Visualisation of the Results of Sequence Analysis with the Use of Sankey Diagrams, Based on Prevalence Analysis of Selected Medical Problems in the Years 2013-2015 in Poland
Introduction. The goal of the study is to assess the usefulness of Sankey model in the analysis of healthcare phenomena. Material and methods. Sequence analysis and Sankey model generation was based on the data provided to the National Health Fund in the years 2013-2015 for the following diseases defined by the following ICD-10 codes: C50.% - malignant neoplasm of breast; G35 - multiple sclerosis; B18.2, B17.1 - chronic hepatitis C. The reported data concerned all types of services provided by the public payer. Results. The analysis was conducted for: C50.% - 3.26 million data records, for 236.6 thousand patients; G35 - 110 thousand data records, for 23.9 thousand patients; B18.2, B17.1 - 1,1 million data records, for 100 thousand patients. Sequence analysis and the generated Sankey diagrams indicate that paths taken by patients in the health care system are varied and are strictly conditional on the medical problem. Conclusion. Sequence analysis, and in particular the diagram-based visualisation of its results enables the assessment of event sequences and their size (number). The analysis of data obtained from actual clinical practice enables obtaining more credible results which may form the correct basis for decision-making.(original abstract)
- Gürtler LG, Eberle J. Aspects on the history of transmission and favor of distribution of viruses by iatrogenic action: perhaps an example of a paradigm of the worldwide spread of HIV. Med Microbiol Immunol. 2017 Apr 22. doi: 10.1007/s00430-017-0505-2.
- Seo JK, Kwak HR, Kim MK, Kim JS, Choi HS. The complete genome sequence of a novel virus, bellflower veinal mottle virus, suggests the existence of a new genus within the family Potyviridae, Arch Virol. 2017 Apr 22. doi: 10.1007/s00705-017-3374-5.
- Schmidt M. The Sankey Diagram in Energy and Material Flow Management. Journal of Industrial Ecology. 2008; 12(1): 82-94.
- Riehman P, Hanfler M, Froehlich B. Interactive Sankey diagrams. Information Visualization. INFOVIS, IEEE Symposium, 2005.
- Khurana S, Banerjee R. Energy balance and cogeneration for a cement plant. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2002; 22(5): 485-494.
- 27 August 2004 Act on health care services financed from public funds (Dz. U. of 2015, item 581) [Polish].
- 20 June 2008 Regulation of the Minister of Health on the scope of necessary information collected by service providers, detailed method of recording such information and its provision to entities required to finance the services from public funds (Dz.U. of 2016, 192 as amended) [Polish].
- Rollat A, Guyonnet D, Planchon M, Tuduri J. Prospective analysis of the flows of certain rare earths in Europe at the 2020 horizon. Waste Manag. 2016; 49: 427-36.