Europe Closer to its Citizens: Making Sense of the Lisbon Treaty's Legal Mechanisms
This article reviews the relationship between the European Union and its citizens in the light of the constitutional failure. The authors argue that the constitutional treaty and its failure were an important element in the formation of a sense of European citizenship but that the failure was as much a constructive element as the debate engendered by the drafting of the text. The identity as a European citizen is a composite and complex one that is not easily reconciled with established definitions emanating from the understanding in the context of nation-states. The authors argue for a positive and constructive interpretation of developments embedded in the reality of the creation of the Union itself, with feats of accomplishments, flights of fancy and regular failures.(original abstract)
- Adam S., Elsuwege E Van, Citizenship Rights and the Federal Balance between the European Union and its Member States: Comment on Dereci, "European Law Review", No. 37/2012.
- Amhlaigh C. Mac, Revolt by Referendum? In Search of a European Constitutional Narrative, "European Law Journal", No. 15/2009.
- Bellamy R., Castiglione D., Shaw J., Making European Citizens: Civic Inclusion in the Transnational Context, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke 2006.
- (Editorial Comments), Two-speed European Citizenship? Can the Lisbon Treaty Help Close the Gap?, "Common Market Law Review", No. 45/2008.
- Habermas J., Bringing the Integration of Citizens into Line with Integration of the State, "European Law Journal", No. 18/2012.
- Habermas J., The European Nation-State: On the Past and Future of Sovereignty and Citizenship in: The Inclusion of the Other: studies in political theory, J. Habermas, eds. C. Cronin, E De Greif, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass 1998.
- Habermas J., Why Europe Needs a Constitution?, in: Developing a Constitution for Europe, eds. E.O. Eriksen, J.E. Possum, A.J. Menendez, Routledge, London 2004
- Hartnell H., Belonging: Citizenship and Migration in the European Union and in Germany, "Berkeley Journal of International Law", No. 8/2006.
- Hinarejos A., Citizenship of the EU: Clarifying'Genuine Enjoyment of the Substance" of Citizenship Rights, "Cambridge Law Journal", No. 71/2012.
- Jacobs F., Citizenship of the European Union: A Legal Analysis, "European Law Journal", No. 13/2007.
- Judt Т., Postwar: A history of Europe since 1945, Heinemann, London 2005.
- Kochenov D,,A Real European Citizenship; A New Jurisdiction Test; A Novel Chapter in the Development of the Union in Europe, "Columbia Journal of European Law", No. 1/2011.
- Kochenov D., The Right to Have What Rights? EU Citizenship in Need of Clarification, "European Law Journal", No. 19/2013.
- Krygier M., Law as Tradition, "Law & Philosophy", No. 5/1986. Kumm M., Why Europeans will Not Embrace Constitutional Patriotism, "International Journal of Constitutional Law", No. 6/2008.
- Kurpas S., The Treaty of Lisbon - How much 'Constitution is Left? An Overview of the Main Changes, "CEPS Policy Brief", No. 147/2007.
- Kurpas S., Schönlau J., Deadlock Avoided, But Sense of Mission Lost? The Enlarged EU and its Uncertain Constitution, "CEPS Policy Brief", No. 92/2006.
- Lansbergen A., Shaw J., National Membership Models in a Multi-level Europe, Paper delivered at the IEPL Conference, 25-26.06.2009, Hull.
- The Lisbon Treaty: EU Constitutionalism without a Constitutional Treaty, eds.
- S. Griller, J. Ziller, Springer, Wien; New York 2008.
- McDonald H., Stratton A., Irish voters reject EU Treaty, "The Guardian", 13.06.2008, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jun/13/ireland.
- Menendez A.-J., European Constitutional Law, Between Constitution-making and Governance, Paper delivered at the IEPL Conference, 25- 26.06.2009, Hull.
- Menendez A.-J., Governance and Constitutionalism in the European Order, in: The European Union Order after Lisbon, eds. P. Birkinshaw, M. Varney, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, Boston 2010.
- Morris R., European Citizenship: Cross-Border Relevance, Deliberate Fraud and Proportionate Responses to Potential Statelessness, "European Public Law", No. 17/2011.
- Neuman G.L., Book Review, "American Journal of International Law", No. 96/2002.
- Paskalev V., Lisbon Treaty and the Possibility of a European Network Demoicracy, "EUI Working Papers Law", No. 20/2009.
- Peers S., EU Reform Treaty: Analysis, Statewatch Analysis 2007, http:// www.statewatch.org/news/2007/oct/analysis-5-reform-treaty-oct-2007.pdf (last visited 13.03.2012).
- Pernice I.-C., The Constitution for Europe: A Legal Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2006.
- Pernice I.-C., Multilevel Constitutionalism and the Treaty if Amsterdam: European Constitution-Making Revisited?, "Common Market Law Review", No. 36/1999.
- Rostek K., Davis G., The Impact of Union Citizenship on national Citizenship Policies, "European Integration on line papers" 2006, http://eiop.orat/ eiop/article/index.php (last visited 21.05.2012).
- Sadurski W., European Constitutional Identity?, "EUI Working Papers, Law", No. 2006/33.
- Schrauwen A., European Union Citizenship in the Treaty of Lisbon: Any Change at All, "Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law", No. 15/2008.
- Shaw J., The Interpretation of European Union Citizenship, "Modern Law Review", No. 61/1998.
- Shaw J., The Transformation of Citizenship in the European Union, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2007.
- Snell J., European Constitution Settlement: An Ever Closer Union, "European Law Review", No. 33/2008.
- Szewczyk B.M.J., European Citizenship and National Democracy: Contemporary Sources of Legitimacy of the European Union, "Columbia Journal of European Law", No. 17/2011.
- Torre M. La, Citizenship: A European Wagner, "Ratio Juris", No. 8/1995.
- Torre M. La, Citizenship and the European Democracy: European Constitution and the Treaty of Lisbon, in: The European Union Legal Order after Lisbon, eds. P. Birkinshaw, M. Varney, Kluwer Law International, Alphen aan den Rijn 2010.
- Weiler J.H.H., Federalism Without Constitutionalism: Europe's Sonderweg, in: The Federal Vision: Legitimacy and Levels of Governance in the US and the EU, eds. K. Nicolaidis, R. Howse, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2001.
- Weiler J.H.H., (Editorial) Individuals and Rights: The Sour Grapes, "European Journal of International Law", No. 21/2010.
- Wind M., Post-National Citizenship in Europe: The EU as a Welfare Rights Generator, "Columbia Journal of European Law", No. 15/2009.
- Woodward A., Who's fit for Europe? The European Fitness of Belgian Regional Parliaments and the Implications for Democratic Participation (paper delivered at the 8th Biennial International Conference, 27-29.03.2003, Nashville Tennessee).
- European Parliament Draft Report on the use by Parliament of the Symbols of the Union, 20072240(Reg), PR\70357EN.doc, 30.01.2008.