Responsible Ownership in the Family Firm :a Research Agenda and Latest Findings
The focus of this paper is the concept of responsible ownership in privately-held firms, both family and nonfamily-owned and managed. The purpose of this paper is to clarify, first of all, the meaning of responsible ownership in this context. Drawing both from the conceptual and empirical literature in family business, corporate governance, and other studies on privately-held firms, the author then presents a research framework and preliminary findings, primarily focused on the ownership behaviors, attitudes and their antecedents associated with firm performance. Included in the presentation of the framework is the application of various theories, including the resource-based view, agency theory, stewardship theory and social capital theory, to the research questions under study. The final part of the paper points out gaps and suggests directions for future research. (original abstract)
- Aminoff P., Blom A., Pärssinen K., Helkama J., Koiranen M., Nyman K., Paasikivi K. (2004), On the characteristics and duties involved in responsible ownership, Helsinki: Family Business Network Finland.
- Aragón Amonarriz C., Iturrioz Landart C. (2016), Responsible family ownership in small- and medium-sized family enterprises: An exploratory study, "Business Ethics: A European Review", Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 75-93.
- Aronoff C.E. (1999), Megatrends in Family Business, "Family Business Review", Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 181-185.
- Aronoff C.E., Ward J.L. (2002), Family Business Ownership: How to be an Effective Shareholder, Marietta, GA: Family Enterprise Publishers.
- Arregle L-J., Hitt M.A., Sirmon D.G., Very P. (2007), The development of organizational social capital: Attributes of family firms, "Journal of Management Studies", Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 73-95.
- Berent-Braun M.M. (2010), Does ownership matter? Ownership dynamics, ownership social capital and responsible ownership in private firms, Published PhD Dissertation, Nyenrode Business Universiteit.
- Berent-Braun M.M., Uhlaner L.M. (2012a), Responsible ownership behaviors and financial performance in family-owned businesses, "Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development", Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 20-38.
- Berent-Braun M.M., Uhlaner L.M. (2012b), Family governance practices and teambuilding: Paradox of the enterprising family, "Small Business Economics Journal", Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 103-119.
- Berent-Braun M.M., Uhlaner L.M., Flören R.H. (2011), Ownership social capital and firm performance: Evidence from a Dutch sample, 11th Annual IFERA World Family Business Research Conference, Palermo, Italy, June 28-July 1.
- Besser T.L. (1998), The significance of community to business social responsibility, "Rural Sociology", Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 412-431.
- Bolino M.C., Turnley W.H., Bloodgood J.M. (2002), Citizenship behavior and the creation of social capital in organizations, "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 505-522.
- Bosma N., Van Praag M., Thurik R., De Wit G. (2004), The value of human and social capital investments for the business performance of startups, "Small Business Economics", Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 227-236.
- Bouty I. (2000), Interpersonal and interactional influences on informal resources exchanges between R&D researchers across organizational borders, "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 50-65.
- Chrisman J.J., Chua J.H., Kellermann, F.W., Chang E.P.C. (2007), Are family managers agents or stewards? An exploratory study in privately held family firms, "Journal of Business Research", Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 1030-1038.
- Chua J.H., Chrisman J.J., Bergiel E.B. (2009), An agency theoretic analysis of the professionalized family firm, "Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice", Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 355-372.
- Cohen S.G., Bailey D.E. (1997), What makes teams work: Group effectiveness research from the shop floor to the executive suite, "Journal of Management", Vol. 23, No. 3, pp: 239-90.
- Combs J., Liu Y., Hall A., Ketchen D. (2006), How much do high-performance practices matter? A meta-analysis of their effects on organizational performance, "Personnel Psychology", Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 501-528.
- Demb A., Neubauer F.F. (1992), The corporate board: Confronting the paradoxes, Long Range Planning, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 9-20.
- Demb A., Richey B. (1994), Defining responsible ownership: Cross-national perspective, "European Management Journal", Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 287-296.
- Dess G.G. (1987), Consensus on strategy formulation and organizational performance: Competitors in a fragmented industry, "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 259-277.
- Doh J., Quigley N. (2014), Responsible leadership and stakeholder engagement: Influence pathways and organizational outcomes, "Academy of Management Perspectives", August, Vol. 28, No. 3 pp. 255-274.
- Ensley M.D., Pearson A.W. (2005), An exploratory comparison of the behavioral dynamics of top management teams in family and nonfamily new ventures: Cohesion, conflict, potency, and consensus, "Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice", Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 267-284.
- Guth W.D., MacMillan I.C. (1986), Strategic implementation versus middle management self-interest, "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 313-327.
- Guthrie J.P. (2001), High-involvement work practices, turnover, and productivity: Evidence from New Zealand, "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 180-190.
- Habbershon T.G., Williams M.L. (1999), A resource-based framework for assessing the strategic advantages of family firms, "Family Business Review", Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 1-25.
- Hendry J., Sanderson P., Barker R., Roberts J. (2007), Responsible ownership, shareholder value and the new shareholder activism, Competition & Change, Vol. 11, pp. 223-240.
- Huse M. (1993), Relational norms as a supplement to neo-classical understanding of directorates: An empirical study of boards of directors, "Journal of Socio-Economics", Vol. 22, No. 3 (Winter), pp. 219-240.
- Huszczo G.E. (1996), Tools for Team Excellence: Getting Your Team into High Gear and Keeping it There, Palo Alto, CA: Davies-Black Publishing.
- Jones G.R., George J.M. (1998), The experience and evolution of trust: Implications for cooperation and teamwork, "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 531-546.
- Koeberle-Schmid A., Kenyon-Rouvinez D., Poza E. (2014), Governance in Family Enterprises: Maximising Economic and Emotional Success, London, UK: Palgrave-MacMillan.
