Removing Inconsistency in Pairwise Comparisons Matrix in the AHP
The Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) allows to create a final ranking for a discrete set of decision variants on the basis of an earlier pairwise comparison of all the criteria and all the decision variants within each criterion. The properties of the obtained ranking depend on the quality of pairwise comparisons; this quality can be evaluated on the basis of consistency measured by means of certain measures. The paper discusses a mathematical model which is the foundation of the AHP and a starting point for a new method which allows to significantly reduce - and even eliminate - the inconsistency of pairwise comparisons measured by the consistency index. The proposed method allows to reduce the consistency index well below the threshold of 0.1.(original abstract)
- Bana e Costa C.A., Vansnick J.C. (2008), A Critical Analysis of the Eigenvalue Method Used to Derive Priorities in AHP, European Journal of Operational Research, 187, 1422-1428.
- Benitez J., Delgado-Galvan X., Gutiérrez J.A., Izquierdo J. (2011a), Balancing Consistency and Expert Judgment in AHP, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 54, 1785-1790.
- Benitez J., Delgado-Galvan X., Izquierdo J., Perez-Garcia. R. (2011b), Achieving Matrix Consistency in AHP through Linearization, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 35(9), 4449-4457.
- Ergu D., Kou G., Peng Y., Shi Y. (2011), A Simple Method to Improve the Consistency Ratio of the Pair-wise Comparison Matrix in ANP, European Journal of Operational Research, 213, 246-259.
- Miller G. (1956), The Magical Number of Seven Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on Our Capacity for Processing Information, Psychological Review, 63, 81-97.
- Saaty T.L. (1980), The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning, Priority Setting, Resource Allocation, McGraw-Hill.
- Saaty T.L. (2003), Decision-making with the AHP: Why Is the Principal Eigenvector Necessary, European Journal of Operational Research, 145, 85-91.
- Saaty T.L. (2008), Relative Measurement and Its Generalization in Decision Making: Why Pairwise Comparisons Are Central in Mathematics for the Measurement of Intangible Factors - The Analytic Hierarchy/Network Process, Review of the Royal Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences, Series A: Mathematics (RACSAM), 102(2), 251-318.
- Siraj S., Mikhailov L., Keane J. (2012), A Heuristic Method to Rectify Intransitive Judgments in Pairwise Comparison Matrices, European Journal of Operational Research, 216, 420-428.
- Zahedi F. (1986), The Analytic Hierarchy Process: A Survey of the Method and Its Applications, Interfaces, 16(4), 96-108.
- Zeshui X. (2004), A Practical Method for Improving Consistency of Judgement Matrix in the AHP, Journal of Systems Science and Complexity, 17(2), 169-175.