The Effectiveness of Discriminant Models Based on the Example of the Manufacturing Sector
The best models of bankruptcy prediction have been selected that can indicate the deteriorating situation of a company several years before bankruptcy occurs. There are a lot of methods for evaluating the financial statements of enterprises, but only a few can assess a company as a whole and recognize sufficiently early the deteriorating financial standing of a business. The matrix method was used to classify companies in order to assess the models. The correctness of the classification made by the models was tested based on data covering a period of five years before the bankruptcy of enterprises. To analyse the effectiveness of these discriminant models, the financial reports of manufacturing companies were used. Analysis of 33 models of bankruptcy prediction shows that only 5 models were characterized by sufficient predictive ability in the five years before the bankruptcy of enterprises. The results obtained show that so far a unique, accurate, optimal model, by which companies could be assessed with very high efficiency, has not been identified. That is why it is vital to continue research related to the construction of models enabling accurate evaluation of the financial condition of businesses. (original abstract)
-  ADAMOWICZ K., NOGA T., Assessment applicability of selected models of multiple discriminant analyses to forecast financial situation of Polish wood sector enterprises, Folia Forest. Polon., 2017, 59 (1), 59-67.
-  ALAREENI B.A., BRANSON J., Predicting listed companies' failure in Jordan using Altman models. A case study, Int. J. Bus. Manage., 2012, 8 (1), 117-126.
-  ALMAMY J., ASTON J., NGWA L.N., An evaluation of Altman's Z-score using cash flow ratio to predict corporate failure amid the recent financial crisis, Evidence from the UK, J. Corp. Fin., 2016, 36, 278-285.
-  ALTMAN E.I., Financial ratios, discriminant analysis and the prediction of corporate bankruptcy, J. Fin., 1968, 23, 589-609.
-  ALTMAN E.I., Corporate financial distress and bankruptcy, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York 1993.
-  ALTMAN E.I., Predicting Financial Distress of Companies: Revisiting the Z-Score and ZETA® Models, Retrieved from http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~ealtman/Zscores.pdf (05.01.2013).
-  ALTMAN E.I., The expert says, Stockwatch, 2014, 1, 2 (in Polish).
-  ALTMAN E.I., IWANICZ-DROZDOWSKA M., LAITINEN E.K., SUVAS A., Financial Distress Prediction in an International Context: A Review and Empirical Analysis of Altman's Z-Score Model, J. Int. Fin. Manage. Acc., 2017, 28, 131-171.
-  ALTMAN E.I., HALDEMAN R.G., NARAYANAN P., ZETA analysis. A new model to identify bankruptcy risk of corporations, J. Bank. Fin., 1977, 1 (1), 29-54.
-  ALTMAN E.I., HO EOM Y., WON KIM D., Failure prediction. Evidence from Korea, J. Int. Fin. Manage. Acc., 1995, 6 (3), 230-249.
-  ALTMAN E.I., LORIS B., A financial early warning system for over-the-counter broker dealers, J. Fin., 1976, 31 (4), 1201-1217.
-  ALTMAN E.I., MARCO G., VARETTO F., Corporate distress diagnosis. Comparisons using linear discriminant analysis and neural networks (the Italian experience), J. Bank. Fin., 1994, 18, 505-529.
-  ALTMAN E.I., MARGAINE M., SCHLOSSER M., VERNIMMEA P., Financial and statistical analysis for commercial loan evaluation. A French experience, J. Fin. Quant. Anal., 1974, 9 (2), 195-211.
-  HADASIK D., Bankruptcy of enterprises in Poland and methods of prediction, Ser. 2, 153 AE, Poznań 1998 (in Polish).
-  APPENZELLER D., SZARZEC K., Forecasting the risk of bankruptcy of Polish public companies, Rynek Term., 2004, 1, 120-128 (in Polish).
-  APPETITI A., Identifying unsound firms in Italy. An attempt to use trend variables, J. Bank. Fin., 1984, 8 (2), 269-279.
-  BALINA R., The effectiveness of selected bankruptcy predicting models on the example of the construction sector, Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego, Finanse, Rynki Finansowe, Ubezpieczenia, 2012, 50, 231-238 (in Polish).
-  BARDOS M., Detecting the risk of company failure at the Banque de France, J. Bank. Fin., 1998, 22, 1405-1419.
-  BEGLEY J., MING J., WATTS S., Bankruptcy classification errors in the 1980s: an empirical analysis of Altman's and Ohlson's models, Rev. Acc. Studies, 1996, 1, 267-284.
-  BERZKALNE I., ZELGALVE E., Bankruptcy prediction models. A comparative study of the Baltic listed companies, J. Bus. Manage., 2013, 72-82.
-  BLUM M., Failing company discriminant analysis, J. Acc. Res., 1974, 12 (1), 1-25.
-  CHANG P.C., AFIFI A.A., Classification based on dichotomous and continuous variables, J. Amer. Stat. Assoc., 1974, 69 (346), 336-339.
-  RYBÁROVÁ D., BRAUNOVÁ M., JANTOŠOVÁ L., Analysis of the construction industry in the Slovak Republic by bankruptcy model, Proc. Soc. Behav. Sci., 2016, 230, 298-306.
-  DĄBROWSKI B.J., BORATYŃSKA K., Using discriminant analysis models for insolvency predictions based on the case of stock market index WIG - Spożywczy (foodstuff) companies, Sci. J. Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW Economics and Organization of Agri-Food Sector, 2011, 89, 163-174 (in Polish).
-  DEAKIN E., A discriminant analysis of predictors of business failure, J. Acc. Res., 1972, 10 (1), 167-179.
-  DEAKIN E., Business failure prediction. An empirical analysis, [in:] E.I. Altman, A.W. Sametz (Eds.), Financial crises. Institutions and markets in a fragile environment, Wiley, New York 1977, 72-98.
-  DEC P., Dilemmas in the review and selection of models for predicting the bankruptcy of enterprises, VIII Congress of Polish Economists, Warsaw 29-30.11.2007, 383-391 (in Polish).
-  DIAKOMIHALIS M.N., The accuracy of Altman's models in predicting hotel bankruptcy, Int. J. Acc. Fin. Rep., 2012, 2 (2), 96-113.
-  DINCA G., BOCIU M., Using discriminant analysis for credit decision, Bull. Transylvania University of Brasov, Economic Sciences, 2015, 8 (2), 277.
-  DOLEJŠOVÁ M., Is it worth comparing different bankruptcy models?, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 2015, 63 (2), 525-531.
-  DOMINIAK P., MAZURKIEWICZ M., Analysis of the risk of company's bankruptcy in Polish food and beverage production sector using the Cox regression, Oper. Res. Dec., 2011, 21 (1), 19-31.
-  DRUZIN R., About possibility of usage methodological approaches to bankruptcy prediction, Stud. Sci. Res., Econ. Ed., 2013, 18, 177-181.
-  DZYUMA-ZAREMBA U., Gant Development SA - the effectiveness of bankruptcy prediction models in case of sudden bankruptcy. Case study, e-Finanse, 2015, 11(3), 45-57.
-  EDMISTER R., An empirical test of financial ratio analysis for small business failure reduction, J. Fin. Quant. Anal., 1972, 7 (2), 1477-1493.
-  EL HENNAWY R., MORRIS R., The significance of base year in developing failure prediction models, J. Bus. Fin. Acc., 1983, 10 (2), 209-223.
-  FOSTER G., Financial Statement Analysis, 2nd Ed., Prentice-Hall, New Jersey 1986.
-  FULMER J., MOON J., GAVIN T., ERWIN J., A bankruptcy classification model for small firms, J. Com. Bank Lend., 1984, 66 (11), 25-37.
-  GAJDKA J., STOS D., The use of discriminant analysis to examine the suitability of a company for bankruptcy, [in:] J. Duraj (Ed.), Company on the capital market, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Łódzkiego, Łódź 1996, 138-148 (in Polish).
-  GAJDKA J., STOS D., The use of discriminant analysis in the assessment of the financial condition of enterprises, [in:] R. Borowiecki (Ed.), Restructuring in the process of transformation and development of enterprises, Wydawnictwo Akademii Ekonomicznej w Krakowie, Cracow 1996, 138-148 (in Polish).
-  GAJDKA J., STOS D., Assessment of the financial condition of Polish public companies in the period 1998-2001, [in:] D. Zarzecki (Ed.), Time for money, financial management. Measuring results and business valuations, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego, Szczecin 2003, 150-162 (in Polish).
-  GODLEWSKA S., The effectiveness of Polish bankruptcy prediction models in identifying the threat of insolvency to corporate enterprises, Ann. Universitatis Mariae Curie-Skłodowska, Sect. H. Oeconomia, 2010, 14, 701-714 (in Polish).
