Poverty, Obesity, Diabetes: Are They the By-Products of Liberalization of Global Economy?
The paper briefly describes the causes of a global rise in obesity and diabetes. In so doing, it establishes links between (1) poverty and obesity, and (2) obesity and dia-betes. The paper also presents data from a survey (N=147) conducted in a depressed economy in Texas where cases of obesity and diabetes are among the highest in the US. The paper argues for a paradigm shift in viewing the role of policymakers in regards to food and pharmaceutical industries, both locally and globally. (original abstract)
- Baker J.L., L.W. Olsen, T.I. Sorensen, Childhood body mass index and the risk of coronary heart disease in adulthood, "New England Journal of Medicine" 2007, Vol. 357, pp. 2329-2337.
- Barquera S., I. Campos-Nonato, C. Aguilar-Salinas, R. Lopez-Ridaura, A. Arredondo, J. Ri-vera-Dommarco, Diabetes in Mexico: Cost and management of diabetes and its com-plications and challenges for health policy, "Globalization and Health" 2013, Vol. 9, No. 3, http://www.globalizationandhealth.com/content/9/1/3.
- Caballero B., S. Rubinstein, Environmental factors affecting nutritional status in urban areas of developing countries, "Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutricion" 1997, Vol. 47, No. 2, Suppl. 1, pp. 3-8.
- Case A., A. Menendez, Sex differences in obesity rates in poor countries: Evidence from South Africa, "Economics and Human Biology" 2009, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 271-282.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Overweight and Obesity: Adult Obesity Facts, 2010, http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html.
- Drewnowski A., B.M. Popkin, The nutrition transition: trends in the global diet, "Nutrition Review" 1997, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 31-43.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations, The state of food and agriculture, Rome 2013, http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3300e/i3300e.pdf.
- Gonzalez A., Obesity among the Hungry: The Weighty Paradox of Poverty, 2013, http://www.classyawards.org/exchange/obesity-among-the-hungry-the-weighty-para-dox-of-poverty/.
- Herrera R.M., What has free trade done for Mexico? Create an obesity and diabetes epi-demic, "The Guardian" 2015, April 6, http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree /2015/apr/06/global-south-has-free-trade-to-thank-obesity-diabetes-epidemic.
- Hoffman D.J., Obesity in developing countries: causes and implications, "Food, Nutrition and Agriculture Review" 2001, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Na-tions, Volume 28, http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/y0600m/y0600m05.htm.
- Levine J.A., Poverty and obesity in the US, "Diabetes" 2011, Vol. 60, No. 11, pp. 2667-2668.
- Li F., Obese: to be or not to be, Econointersect.com, 2012, http://econintersect.com/b2evo-lution/blog2.php/2012/06/15/obese-to-be-or-not-to-be.
- Ogdon C.L., M.D. Carroll, B.K. Kit, K.M. Flegal, Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1900-2010, "Journal of American Medical Association" 2012, Vol. 357, pp. 2329-2337.
- Overseas Development Institute, Obesity soars to alarming levels in the developing coun-tries, "The Guardian" 2014, January 3rd, http://www.theguardian.com/global-devel-opment/2014/jan/03/obesity-soars-alarming-levels-developing-countries.
- Phillips D.R., Urbanization and human health, "Parasitology" 1993, Vol. 106, pp. S93-107.
- Popkin B.M., S. Paeratakul, F. Zhai, K. Ge, A review of dietary and environmental correlates of obesity with emphasis on developing countries, "Obesity Research" 1995, Vol. 3, Suppl. 2, pp. 145S-153S.
- Schroeder D.G., R. Martorell, R. Flores, Infant and child growth and fatness and fat distri-bution in Guatemalan adults, "American Journal of Epidemiology" 1999, Vol. 149, pp. 177-185.
- Sifferlin A., This is why FDA is banning trans fats, "Time" 2015, June 16th, http://time.com/ 3922629/this-is-why-fda-is-banning-trans-fats/.
- Singh A.S., C. Mulder, J.W. Twisk, W. van Mechelen, M.J. Chinapaw, Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature, "Obesity Reviews" 2008, Vol. 9, pp. 474-488.
- The Trust for America's Health, Adult Obesity in the United States, 2015, http://stateofobe-sity.org/adult-obesity/.
- U.S. Cenzus Bureau, The Hispanics Population: 2010. Census Briefs, 2011, http://www.cen-sus.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-04.pdf.
- UN, World urbanization prospects: the 1999 revision, United Nations Population Division, New York 1999.
- Wiggins S., Obesity soars to 'alarming' levels in developing countries, "The Guardian" 2014, January 3rd, http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2014 /jan/03/weighty-problem-halt-obesity-developing-world.
- Witters D., U.S. diabetes rate climb above 11 %; could hit 15% by 2015, Gallup Report, 2009, October 27th, http://www.gallup.com/poll/123887/u.s.-diabetes-rate-climb-above-11-could-hit-15-2015.aspx.