prayag, G., Hosany, S. and Odeh, K. (2013) 'The Role of Tourists' Emotional Experiences and Satisfaction in Understanding Behavioral Intentions', Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 2, pp. 118-127.
- Raz, C., Piper, D., Haller, R., Nicod, H., Dusart, N. and Giboreau, A. (2008) 'From Sensory Marketing to Sensory Design: How to Drive Formulation Using Consumers' Input?', Food Quality and Preference, 19, pp. 719-726.
- Schmitt, B. (1999) Experiential Marketing. New York: The Free Press.
- Shaw, C. (2007) The DNA OF Customer Experience: How Emotions Drive Value. USA: Palgrave Macmillian
- Slatten, T., Mehmetoğlu, M., Svensson, G. and Svaeri, S. (2009) 'Atmospheric Experiences That Emotionally Touch Customers a Case Study From a Winter Park', Managing Service Quality, 19(6), pp. 721-746.
- Son, A. and Pearce, P. (2005) 'Multi-faceted Image Assessment: International Students' Views of Australia as a Tourist Destination', Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 18(4), pp. 21-35.
- Tung, V.W.S. and Ritchie, J.R. (2011) 'Exploring the Essence of Memorable Tourism Experiences', Annals of Tourism Research, 38(4), pp. 1367-1386.
- Turley, L. and Chebat, J.C. (2002) 'Linking Retail Strategy, Atmospheric Design and Shopping Behaviour', Journal of Marketing Management, 18 (1-2), pp. 124-44.
- Turley, L. W. and Milliman, R.E. (2000) 'Atmospheric effects on shopping behavior: A review of the experimental evidence', Journal Of Business Research, 49(2), pp. 193-211.
- Valenti, C. and Riviere, J. (2008) Marketing Dissertation: The Concept of Sensory Marketing. Halmstad.
- Volo, S., (2010) 'Conceptualizing Experience: A Tourist Based Approach, Marketing Of Tourism Experince', Scott, N., Laws, E. and Boksberger, P. (Eds), in: Marketing of Tourism Experiences. USA: Routledge.
- Yalch, R. and Spangenberg, E. (1990) 'Effects of Store Music on Shopping Behavior', The Journal of Consumer Marketing, 7, pp. 55-63.
- Yuksel, A., and Yuksel, F. (2007) 'Shopping risk perceptions: Effects on tourists' emotions, satisfaction and expressed loyalty intentions', Tourism Management, 28(3), pp. 703-713.
- https://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-c6-About_Us.html, 24.05.2016.