Market Pressure on Currencies in Crises. Shadow Exchange Rate Experience of Argentina and Switzerland 2011-2015
Aim/purpose - The aim of this article is to present two cases of exchange rate controls in Switzerland and Argentina. The paper also examines the problem of presence and evaluation of shadow exchange rate in both countries. Design/methodology/approach - The shadow exchange rates are estimated using speculative pressure index concept that emphasizes the importance of not only exchange rate movements but also changes in foreign exchange reserves as well as interest rate differentials. The research sample covers Switzerland 2001-2016 and Argentina 2006-2016 (for shadow exchange rate simulation: 2011-2014 and 2011-2015, respectively). Findings - The conclusions drawn from international experience and conducted empirical analysis are positive. In both cases, shadow exchange rates were close to market rates after the removal of controls. During the restrictions periods shadow rates followed the intuition given by speculative pressure index concept (and by monetary approach, simultaneously). Research implications/limitations - The research suggests that market forces in both countries were still able to restore exchange rates to market values after the period of control. However, it is obvious that it is very difficult to prove that shadow rates were always determined by economical forces and close to their long-term equilibrium values. Originality/value/contribution - The original approach combines two important economic concepts - the idea of shadow exchange rate and the methodology of index of speculative pressure. Combined together they can help to analyze two interesting and relatively new cases of foreign exchange controls in Switzerland and Argentina. The results can be valuable for economists, researchers and politicians who support or reject the idea of controlling macroeconomic parameters in modern, open economy.(original abstract)
- Balassa B. (1974): Estimating price of foreign exchange in project appraisal. "Oxford Economic Papers", Vol. 26(2), pp. 147-168.
- BIS (2007): Triennial central bank survey of foreign exchange and derivatives market activity in April 2007. Bank for International Settlements, Basel.
- Dornbusch R. (1976): Expectations and exchange rate dynamics. "The Journal of Political Economy", Vol. 84(6), pp. 1161-1176.
- Ege I., Bayrakdaroglu A. (2010): Financial crises and pressure indices: Case of Turkey. "International Journal Of Economics And Finance Studies", Vol. 2(1), pp. 139-146.
- Eichengreen B., Rose A., Wyplosz C. (1994): Speculative attacks on pegged exchange rates: An empirical exploration with special reference to the European Monetary System. NBER Working Paper 4898, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA.
- Flood R., Garber P. (1984): Collapsing exchange-rate regimes. Some linear examples. "Journal of International Economics", Vol. 17(1-2), pp. 1-13.
- Flood R., Marion P. (1998): Perspectives on the recent currency crisis literature. IMF Working Paper 98, International Monetary Fund, Washington. DC.
- Frankel J. (1993): On exchange rates. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- IMF IFS (2017): International financial statistics. International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC.
- Krugman P. (1979): A model of balance-of-payments crises. "Journal of Money, Credit and Banking", Vol. 11(3), pp. 311-325.
- Piersanti G. (2012): The macroeconomic theory of exchange rate crises. Oxford University Press.
- Tsakok I. (1990): Agricultural price policy: A practitioner's guide to partial-equilibrium analysis. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NJ.
- Zurbrügg F. (2012): Challenges posed by the growth in the SNB's foreign exchange reserves. Swiss National Bank, www.snb.ch/en/mmr/reference/pre_20110906 /source/pre_20110906.en.pdf (access: 12.05.2017).
- [www 1] http://opinion.infobae.com/dario-epstein/2015/11/12/cinco-graficos-que-preoc upan-a-los-inversores/ (access: 12.05.2017).
- [www 2] http://soberlook.com/2014/08/argentinas-blue-dollar-market-hits-60.html (access: 12.05.2017).
- [www 3] www.bcra.gob.ar/Pdfs/Institucional/CartaOrganica2012_i.pdf (access: 12.05.2017).
- [www 4] data.imf.org (access: 12.05.2017). [www 5] https://data.snb.ch/(access: 12.05.2017).
- [www 6] www.snb.ch/en/mmr/reference/pre_20150115/source/pre_20150115.en.pdf (access: 12.05.2017).