Peacekeeping in the Mediterranean as an Ongoing Challenge for International Organizations: the EU Case
The Southern Mediterranean has always been a problematic region for the international community. After many years of instability in the Middle East and an ongoing impasse in relations between Israel and Palestinians, there came the question of the "Arab Spring" which emerged in 2011. The paper examines peacekeeping (operations) in the Middle East and North Africa. The main goal is to analyze the complexity of the threats and challenges emerging from the Mediterranean region, as well as the institutional framework for peacekeeping operations, with a focus on EU involvement in the Mediterranean. The article attempts to answer the question of whether a regional organization such as the EU has effective instruments to improve security in its southern neighbourhood.(original abstract)
- Arcidiacono F., EU Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) Libya: Testing EU Actorness, "ReShape Online Papers Series", Paper no. 03/13, Jean Monnet Centre, Department of Political and Social Sciences, University of Catania, Italy.
- Attina F., Global power competition and the rise of minilateralism in peace operations, in: Multilateral security and ESDP operations, eds. F. Attina, D. Irrera, Ashgate, Fornham/Burlington 2010.
- Blank S., The Mediterranean and Its Security Agenda, "Mediterranean Quarterly", Vol. 11, No. 1 (Winter 2000).
- Blockmans S., The EU's external action towards the Middle East: Resolution required, "CEPS Commentary", 7 January 2013, Brussels, p. 3, https:// www.ceps.eu/publications/eu's-external-action-towards-middle-eastresolution- required (access 2.11.2016).
- Cameron F., An introduction to European Foreign Policy. Second edition, Routledge, London/New York 2012.
- Dosenrode S., Stubkjaer A., The European Union and the Middle East, London, New York 2002.
- Doyle M.W., Discovering the limits and potential of peacekeeping, in: Peacemaking and peacekeeping for the new century, eds. O.A. Otunnu, M.W. Doyle, Rowman & Littlefi eld Publishers, Inc., Lanham/New York/ Boulder/Oxford 1998.
- Dzisiow-Szuszczykiewicz A., "Arabska wiosna - przyczyny, przebieg i prognozy", "Bezpieczeństwo Narodowe", nr II/18/2001.
- Emerson M., Making sense of Sarkozy's Union for the Mediterranean, "CEPS Policy Brief ", No. 155, March 2008.
- Emmanouilidis J.A., Europe's role in the Twenty-first Century, in: The European Union and Emerging Powers in the 21st Century. How Europe can shape a new global order, eds. T. Renard, S. Biscop, Ashgate, Farnham/ Burlington 2012.
- Gomez A., Was Eurfor Libya an April fool's joke?, https://euobserver.com/ opinion/32624 (access 2.11.2016)
- Graeger N., Novosseloff A., The role of the OSCE and the EU, in: The United Nations & Regional Security. Europe and Beyond, eds. M. Pugh, W.P. Singh Sidhu, Lynne Rienner Publishers, Boulder/London 2003.
- Hatzigeorgopoulos M., Fara-Andrianarijaona L., EUBAM Libya: Story of a long-awaited CSDP mission, "European Security Review", No. 66, May 2013.
- Kaya T.O, The Middle East peace process and the EU. Foreign Policy and Security Strategy in International Politics, I.B. TAURIS, London/New York 2012.
- Marcinkowska P., Europejska Polityka Sąsiedztwa. Unia Europejska i jej sąsiedzi - wzajemne relacje i wyzwania, Wydawnictwa Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego, Warszawa 2011.
- Norheim-Martinsen P.M., The European Union and military force. Governance and Strategy, Cambridge University Press 2013.
- Novosseloff A., United Nations - European Union. Cooperation in the field of peacekeeping. Challenges and prospects, GGI Analysis Paper No. 4/2012, The Global Governance Institute, Brussels, June 2012.
- Pawlak P., From protecting to rebuilding: the EU's role in Libya, in: Preventing conflict, managing crisis. European and American perspectives, eds. E. Gross, D. Hamilton, C. Major, H. Riecke, Center for Transatlantic relations, Washington D.C. 2011.
- Pijpers A., Western crisis response and the question of Palestine, in: Preventing conflict, managing crisis. European and American perspectives, eds. E. Gross, D. Hamilton, C. Major, H. Riecke, Center for Transatlantic Relations, Washington D.C. 2011.
- Saikal A., The United Nations and the Middle East, in: Democratization in the Middle East: Experiences, struggles, challenges, eds. A. Saikal, A. Schnabel, United Nations University Press, Tokyo/New York/Paris 2003.
- Sola N.F., Reasons for the current failure of the European Union as an International Security Actor, in: Global Power Europe - vol. 1. Theoretical and Institutional Approaches to the EU's External Relations, Springer, Heidelberg 2013.
- Tardy T., Building peace in post-conflict environments. Why and how the UN and the EU interact, in: The EU, the UN and collective security. Making multilateralism effective, eds. J. Krause, N. Ronzitti, Routledge, London & New York 2012.
- Tocci N., Voltolini B., Europe, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. A story of concentric circles, in: European Foreign Policies. Does Europe still matter?, eds. R. Tiersky, J. van Oudenaren, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., Lanham/Plymouth 2012.