Trust Triggers and Barriers in Intercultural Teams
Intercultural teams are more and more popular nowadays - they constitute a serious challenge in terms of effective cooperation and trust building, however. The article presents the potential problems that can affect intercultural cooperation and stresses the power of trust in cultural diversity conditions. The ten-factor model of intercultural team trust is presented. The main aim was to answer the questions: what are the differences in trust factor importance in homogenous and diverse teams and what are the most dangerous trust barriers according to Y generation business students? A survey conducted on 200 respondents allowed for concluding that the deep trust (compatibility, goodwill, predictability, well-being, inclusion and accessibility) is less important than the initial trust (open sharing of information, integrity and reciprocity), with the exception of competence assessment, as well as that all the trust factors are equally important for homogenous and culturally diverse teams, even if there are some differences in their hierarchy depending on the teams' cultural composition. Language differences and stereotypes were pointed as the most important trust barriers. The influence of intercultural training on the elimination of trust barriers was also proved. (original abstract)
- Ajmal M., Hussain M., Saber H. (2012) Relationship of Culture and Trust in International Project Environments: A Theoretical Study. International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science, vol. 5: Issue: September/October, pp. 13-32, [Online], http://www.ijitcs.com/hceims2012/Mian+Ajmalb.php [20.01.2015].
- Castaldo S., Premazzi K., Zerbini F. (2010) The meaning(s) of Trust. Content Analysis on the Diverse Conceptualizations of Trust in Scholarly Research on Business Relationship. Journal of Business Ethics, 96, pp. 657-668.
- Chang H.H. Chuang S.S., Chao S.H. (2011) Determinants of cultural adaptation, communication quality, and trust in virtual teams' performance. Total Quality Management, vol. 22, no. 3, March, pp. 305-329.
- Child J. (2001) Trust - The Fundamental Bond in global Collaboration. Organizational Dynamics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 274-288.
- DeOrtentiis P., Summer J.K., Ammeter A.P., Douglas C., Ferris G.R. (2012) Cohesion and satisfaction as mediators of team trust - team effectiveness relationship. An interdependence theory perspective. Career Development International, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 521-543.
- Ferrin D.L., Gillespie N. (2010) Trust differences across national-societal cultures: much to do, or much ado about nothing [in:] Saunders M.N.K., Skinner D., Dietz G., Gillespie N., Lewicki R.J. (ed), Organizational Trust: A Cultural Perspective. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Henderson J.K., Louhiala-Salminen L. (2011) Does language affect trust in global professional contexts? Perceptions of international business professionals. Rethoric, Professional Communication and Globalization, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 15-33.
- House R., Javidan M., Dorfman P. (2002) Understanding cultures and implicit leadership theories across global: an introduction to project GLOBE. Journal of World Business, 37, pp. 3-10.
- Khan T.M., Clear F., Al-Kaabi A., Pezeshki V. (2010) An exploratory study of the effects of diversity dimensions and intervening variables on attitudes to diversity. Team Performance Management, 16 5/6, pp. 289-308.
- Kuc R.B., Żemigała M. (2010) Menedżer nowych czasów. Najlepsze metody i narzędzia zarządzania. ONE Press: Gliwice.
- Mironski J. (2010) Zarzadzanie wiedzą międzykulturową, e-mentor, no. 3 (35), [Online], http://www.e-mentor.edu.pl/artykul/index/numer/35/id/757, [10.01.2015].
- Morita P.P., Burns C. (2013) Trust token in team development. Team Performance Management, vol. 20 no. ½, pp. 39-64.
- Mühl J.K. (2014) Organizational Trust: Measurement, Impact, and the Role of Management Accountant. Springer International Publishing Switzerland. [Online], https://books.google.pl/books?id=hHq5BQAAQBAJ&pg=PA53&dq=trust+dimensions&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=Pv8SVcCSK4T7arjzgpgL&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAw