The Impact of Designating Limited Use Areas on the Situation of Airports In Poland - Whether They Create an Opportunity for Conducting Corporate Social Responsibility
A limited use area (LUA) is a legally designated area which is affected by the adjoining facility or other similar structure, e.g. water treatment plant, municipal landfill, communication route, power line/substation, airport. Different kinds of sources causing the limited use of the property have impact either on air quality, noise or generation of electromagnetic fields. According to the law, the permitted emission standards can be exceeded in a LUA. The owner of real property situated in such area may request the purchase of property, compensation for the reduction of the real property value caused by restrictions on use and limitations on expansion of such property, or a claim for the improvement of acoustic comfort. The paper presents the essence of designating limited use areas around airports, analysis of the existing legal framework on the LUA, and an overview of experiences and solutions adopted in selected Polish airports in this regard. The article presents information on how LUAs are designated and on the related prohibitions and restrictions. It also discusses the possible claims and approaches of particular airports towards various types of compensation. The aim of the article is to present opportunities for conducting the corporate social responsibility policy at airports as a result of introduction of limited use areas. It also attempts to assess the good as well as troublesome legal solutions from the point of view of management of Polish airports. When developing this paper, analyzes of the existing legal provisions on LUA designation, internal materials and documents provided by airports, as well as information available on the websites of examined entities were used. A valuable source was also information gathered in the course of in-depth interviews conducted with employees responsible for the management of processes related to the LUA.(original abstract)
- Act on Providing Information on the Environment and Environmental Protection, Public Participation in Environmental Protection and on Environmental Impact of 3 October 2008 (consolidated text) (Journal of Laws of 2016, item 353).
- Annex No. 1 to Resolution (2016), Annex No. 1 to Resolution No. 203/XVIII/16 of the Pomeranian Provincial Assembly of 29 February.
- Gdansk Lech Walesa Airport (2017a), Nowy terminal pasażerski T2. Available from http://www. airport.gdansk.pl/airport/investments/new-terminal-t2 [Accessed 22 February 2017].
- Gdansk Lech Walesa Airport (2017b), Obszar ograniczonego użytkowania. Available from http:// www.airport.gdansk.pl/airport/environmental-protection/confined-area [Accessed 21 February 2017].
- Grounds for Resolution (2016), Grounds for Resolution No. 203/XVIII/16 of the Pomeranian Provincial Assembly of 29 February 2016 to designate a limited use area around the Lech Walesa Airport in Gdańsk.
- Netka, K. (2015), "Wokół lotniska będą obszary ograniczonego użytkowania", Dziennik Bałtycki, 6.08.2015. Available from http://www.dziennikbaltycki.pl/strefa-biznesu/wiadomosci/ z-regionu/a/wokol-lotniska-beda-obszary-ograniczonego-uzytkowania,10176200J [Accessed 21 February 2017].
- Pawłowska, J., Behnke, M. (2013), Analiza benchmarkingowa - dotycząca zarządzania procesem tworzenia obszaru ograniczonego użytkowania (OOU) wokół portów lotniczych oraz rozstrzygania roszczeń zgłoszonych w następstwie utworzenia tego obszaru - rekomendacje dla Portu Lotniczego im. Lecha Wałęsy w Gdańsku wynikające z doświadczeń wybranych, polskich portów lotniczych, Sopot.
- Podręcznik dobrych praktyk (2015), Port Lotniczy Gdańsk Sp. z o.o., Gdańsk.
- Resolution (2016), Resolution No. 203/XVIII/16 of the Pomeranian Provincial Assembly of 29 February to designate a limited use area around the Lecha Walesa Airport in Gdańsk.
- The Environmental Law of 27 April 2001 (Journal of Laws of 2008 No. 25, item 150 as amended).
- Urbaniak, J. (2016), Gdańsk: obszar ograniczonego użytkowania wokół lotniska. Available from www.rynekinfrastruktury.pl [Accessed 21 February 2017].
- Websites and interviews at selected airports.