- Lambrecht J., Uhlaner L.M. (2005), Responsible ownership of the family business: State-of-theart, The Family Business Network International, EHSAL Brussels.
- Leana C.R., Van Buren III H.J. (1999), Organizational social capital and employment practices, "Academy of Management Review", July, Vol. 24, No.3, pp. 538-555.
- Le Breton-Miller I., Miller D. (2009), Agency vs. stewardship in public family firms: A social embeddedness reconciliation, "Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice", July, Vol. 33, Issue 6, pp. 1169-1171.
- Maher M., Andersson T. (2002), Corporate Governance: Effects on Firm Performance and Economic Growth [in:] McCahery J.A., Moerland P., Raaijmakers T. and Renneboog L., Corporate Governance Regimes: Convergence and Diversity, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 386-418.
- McEvily B., Perrone V., Zheer A. (2003), Introduction to the special issue on trust in an organizational context, "Organization Science", Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 1-4.
- Milgrom P., Roberts J. (1992), Economics, Organization and Management, Upper Saddle, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Miller D., Le Breton-Miller I. (2005), Managing for the Long Run: Lessons in Competitive Advantage from Great Family Businesses, Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Mustakallio M.E. (2002), Contractual and Relational Governance in Family Firms: Effects on Strategic Decision-Making Quality and Firm Performance, Helsinki University of Technology: Institute of Strategy and International Business, Doctoral Dissertations 2002/2.
- Mustakallio M.E., Autio E., Zahra S.A. (2002), Relational and contractual governance in family firms: Effects on strategic decision making, "Family Business Review", Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 205-222.
- Nahapiet J., Ghoshal S. (1998), Social capital, intellectual capital and the organizational advantage, "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 242-266.
- Ouchi W.G. (1980), Markets, bureaucracies, and clans, "Administrative Science Quarterly', Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 129-141.
- Pearson A.W., Carr J.C., Shaw J.C. (2008), Toward a theory of familiness: A social capital perspective, "Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice", Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 949-969.
- Phillips R., Freeman R.E., Wicks A.C. (2003), What stakeholder theory is not, "Business Ethics Quarterly", Vol. 13, Issue 4, pp. 479-502.
- Podsakoff P.M., MacKenzie S.B., Paine J.B., Bachrach D.G. (2000), Organizational citizenship behaviors: A critical review of the theoretical and empirical literature and suggestions for future research, "Journal of Management", June, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 513-563.
- Rousseau D.M., Schalk R. (2000), Psychological Contracts in Employment: Cross-National Perspectives, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Shleifer A., Vishny R.W. (1997), A survey of corporate governance, "Journal of Finance", June, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 737-783.
- Sirmon D.G., Hitt M.A. (2003), Managing resources: Linking unique resources, management, and wealth creation in family firms, "Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice", Vol. 27, No. 4 (June), pp. 339-358.
- Süss J., Berent-Braun M.M., Uhlaner L.M. (2015), The role of family governance practices and bonding ownership social capital for predicting the commitment to growing family wealth, Family Enterprise Research Conference (FERC), University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, June 4-7.
- Uhlaner L.M. (2008), The role of ownership in governance: A neglected focus in entrepreneurship and management research, Inaugural Lecture, Breukelen: Nyenrode Business University.
- Uhlaner L.M. (2006a), Responsible Ownership of the Family Enterprise: How to Enhance the Success of Business and Family, Lausanne: FBN International, EFBI, JP Morgan.
- Uhlaner L.M. (2006b), Business family as team: Underlying force for sustained competitive advantage [in: P. Poutziouris, K.X. Smyrnios & S. Klein (Eds.), Handbook of research on family business, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 125-144.
- Uhlaner L.M., Berent M.M. (2007), What is responsible ownership and does it matter? An Empirical study, Theories of the Family Enterprise Academic Conference (TFEC), May 16-18, 2007, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, USA.
- Uhlaner L.M., Berent-Braun M.M., Flören R. (2015b)‚ The influence of ownership social capital on the performance of privately-held firms: A lagged effect, Family Enterprise Research Conference (FERC), University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, June 4-7.
- Uhlaner L.M., Flören R., Geerlings J.R. (2007), Ownership commitment and relational governance in the privately-held firm: An empirical study, "Small Business Economics Journal", Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 275-293.
- Uhlaner L.M., Matser I., Berent-Braun M.M, Flören R.H. (2015a), Linking bonding and bridging ownership social capital in private firms: Moderating effects of ownership-management overlap and family firm identity, "Family Business Review", Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 260-277.
- Uhlaner L.M., Pavluchenkova V., Berent-Braun M.M., Flören R.H. (2012), How to be an effective owner? Responsible ownership and financial performance in family and non-family firms, RENT XXVI 2012, EM Lyon, Lyon, France, November 21-23.
- Uhlaner L.M., Van Goor-Balk H.J.M., Masurel E. (2004), Family business and corporate social responsibility in a sample of Dutch firms, "Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development', Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 186-194.
- Vilaseca A. (2002), The shareholder role in the family business: Conflict of interests and objectives between non-employed shareholders and top management team, "Family Business Review", Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 299-320.
- Voegtlin C. (2015), What does it mean to be responsible? Addressing the missing responsibility dimension in ethical leadership research, Leadership, Published online before print April 2, 2015, doi: 10.1177/1742715015578936.
- Westhead P., Howorth C. (2006), Ownership and management issues associated with family firm performance and company objectives, "Family Business Review", Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 301-316.
- Weiss J.W. (2009), Business Ethics: A Stakeholder & Issues Management Approach, Australia: Southwestern Cengage-Learning.
- Williams R.O. (1992), Successful ownership in family businesses, "Family Business Review", Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 161-172.