Effects of Motivating to Sustain Commitment of the Sales Professionals
Motivation is an important tool which can have a significant impact to improve the performance of employees in any organization and in the current competitive world, employees' commitment is crucial in achieving the organizational goals. The current research is aimed at examining the role played by motivation in sustaining the commitment of sales professionals. Primary data has been collected among 100 sales professionals using the close-ended questionnaire. For the analysis purpose both descriptive and inferential analysis has been conducted. The findings from the analysis show that most factors included in the model to measure the motivation show a significant and positive impact. Similarly the coefficient for organizational support, psychological support and financial support shows a positive and significant impact. In examining the impact of increased motivation on employees' commitment, the results were also statistically significant and positive. On the basis of the findings it can be concluded that the motivation has a significant and positive impact on employees' commitment so organizations should focus on motivating their employees; however, the method used for motivation can differ from one organization to another. (original abstract)
- Armstrong, M. (2008) How To Be an Even Better Manager, London. Available at: http://ebooks.rahnuma.org/management/Safety and management ebooks/Management/Armstrong's Handbook of Management and Leadership.pdf.
- Burton, K. (2012) A Study of Motivation : How to Get Your Employees Moving. Indiana University. Available at: https://spea.indiana.edu/doc/undergraduate/ugrd_thesis2012_mgmt_burton.pdf.
- Dagne, T., Beyene, W. & Berhanu, N. (2015) "Motivation and Factors Affecting It among Health Professionals in the Public Hospitals, Central Ethiopia, Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences, 25(3), pp. 231-242. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4650878/.
- Danish, R.Q. & Munir, Y. (2012) "The Impact of Motivation on Employee's Commitment: Evidence from Public and Private Sector of Pakistan", World Review of Business Research, 2(1), pp. 109-118.
- Deeter-Schmelz, D.R. & Sojka, J.Z. (2003) "Developing Effective Salespeople: Exploring The Link Between Emotional Intelligence And Sales Performance", The International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 11(3), pp. 211-220. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/eb028972.
- Dobre, O.I. (2013) "Employee motivation and organizational performance", Review of Applied Socio- Economic Research, 5(1), p. 53.
- Ellis, N. (2000) "Developing graduate sales professionals through co-operative education and work placements: a relationship marketing approach", Journal of European Industrial Training, 24(1), pp. 34-42. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090590010308246.
- Eshun, C. & Duah, F.K. (2011) Rewarda as a Motivation Tool for Employee Performance.
- Griffin, R.W. (2006) Fundamentals of Management, 7th Edition, Texas A&M University.
- Hackman, J.R. & Oldham, G.R. (1976) "Motivation through the design of work: test of a theory", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 16(2), pp. 250-279. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0030507376900167.
- Havaldar, K.K. & Cavale, V. (2007) Sales & Distribution Management, Tata McGraw Hill, p.8. Available at: http://www1.ximb.ac.in/users/off/dean/dodox4co.nsf/27e84f44a7052f4ce52569fe00080a03/5510966d19cb86b765257b4100348d9e/$file/sdm.pdf.
- Kubo, I. & Saka, A. (2002) "An inquiry into the motivations of knowledge workers in the Japanese financial industry", Journal of Knowledge Management, 6(3), pp. 262-271. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/13673270210434368.
- Lai, C., Teachers, P. & Kong, H. (2012) "Motivation and Commitment : at a Training Institute in Hong Kong", Teacher Education Quarterly, (6), pp.45-61.
- Lin, W. (2008) "Factors enhancing the intentions of employees toward customer-oriented behaviors", International Journal of Commerce and Management, 18(3), pp. 267-288. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10569210810907173.
- Little, B. (2012) "Identifying key trends in sales - from a training perspective", Industrial and Commercial Training, 44(2), pp. 103-108. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00197851211202948.
- Mak, B.L. & Sockel, H. (2001) "A confirmatory factor analysis of IS employee motivation and retention", Information & Management, 38(5), pp. 265-276. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378720600000550.
- Marchington, M. & Wilkinson, A. (2008) Human resource management at work: people manage ment and development. Springer Company, Inc., London.
- Markos, S. & Sridevi, S. (2010) "Employee Engagement : The Key to Improving Performance", International Journal of Business and Management, 5(12), pp. 89-96.
- Meyer, J.P. et al. (2004) «Employee Commitment and Motivation : A Conceptual Analysis and Integrative Model», Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(6), pp. 991-1007.
- Muogbo, B.U. (2013) "The Impact of Employee Motivation On Organisational Performance (A Study Of Some Selected Firms In Anambra State Nigeria)", The International Journal Of Engineering And Science, pp. 2319-1813.
- Murphy, W.H. (2004) "In pursuit of short-term goals: anticipating the unintended consequences of using special incentives to motivate the sales force", Journal of Business Research, 57(11), pp. 1265-1275. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0148296302004472.
- Neagu, C. (2014) "Non-Financial Motivation of Staff - Challenges and Solutions", Revista Română de Statistică - Supliment, (4), pp. 74-77.
- Nguyen, T.N., Mai, K.N. & Nguyen, P. V. (2014) "Factors Affecting Employees' Organizational Commitment - A Study of Banking Staff in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam", Journal of Advanced Management Science, 2(1), pp. 7-11. Available at: http://www.joams.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=36&id=106.
- Nikolaou, I. & Tsaousis, I. (2002) "Emotional Intelligence In The Workplace: Exploring Its Effects On Occupational Stress And Organizational Commitment", The International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 10(4), pp. 327-342. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/eb028956.
- Obikeze, C.O. (2012), Effects of Motivation on Sales Force Performance in Guinness Nigeria Plc and MTN in South-East, Nigeria. University of Nigeria. Available at: http://www.unn.edu.ng/publications/files/images/OBIKEZE, CHINEDUM OKEY.pdf.
- Parker, G.M. (2003) "Cross-Functional Teams", The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series, pp. 1-34.
- Restubog, S.L.D., Bordia, P. & Tang, R.L. (2006) "Effects of psychological contract breach on performance of IT employees: The mediating role of affective commitment", Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79(2), pp. 299-306. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/096317905X53183.
- Sange, R. & Srivastava, R.K. (2012) "Employee Engagement and Mentoring: An Empirical Study of Sales Professionals", Synergy, 10(1), pp. 37-50.
- Sharma, N. & Patterson, P.G. (2000) "Switching costs, alternative attractiveness and experience as moderators of relationship commitment in professional, consumer services", International Journal of Service Industry Management, 11(5), pp. 470-490. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09564230010360182.
- Smith, A.D. & Rupp, W.T. (2003) "An examination of emerging strategy and sales performance: motivation, chaotic change and organizational structure", Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 21(3), pp. 156-167. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02634500310474.
- Sujan, H., Weitz, B.A. & Sujan, M. (1988) "Increasing Sales Productivity By Getting Salesperson To Work Smarter", Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, (August), pp. 9-19. Available at: http://bear.warrington.ufl.edu/weitz/papers/Increasing_Sales.pdf.
- Vance, R.J. (2004) Employee Engagement and Commitment, USA. Available at: file:///C:/Users/hp/Desktop/1006EmployeeEngagementOnlineReport.pdf.
- William, A.N. (2010) "Employee Motivation And Performance", Business Management, (December), pp. 1-81. Available at: http://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/22787/akah_william.pdf.
- Wilson, T.B. (2003) Innovative reward systems for the changing work place, New York.