-  GOŁĘBIEWSKI G., ŻYWNO K., The effectiveness of discriminant analysis models. Study based on selected Polish companies quoted on the Warsaw Stock Exchange, Cont. Econ., 2008, 7, 31-45 (in Polish).
-  GOUDIE A., MEEKS G., The exchange rate and company failure in a macro-micro model of the UK company sector, Econ. J., 1991, 101 (406), 444-457.
-  GRICE J.S., INGRAM R.W., Tests of the generalizability of Altman's bankruptcy prediction model, J. Bus. Res., 2001, 54, 53-61.
-  HAMROL M., CHODAKOWSKI J., Forecasting the financial threat. Predictive value of Polish models of discrimination analysis, Oper. Res. Dec., 2008, 3, 17-32 (in Polish).
-  HAMROL M., CZAJKA B., PIECHOCKI M., The bankruptcy of a company - discriminant model, Org. Rev., 2004, 6, 34-38.
-  HO C.-Y., MCCARTHY P., YANG Y., YE X., Bankruptcy in the pulp and paper industry. Market's reaction and prediction, Emp. Econ., 2013, 45, 1205-1232.
-  HOŁDA A., Prediction of the bankruptcy of a company in the Polish economy using a discriminant function Zh, Rachunkowość, 2001, 5, 306-310 (in Polish).
-  HUO Y.H., Bankruptcy situation model in small business. The case of restaurant firms, Hosp. Rev., 2006, 24, 49-58.
-  JANEK J., ŻUCHOWSKI M., Discriminant analysis and its applications in economics, Faculty of Mathematics and Information Science, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw 2000 (in Polish).
-  JUSZCZYK S., BALINA R., Prediction of insolvency in shipping enterprises as a banking decision tool, Scientific Journal of Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW, Economics and Organization of Agri-Food Sector, 2009, 78, 161-174 (in Polish).
-  JUSZCZYK S., BALINA R., Predicting the threat of bankruptcy to enterprises of some selected branches, Economist, 2014, 1, 67-96 (in Polish).
-  KARELS G.V., PRAKASH A.J., Multivariate normality and forecasting of business bankruptcy, J. Bus. Fin. Acc., 1987, 4 (4), 573-593.
-  KETZ J.K., The effect of general price-level adjustments on the predictive ability of financial ratios, J. Acc. Res., 1978, 273-284.
-  KISIELIŃSKA J., The effectiveness of corporate bankruptcy models, Econ. Reg. Studies, 2016, 9 (1), 5-17.
-  KISIELIŃSKA J., WASZKOWSKI A., Polish models to predict bankruptcy and their verification, Scientific Journal of Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW Economics and Organization of Agri-Food Sector, 2010, 82, 17-32 (in Polish).
-  KO C.J., A delineation of corporate appraisal models and classification of bankruptcy firms in Japan, Thesis, New York University, New York 1982.
-  KOH H., KILLOUGH L., The use of multiple discriminant analysis in the assessment of the going-concern status of an audit client, J. Bus. Fin. Acc., 1990, 17 (2), 179-192.
-  KOPCZYŃSKI P., Bankruptcy forecasting methods used by Polish enterprises, Theor. J. Acc., 2016, 89 (145), 95-132 (in Polish).
-  KWAK W., SHI Y., KOU G., Bankruptcy prediction for Korean firms after the 1997 financial crisis: using a multiple criteria linear programming data mining approach, Rev. Quant. Fin. Acc., 2012, 38, 441-453.
-  LAITINEN E., Financial ratios and different failure processes, J. Bus. Fin. Acc., 1991, 18 (5), 649-673.
-  LEGAULT J.C.A., SCORE A., Warning system for small business failures, Bilanas, June 1987.
-  LI J., Prediction of corporate bankruptcy from 2008 through 2011, J. Acc., Fin., 2012, 12 (1), 31-41.
-  LIBBY R., Accounting ratios and the prediction of failure. Some behavioral evidence, J. Acc., Res., 1975, 13 (1), 150-161.
-  LIFSCHUTZ S., Predicting bankruptcy. Evidence from Israel, Int. J. Bus. Manage., 2010, 5 (4), 133.
-  MĄCZYŃSKA E., Assessment of a company's condition, Życie Gosp., 1994, 38, 42-43 (in Polish).
-  MĄCZYŃSKA E., ZAWADZKI M., Models of discriminant analysis in the prediction of corporate insolvency, Ekonomista, 2006, 2, 205-234 (in Polish).
-  MEYER P., PIFER H., Prediction of bank failures, J. Fin., 1970, 25 (4), 853-868.
-  MICHA B., Analysis of business failures in France, J. Bank. Fin., 1984, 8, (2), 281-291.
-  MOSES D., LIAO S.S., On developing models for failure prediction, J. Comm. Bank Lend., 1987, 69, 27-38.
-  MOSIONEK-SCHWEDA M., The use of discriminant analysis to predict the bankruptcy of companies listed on the NewConnect market. Equilibrium, Quart. J. Econ. Econ. Pol., 2014, 9, 87-105.
-  PACEY J.W., PHAM T.M., The predictiveness of bankruptcy models. Methodological problems and evidence, Austr. J. Manage., 1990, 15 (2), 315-337.
-  PEEL M., Timeliness of private company accounts and predicting corporate failure, Inv. Anal., 1987, 83, 23-27.
-  PETTWAY R., SINKEY Jr. J., Establishing on-site banking examination priorities: An early warning system using accounting and market information, J. Fin., 1980, 35 (1), 137-150.
-  PIEŃKOWSKA M., The prediction of crises, Nowe Życie Gosp., 2004, 13, 4-7 (in Polish).
-  PIEŃKOWSKA M., Verification of the effectiveness of discriminant functions developed for the Polish market, [in:] K. Kuciński, E. Mączyńska (Eds.), Risk of bankruptcy, SGH, Warsaw 2005, 147-154 (in Polish).
-  POGODZIŃSKA M., SOJAK S., The use of discriminant analysis in predicting corporate bankruptcy, Acta Universitatis Nicolae Copernici, 1995, Ekonomia, 25, 299, 53-62 (in Polish).
-  PRUSAK B., Methods used in the comparative analysis of corporate bankruptcy prediction models. Retrieved from http://www.zie.pg.gda.pl/~pb/ap.pdf. (20.01.2010) (in Polish).
-  PRUSAK B., Modern methods for predicting the financial threat to companies, Wydawnictwo Difin, Warsaw 2005 (in Polish).
-  ROGOWSKI W., DULEBA K., The possibility of using bankruptcy models in practice by auditors, [in:] A. Adamska, E. Mączyńska (Eds.), Bankruptcy and business repairs. Selected issues, Wydawnictwo SGH, Warsaw 2013, 165-179 (in Polish).
-  RUSEK O., Usefulness of discriminatory models in the management of a company, Scientific Journal of Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW Economics and Organization of Agri-Food Sector, 2010, 85, 43-58 (in Polish).
-  SINGH B.P., MISHRA A.K., Re-estimation and comparisons of alternative accounting based bankruptcy prediction models for Indian companies, Fin. Inn., 2016, 2 (1), 6, 1-28.
-  SINKEY J. Jr., A multivariate statistical analysis of the characteristics of problem banks, J. Fin., 1975, 30 (1), 21-36.
-  SOBUHORO A., STEFAŃSKI A., A model of bankruptcy prediction adapted to risk assessment by banks, [in:] J. Duraj (Ed.), Business value - theory and practice, Novum, 6, Płock 2006, 225-246 (in Polish).
-  SOŁOMA A., PLESIEWICZ J., Application of multivariate discriminant models of bankruptcy to meat industry enterprises, Scientific Journal of Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW Economics and Organization of Agri-Food Sector, 2011, 90, 155-169 (in Polish).
-  SPRINGATE G.L.V., Predicting the possibility of failure in a Canadian firm, unpublished M.B.A. research project, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 1978.
-  STEFAŃSKI G., The risk of bankruptcy to stock-market listed banks in Poland, Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego, Finanse, Rynki Finansowe, Ubezpieczenia, 2011, 37, 131-140 (in Polish).
-  TAFFLER R.J., The assessment of company solvency and performance using a statistical model, Acc., Bus. Res., 1983, 15, 295-308.
