From Financial Measures to Strategic Performance Measurement System and Corporate Sustainability : Empirical Evidence from Slovakia
Today's world brings in many new pulses for enterprises not to focus on well established performance management tools used in the past. There is an obvious need to use new methods of performance management within strategic-oriented management. A good example here is also the concept of corporate sustainability. This concept is focused on company's performance in the long term, whereby the company essentially follows not only profitability, but also takes into account the process and results of all activities in relation to surrounding community and environment. The main aim of this paper is to analyse different phases of measuring and managing business performance, and also to measure the impact of the selected measurement tools of performance management on the overall business performance of Slovak enterprises, as well as to highlight the relation of the composite index of sustainable development with business performance. The results show the very important link between business strategy and system for measuring and managing corporate performance, which is positively reflected in the achievement of the overall performance. Also confirmed is the relationship with the composite index of sustainable development. (original abstract)
- Afonina, A. (2015), Strategic Management Tools and Techniques and Organizational Performance: Findings from the Czech Republic, Journal of Competitiveness, 7 (3), pp. 19-36.
- Ahmed, P. K, Lim, K. K. & Zairy, M. (1999), Measurement practice for knowledge management, Journal of Workplace Learning: Employee Counselling Today, 11 (8), pp. 304-311, doi:10.1108/13665629910300478.
- Barkemeyer, R., Holt, D., Preuss, L. & Tsang, S. (2014), What Happened to the "Development" in Sustainable Development? Business Guidelines Two Decades After Brundtland, Sustainable Development, 22 (1), pp. 15-32, doi: 10.1002/sd.521.
- Bento, A., Bento, R. & White, L. F. (2014), Strategic Performance Management Systems: Impact on business results, Journal of Computer Information Systems, 54 (3), pp. 25-33.
- Belás, J., Bilan, Y., Demjan, V. & Sipko, J. (2015), Entrepreneurship in SME Segment: Case Study from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, Amfiteatru Economic, 17 (38), pp. 308-326.
- Belás, J. & Gabčová, L. (2016), The Relationship among Customer Satisfaction, Loyalty and Financial Performance of Commercial Banks, E + M Ekonomie a Management, 19(1), pp. 132-147, doi: 10.15240/tul/001/2016-1-010.
- Belás, J., Vojtovič, S. & Ključnikov, A. (2016), Microenterprises and Significant Risk Factors in Loan Process, Economics and Sociology, 9(1), pp. 43-59, doi: 10.14254/2071-789X.2016/9-1/3.
- Bisbe, J. & Malagueňo, R. (2012), Using strategic performance measurement systems for strategy formulation: Does it work in dynamic environments? Management Accounting Research, 23 (4), pp. 296-311, doi: 10.1016/j.mar.2012.05.002.
- Bourne, M., Neely, A., Mills, J. & Platts, K. (2003), Implementing performance measurement systems: a literature review, International Journal of Business Performance Management, 5 (5), pp. 1-24, doi: 10.1504/IJBPM.2003.002097.
- Burgess, T. F., Ong, T. S. & Shaw, N. E. (2007), Traditional or contemporary? The prevalence of performance measurement system types, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 56 (7), pp. 583-602, doi: 10.1108/17410400710823633.
- Dossi, A. & Pateli, L. (2010), You Learn From What You Measure: Financial and Non-financial Performance Measures, Long Range Planning, 43 (4), pp. 498-526, doi: 10.1016/j.lrp.2010.01.002.
- Dobrovič, J. & Korauš, A. (2015), Management Trends in Slovakia's Tax Revenue Administration and its Process Model for Slovakia's Economic Performance, 12th International Scientific Conference on European Financial Systems 2015, Brno: Masarykova univerzita v Brne, pp. 87-92.
- Eccles, R. G. (1991), The Performance Measurement Manifesto, Harvard Business Review, January-February issue, pp. 131-137.
- Fauzi, H., Svensson, G. & Rahman, A. A. (2010), "Triple Bottom Line" as "Sustainable Corporate Performance": A proposition for the Future, Journal of Sustainability, 2 (5), pp. 1345-1360, doi: 10.3390/su2051345.
- Figge, F., Hahn, T., Schaltegger, S. & Wagner, M. (2002), The Sustainability Balanced Scorecard - Linking sustainability management to business strategy, Business Strategy and the Environment, 11 (5), pp. 269-284, doi: 10.1002/bse.339.
- Figge, F., Hahn, T., Schaltegger, S. & Wagner, M. (2002), The Sustainability Balanced Scorecard - Theory and Application of a Tool or Value-Based Sustainability Management, Center for Sustainability Management: University of Lueneburg, retrieved from: http://www.ecnc.org/uploads/documents/the-sustainably-balanced-scorecard-theory-and-application-of-a-tool-for-value-based-sustainability-management.pdf
- Frankovský, M., Štefko, R. & Baumgartner, F. (2006), Behavioral-situational approach to examining social intelligence, Studia psychologica, 48 (3), pp. 251-257, retrieved from: http://search.proquest.com/docview/220103058?accountid=49283.
- Ghalayini, A. M. & Noble, J. S. (1996), The changing basis of performance measurement, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 16 (8), pp. 63-80, doi.org/10.1108/01443579610125787.
- Gibbons, R. & Kaplan, R. S. (2015), Formal Measures in Informal Management: Can a Balanced Scorecard Change a Culture? American Economic Review, 105 (5), pp. 447-451, doi: 10.1257/aer.p20151073.
- Gimbert, X., Bisbe, J. & Mendoza, X. (2010), Measurement Systems in Strategy Formulation Processes, Long Range Planning 43 (4), pp. 477-497, doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2010.01.001.
- Hedberg, C. J. & Malmborg, F. (2003), The global report initiative and corporate sustainability reporting in Swedish companies, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 10 (3), pp. 153-164, doi: 10.1002/csr.038.
- Chenhall, R. H. (2005), Integrative strategic performance measurement systems, strategic alignment of manufacturing, learning and strategic outcomes: an exploratory study, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 30 (5), pp. 395-422, doi: 10.1016/j.aos.2004.08.001.
- Jagdev, H., Bradley, P. & Molloy, O. (1997), A QFD based performance measurement tool, Computers in Industry, 33 (2-3), pp. 357-366, doi:10.1016/S0166-3615(97)00041-9.
- Kaplan, R. S. & Norton, D. P. (1993), Putting the Balanced Scorecard to Work, Harvard Business Review, pp. 4-17, retrieved from: https://hbr.org/1993/09/putting-the-balanced-scorecard-to-work.
- Keeble, J. J, Topiol, S. & Berkeley, S. (2002), Using Indicators to Measure Sustainability Performance at a Corporate and Project Level, Journal of Business Ethics, 44 (2), pp. 149-158, retrieved from: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1023343614973