Circular Economy - the Role of the Environmental Life Cycle Assessment, Opportunities, Barriers and Challenges
Environmental Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is an environmental management technique which, because of its potential, can be applied in many different areas. Its key role in increasing the efficiency of waste management is emphasised in the literature onthe subject. This paper intends to make a contribution to the discussion on this subject and its primary goals are to present LCA in the context of implementation of circular economy and to assess the chances of popularisation of this concept in Poland. Based on own survey results, it was demonstrated that while the vast majority of respondents assured of their sense of environmental awareness, a little over 60% of respondents stated that they systematically segregate municipal waste. Thus making the transition towards a circular economy in Poland requires the increase in public's involvement and adequate education in this field. (original abstract)
- The National Waste Management Plan 2014, updated version of 17 September 2015 (in Polish), Ministry of the Environment, Warsaw, p. 35-53; online: www.mos.gov.pl/g2/big/ 2015_09/8fc2497f345721fe22ca200b9ceac577.pdf (accessed: 15.11.2015).
- Corbett Ch., J., 2015, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) as an introduction to the Circular Economy, Journal of Reverse Logistics, no 3(16), p. 61-63.
- Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on waste and repealing certain Directives, Official Journal of the European Union, L 312/3.
- A resource-efficient Europe - Flagship initiative under the Europe 2020 Strategy, COM(2011) 21 of 26 January 2011, Communication from The Commission to The European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic and Social Committee and The Committee of The Regions, Brussels; online: www.ec.europa.eu/resourceefficient-europe/.../resource_ef... (accessed: 15.11.2015).
- www.product-life.org/pl/c2c-od-kolyski-do-kolyski (in Polish) (accessed:11.10.15).
- Klonowski J., 2015, The possibility of using European methodology for measuring the environmental performance of the eco-innovation projects (in Polish), Proceedings of the Conference "EVENT o EKO innowacjach", Poznan 24-25.11.2015, p. 23-29.
- Kłos Z., Kurczewski P., 2007, LCA Centres in Poland. Basic information about history, locataion and research activities, Scientific Papers of the Poznan University of Technology, Faculty of Machines and Transport, no 62, p. 7-21.
- The National Waste Prevention Programme 2014 (in Polish), Warsaw, p. 26-37; online: www.mos.gov.pl/g2/big/2014_02/9eb50a325ed3098179730907a88a 53d5.pdf (accessed: 15.11.2015).
- Towards a Circular Economy: A Zero Waste Programme for Europe COM(2014) 398 of 2 July 2014, Communication from The Commission to The European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic and Social Committee and The Committee of The Regions, Brussels; online: www.ec.europa.eu/environment/circular-economy/.../circul_ep... (accessed: 15.11.2015).
- Kulczycka J., 2009, Life cycle thinking in Polish official documents and research. The determination of discount rate for green public procurement, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, no 14(5), p. 375-378.
- Kulczycka J., Kurczewski P., Kasprzak J., Lewandowska A., Lewicki R., Witczak A., Witczak J., 2011, The Polish Centre for Life Cycle Assessment-the centre for life cycle assessment in Poland, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, no 16(5), p. 442-444.
- Kulczycka J., Pietrzyk-Sokulska E. (eds.), 2009, Evolution of municipal waste management in Poland (in Polish), Publishing house of IGSMiE PAN , Cracow.
- Kulczycka J., Wernicka M., 2015, Can the public procurement be green? (in Polish), Proceedings of the Conference "EVENT o EKO innowacjach", Poznan 24-25.11.2015, p. 84-91.
- Kurczewski P., 2014, Life cycle thinking in small and medium enterprises: the results of research on the implementation of life cycle tools in Polish SMEs-part 1: background and framework, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, no 19(3), p. 593-600.
- Lewandowska A., 2011, Environmental Life Cycle Assessment as a tool for identification and assessment of environmental aspects in environmental management systems (EMS). Part 1 Methodology, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, no 16(2), p. 178-186.
- Lewandowska A., 2015, Environmental Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of products - closer than ever before (in Polish), Journal of Reverse Logistics, no 4(17), p. 28-31.
- Matlak D., 2015, Towards the Circular Economy (in Polish), Journal of Reverse Logistics, no 4(17), p. 9-10.
- Matuszak-Flejszman A., 2015, Eco-innovation in business management (in Polish), Proceedings of the Conference "EVENT o EKOinnowacjach", Poznan 24-25.11.2015, p. 72-78.
- Michniewska K., 2015, Analysis of secondary raw material prices in Poland in 2014 - the situation after the change of the power over municipal waste, Journal of Reverse Logistics, no 2(15), p. 57 - 63.
- ISO 14040:2009 Environmental management-life cycle assessment -principles and framework, CEN, Brussels.