-  TALEBNIA G., KARMOZI F., RAHIMI S., Evaluating and comparing the ability to predict the bankruptcy prediction models of Zavgren and Springate in companies accepted in Tehran Stock Exchange, Mark. Brand. Res., 2016, 3, 137-143.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., The stability of the financial indicators over time, [in:] Z. Wilimowska, L. Borzemski, J. Świątek (Eds.), Information Systems Architecture and Technology, Proc. 38th International Conference on Information Systems Architecture and Technology, ISAT 2017, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Springer, 2017, 657, 98-107.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., The early warning system, J. Manage. Fin. Sci., 2014, 16, 51-74.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., Evaluation of the financial condition of a corporation using the concept of sustainability, [in:] I.K. Hejduk (Ed.), The concept of sustainability - the challenge of modern management, Wydawnictwo SGH, Warsaw 2014, 235-252 (in Polish).
-  TOMCZAK S.K., Comparative analysis of liquidity ratios of bankrupt manufacturing companies, Bus. Econ. Horizons, 2014, 10(3), 151-164.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., Comparative analysis of the bankrupt companies of the sector of animal slaughtering and processing. Equilibrium, Quart. J. Econ. Econ. Pol., 2014, 9 (3), 59-86.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., PRZYBYSŁAWSKI B., GÓRSKI A., Comparative analysis of the bankruptcy prediction models. Information systems architecture and technology, [in:] Z. Wilimowska (Ed.), The use of IT models for organization management, Wydawnictwo Politechniki Wrocławskiej, Wrocław 2012, 157-166.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., The influence of economic crisis on the public transportation sector's financial situation, Scientific Journal of Warsaw University of Life Sciences - SGGW Economics and Organization of Agri-Food Sector, 2010, 82, 91-101.
-  TOMCZAK S.K., Integrated financial analysis based on the example of a public transport company, Man - Civilization - Future, The 7th Student Scientific Conference, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Wrocław 2009, 161-166 (in Polish).
-  TYMOCZUK M., The effectiveness of bankruptcy models for enterprises and the passage of time. A comparison of popular Polish multivariate models of discriminant analysis with a model built by the author, [in:] A. Adamska, E. Mączyńska (Eds.), Bankruptcy and business repairs. Selected issues, Wydawnictwo SGH, Warsaw 2013, 193-210 (in Polish).
-  VIJAY P., YADAV C.S., Predicting bankruptcy: an empirical study using multiple discriminant analysis models, Pezz. J., 2015, 4 (1), 1588-1595.
-  WANG Y., CAMPBELL M., Business failure prediction for publicly listed companies in China, J. Bus. Manage., 2010, 16, 75-88.
-  WANG Y., CAMPBELL M., Do bankruptcy models really have predictive ability? Evidence using China publicly listed companies, Int. Manage. Rev., 2010, 6, 77-82.
-  WEINRICH G., Kreditwurdingkeitprognosen. Steuerung des Kreditgeschafts durch Risiko Klasen, Schriftenreihedes Instituts für Kredit und Finanzwirtschaft, J. Suchting (Ed.), Part 6, Wiesbaden 1978.
-  WIERZBA D., Early detection of the bankruptcy of companies on the basis of financial indicators. Theory and empirical research, Zesz. Naukowe Wyższej Szkoły Ekonomiczno-Informatycznej w Warszawie, 2000, 9, 79-104 (in Polish).
-  WIŚNIEWSKA D., Discriminant analysis in predicting stock prices and indices. Retrieved from www.nbp.pl/badania/seminaria_files/13ix2011a.pdf. 20.01.2012 (in Polish).
-  WRZOSEK M., ZIEMBA A., Construction of a rating based on a bankruptcy prediction model, StatConsulting, Sp. z o.o., 1-19.
-  WYSOCKI F., KOZERA A., Use of discriminant analysis in estimating the risk of bankruptcy to meat industry enterprises, J. Agribus. Rural Dev., 2012, 4, 167-182 (in Polish).
-  XU M., ZHANG C., Bankruptcy prediction. The case of Japanese listed companies, Rev. Acc. Stud., 2009, 14, 534-558.
-  ZHANG L., ALTMAN E.I., YEN J., Corporate financial distress diagnosis model and application in credit rating for listing firms in China, Front. Comp. Sci. China, 2010, 4 (2), 220-236.
-  ZHAO H., SINHA A.P., GE W., Effects of feature construction on classification performance. An empirical study in bank failure prediction, Expert Syst. Appl., 2009, 36, 2633-2644.
-  ZIĘBA M., TOMCZAK S.K., TOMCZAK J.M., Ensemble boosted trees with synthetic features generation in application to bankruptcy prediction, Exp. Syst. Appl., 2016, 58, 93-101.