Effectiveness of Macroeconomic Policies in the Context of Closed and Open Economies
Monetary policy and fiscal policy are the two important macroeconomic policies which are used to achieve certain major macroeconomic goals like economic growth, unemployment reduction, counteract inflation and overall economic development of the nation. The effect of macroeconomic variables may differ in terms of degree, duration, different economic systems and under different exchange rate regimes. This study analyses the effectiveness of monetary policy and fiscal policy on the economy in terms of economic integration and different exchange rate regimes. Regression analysis in this study found that the fiscal policy is more effective in a closed economy and monetary policy is more effective in an open economy. Also the study finds that the fiscal policy is more effective under managed float exchange rate regime and monetary policy is more effective under perfectly flexible exchange rate. So this study also validated Mundell- Fleming model.(original abstract)
- Araoz M.F., Cerro A.M., Meloni O., Genta T.S. (2009): Empirical Evidence on Fiscal Policy Sustainability in Argentina. "The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics", Vol. 1, No. 3-4, pp. 116-127.
- Campbell L., Wren-Lewis S. (2008): Interactions between Monetary and Fiscal Policy under Flexible Exchange Rates. "Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control", Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 2854-2882.
- Chang M.-J., Liu M.-Ch. (2010): Monetary and Fiscal Policy Rules in a Closed Economy. The 11th Annual Conference on Empirical Economics, Sinjhung.
- Clarida R., Gali J., Gertler M. (1999): The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective. "Journal of Economic Literature", Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 1661-1707.
- Clarida R., Gali J., Gertler M. (2001): Optimal Monetary Policy in Open versus Closed Economies: An Integrated Approach. "American Economic Review", Vol. 91, No. 2, pp. 248-252.
- Cooper R.N. (1976): Monetary Theory and Policy in an Open Economy. "The Scandinavian Journal of Economics", Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 146-163.
- Devereux B., Engel Ch. (2003): Monetary Policy in The Open Economy Revisited: Price Setting and Exchange-Rate Flexibility. "Review of Economic Studies", Vol. 70, pp. 765-783.
- Frenkel J.A., Mussa M.L. (1981): Monetary and Fiscal Policies in an Open Economy. "The American Economic Review", Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 253-258.
- Fleming J.M. (1962): Domestic Financial Policies under Fixed and under Floating Exchange Rates. "Staff Papers International Monetary Fund", Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 369-380.
- Lu X., In F. (2005): Open Market Operations and Implementation of Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy: Case of New Zealand. "The Business Review", Vol. 4, No. 1.
- Negrete J.C. (2001): Fiscal Institutions and Welfare in an Open Economy. "The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics", Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Phillips A.W. (1954): Stabilization Policy in a Closed Economy. "The Economic Journal", Vol. 64, No. 254, pp. 290-323.
- Swoboda K. (1973): Monetary Policy under Fixed Exchange Rates: Effectiveness, the Speed of Adjustment and Proper Use. "Economica", Vol. 40, No. 158, pp. 136-54.