On motivation and enterprise education - ensuring manageable goals and objectives
There is growing recognition that the standard approach to motivation, referred to as Motivation 2.0 is not necessary adequate for assessing the contemporary drivers for students and budding entrepreneurs. Some have argued that the concept of goal setting may act as much as an inhibitor as a motivator. This perspective on goal setting can, prima facie, be very relevant to the entrepreneurial educator. In this research exercise the contemporary thinking on motivation and motivational approached will be explored and applied to the development of entrepreneurial education curriculum development and pedagogic structures. Those entrusted with the nurturing and development of any innate entrepreneurial potential must ensure that the teaching and learning environment is dynamic and as individualized as possible. Key to any individualized delivery mechanism is a coherent understanding of motivational factors and activities. Effective curriculum development for entrepreneurial training demands an integrated understanding of motivators which must be driven extracurricular, while enterprise education continues to become embedded in educational delivery structures. This paper addresses these demands and acts as a primer for how this could be achieved.(original abstract)
- Aldrich H., Zimmer C., 1986. Entrepreneurship Through Social Networks. (In:) D. Sexton, R. Smilor (Eds), The Art And Science of Entrepreneurship, Ballinger, Cambridge, Ma,3-23
- Amabile T.M., 1996. Creativity in Context, Westview Press, Boulder.
- Barron F., 1988. Putting Creativity To Work (In:) R.J. Sternberg (Ed.), the nature of creativity: contemporary psychological perspectives. Cambridge New York, Ny.
- Braguinsky S., Klepper S., Ohyama A., 2009. Schumpeterian entrepreneurship, vailable at: Http://Papers.Ssrn.Com/Sol3/Papers.Cfm?Abstract_Id=1347063 [Accessed: 7.04.2015].
- Douglas E. Shepherd D., 2002. Self-Employment As A Career Choice: Attitudes, entrepreneurial intentions, and utility maximization. "Entrepreneurial Theory and Practice" 26 (3),81-90, Available At: Http://Eprints.Qut.Edu.Au/5527/1/5527_1.Pdf [Accessed: 7.04.2015].
- Evans D.S., Joranovic B., 1989. An estimated model of entrepreneurial choice under liquidity constreints. "Journal of Political Economy "97 (4), 808-827.
- Fitzsimmons J.R., Douglas E.J., 2005. Entrepreneurial attitudes and entrepreneurial intentions: a cross-cultural study of potential entrepreneurs in India, China, Thailand and Australia, Babson-Kauffman Entrepreneurial Research Conference, Wellesley, Ma. June 2005, Available At: Http://Eprints.Qut.Edu.Au/6486/1/6486.Pdf [Accessed: 7.04.2015].
- Kihlstrim R.E., Laffont J.-J., 1979. A general equilibrium enterprneurial theory of firm formation based on risk aversion. "The Journal of Political Economy" 87 (4), 719-748.
- King L.A., Burton C.M., Chang E.C., 2003. The hazards of goal pursuit. Virtue, vice, and personality: the complexity of behavior, American Psychological Association, Washington D.C.
- Lucas R.E. Jr, 1978. On the size distribution of busines firms. "The Bell Journal of Economics "9 (2), 508-523.
- Mostert A., Shaikh A., 2013. Enterprise as a career choice: a multi-national study (In:) N.O. Ndubisi , S. Nwankwo (Eds), enterprise development in smes and entrepreneurial firms: dynamic processes, Igi Global, Hershey.
- Ordóĕez L.D., Schweitzer M.E., Galinsky A.D., Bazerman M.H., 2009. Goals gone wild: the systematic side effects of over-prescribing Goal-Setting, Harvard Business School Working Paper 09-083.
- Pink D.H., 2009. Drive - the surprising truth about motivation, canongate books, New York, Ny.
- Reeve J., 2005. Understanding motivation and emotion, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, Nj.
- Shane S., Locke E.A., Collins C.J., 2003. Entrepreneurial Motivation, "Human Resource Management Review" 13, 257-279.
- The Entrepreneurialist - The 'Entrepreneurial Triggers' Driving Graduate Entrepreneurship In The Uae, Available At: Https://Ientrepreneurialist.Wordpress.Com/2012/04/18/The-Entrepreneurial-Triggers-Driving-Graduate-Entrepreneurship-In-The-Uae [Accessed: 7.04.2015].