Evaluation of the Long-Term Fertilizer Experiment : How Organic Manures, Mineral Fertilizers and Potato Varieties Affected Tuber Yields
We evaluated how organic manures (farmyard manure, dung water and poultry slurry), different doses of mineral fertilizers (three treatments), combinations of manures with mineral fertilizers (three treatments), and potato varieties (four varieties) influenced potato tuber yields in our longterm fertilizer experiment in Prague, established in 1954. According to our crop rotation, potatoes were planted every ninth year, starting in 1962. Four potato varieties were used since then (Krasava, Radka, Korela, Dita), all of them were medium-maturing and consumable. The average potato yield was 19.1 Mg ha-1 at the beginning of our experiment (1962, var. Krasava) and 37.5 Mg ha-1 in 2007 (var. Dita), showing low suitability of the experimental site for potato production. The mean tuber yield of varieties Krasava, Radka, Korela and Dita was 18.5, 17.1, 30.2 and 37.5 Mg ha-1, respectively. The effect of organic manures was principally comparable with mineral fertilizers. Increasing doses of mineral fertilizers were not related to appropriate increase in tuber yield. Therefore, application of N, P and K around 50, 50 and 144 kg ha-1, respectively, gives fair yields in such non-optimal production area, as is our experimental site. In the case of warm and dry seasons, even high doses of the mineral fertilizers can't ensure usual potato production. (original abstract)
- Agbede T.M. (2010). Tillage and fertilizer effects on some soil properties, leaf nutrient concentrations, growth and sweet potato yield on an alfisol in southwestern Nigeria, "Soil and Tilagel Research" 110: 2010 s 25-32.
- Akparobi S.O. (2009). Effect of farmyard manures on the growth and yield of Amaranthus cruentus, "Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica" 42 (1).
- Bandyopadhyay K.K., Misra A.K., Ghosh P.K., Hati K.M. (2010). Effect of integrated use of farmyard manure and chemical fertilizers on soil physical properties and productivity of soybean, "Soil and Tilagel Research" 110: 2010 s 115-125.
- Balemi T. (2012). Effect if integrated use of cattle manure and inorganic fertilizers on tuber yield of potato in Ethiopia, "Journal of Soil Science" 12: 2012 s 253-261.
- Barzegar A.R., Yousefi A., Daryashenas A. (2002). The effect of addition of different amounts and type sof organic materials on soil physical properties and yield of wheat. "Plant and Soil" 247: 2002 s 295-301.
- Blaise D., Singh J.V., Bonde A.N., Tekale K.U., Mayee C.D. (2005). Effects of farmyard manure and fertilizers on yield, fibre quality and nutrient balance of rainfed cotton (Gossypium hirsutum), "Bioresource Technology" 96: 2005 s 345-349.
- Caliskan M.E., Kilic S., Gunel E., Mert M. (2004). Effect of farmyard manure and mineral fertilization on growth and yield of early potato (Solanum tuberosum) under the Mediterranean conditions in Turkey, "Indian Journal of Agronomy" 49: 2004 s 198-200.
- Eghball B., Wienhold B.J., Gilley J.E., Eigenberg R.A. (2002). Mineralization of manure nutrients, "Journal of Soil and Water Conservation" 57: 2002 s 470-473.
- Errebhi M., Rosen C.J., Gupta S.C., Birong D.E. (1998). Potato yield response and nitrate leaching as influenced by nitrogen management, "Agronomy Journal" 90: 1998 s 10-15.
- Geisseler D., Scow K.M. (2014). Long-term effects of mineral fertilizers on soil microorganism - A review, "Soil Biology and Biochemistry" 75: 2014 s 54-63. Hamouz K., Lachman J., Dvořák P., Pivec V. (2005). The effect of ecological growing on the potatoes yield and quality, "Plant, Soil and Environment" 51: 2005 s 397-402.
- Hati K.M., Mandal K.G., Misra A.K., Ghosh P.K., Bandyopadhyay K.K. (2006). Effect of inorganic fertilizer and farmyard manure on soil physical properties, root distribution, and water-use efficiency of soybean in Vertisols of central India, "Bioresource Technology" 97: 2006 s 2182-2188.
- Hejcman M., Kunzová E. (2010). Sustainability of winter wheat production on sandyloamy Cambisol in the Czech Republic: results from a long-term fertilizer and crop rotation experiment, "Field Crop Research" 115: 2010 s 191-199.
- Hejcman M., Kunzová E., Šrek P. (2012). Sustainability of winter wheat production over 50 years of crop rotation and N, P and K fertilizer application on illimerized luvisol in the Czech Republic, "Field Crops Research" 139: 2012 s 30-38.
- Hlisnikovsky L., Kunzova E., Hejcman M., Dvoracek V. (2015). Effect of fertilizer application, soil type, and year on yield and technological parameters of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum) in the Czech Republic, "Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science" 61: 2015 s 33-53.
- Ibrahim M., Hassan A.U., Iqbal M., Valeem E.E. (2008). Response of wheat growth and yield to various levels of compost and organic manure, "Pakistan Journal of Botany" 40: 2008 s 2135-2141. Kanal A., Kuldkepp P. (1993). Direct and residual effect of different organic fertilizers on potato and cereals. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science" 171: 1993 s 185-195.
- Kayser M., Müller J., Isselstein J. (2010). Nitrogen management in organic farming: comparison of crop rotation residual effects on yield, N leaching and soil conditions, "Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems" 87: 2010 s 21-31.
- Koutroubas S.D., Antoniadis V., Damalas C.H.A., Fotiadis S. (2016). Effect of organic manure on wheat grain yield, nutrient accumulation, and translocation, "Agronomy Journal" 108: 2016 s 1-11.
- Sradnick A., Oltmans M., Raupp J., Joergensen R.G. (2014). Microbial residue indices down the soil profile after long-term addition of farmyard manure and mineral fertilizers to a sandy soil, "Geoderma" 226-227: 2014 s 79-84.
- Šrek P., Hejcman M., Kunzová E. (2010). Multivariete analysis of relationship between potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) yield, amount of applied elemenets, thein concentrations in tubers and uptake in a long-term fertilizer experiment, "Field Crop Research" 118: 183-193.
- Waddell J.T., Gupta S.C., Moncrief J.F., Rosen C.J., Steele D.D. (1999). Irrigation and nitrogen management effects on potato yield, tuber quality, and nitrogen uptake, "Agronomy Journal" 91: 1999 s 991-997
- Zhang Y.G., Zhang Y.Y., Cai J.P., Zhu P., Gao H.J., Jiang Y. (2014). Variation in available micronutrients in black soil after 30-year fertilization treatment, "Plant, Soil and Environment" 60: 2014 s 387-393