A Greek Tragedy of Our Time? Institutional and Financial Dimension of Health Promotion for Older People in Greece
Despite the numerous legislative documents and public health institutions in Greece, the country lacks a comprehensive and robust long-term policy perspective in the public health area. The traditionally higher priority attached to curative care than to public health actions, is the major reason of the shortcomings. This country report draws upon several national reports focused on the Greek health system, and other country-specific sources in order to outline the major institutional and financing challenges for health promotion in Greece, and specifically health promotion for older adults. The paper is based on the method of narrative literature review. The findings show that health promotion actions for elderly persons do take place in Greece but mainly in urban areas and/or within the framework of EU-funded projects. Government efforts are required to stimulate coordinated public health interventions at the local level focusing on the positive effects of health promotion. The health promotion programs that are successfully implemented, should receive the necessary government support to assure their long-term sustainability. (original abstract)
- Maastricht University, The Netherlands
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Maastricht University, The Netherlands
- Institute of Labour and Social Studies, Warsaw, Poland
- Jagiellonian University Medical College, Cracow, Poland
- Hatzianastasiou S., Pavli A., Maltezou H.C., Legal aspects of public health: How law frames communicable disease control in Greece, "Journal of Public Health" 2011; 32 (4): 445-457.
- Economou C., Greece: Health system review, "Health Systems in Transition" 2010; 12 (7): 1-180, http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/130729/e94660.pdf?ua=1; accessed: 8.06.2016.
- Greek Ministry of Health, Greece country review. JA-CHRODIS - Good Practice in the Field of Health Promotion and Primary Prevention, 2014, http://www.chrodis.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/JA-CHRODIS_Greece-country-review-in-the-field-of-health-promtion-and-primary-prevention.pdf; accessed: 8.06.2016.
- Tountas Y., Karnaki P., Pavi E., Reforming the reform: the Greek national health system in transition, "Health Policy" 2002; 62 (1): 15-29.
- Sourtzi P., Roka V., Velonaki V., Kalokerinou A., Health Promotion Programs for the Elderly in Greece, the "Health Pro Elderly" Project, "Hygiea Internationalis" 2010; 9 (1): 385-395, http://www.ep.liu.se/ej/hygiea/v9/i1/a18/hygiea10v9i1a18.pdf; accessed: 8.06.2016.
- Sørensen K., Pelikan J.M., Röthlin F., Ganahl K., Slonska Z., Doyle G. et al., Health literacy in Europe: comparative results of the European health literacy survey (HLS-EU), "European Journal of Public Health" 2015; 25 (6): 1053-1058.
- Argyropoulos K., Bartsokas C., Argyropoulou A., Gourzis P., Jelastopulu E., Depressive symptoms in late life in urban and semi-urban areas of South-West Greece: An undetected disorder?, "Indian Journal of Psychiatry" 2015; 57 (3): 295-300.
- Mamplekou E., Bountziouka V., Psaltopoulou T., Zeimbekis A., Tsakoundakis N., Papaerakleous N. et al., Urban environment, physical inactivity and unhealthy dietary habits correlate to depression among elderly living in eastern Mediterranean islands: The MEDIS (MEDiterranean ISlands Elderly) study, "The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging" 2010; 14: 449-455.
- Pappa E., Kontodimopoulos N., Papadopoulos A.A., Tountas Y., Niakas D., Prescribed-drug utilization and polypharmacy in a general population in Greece: association with sociodemographic, health needs, health-services utilization, and lifestyle factors, "European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology" 2011; 67 (2): 185-192.
- Ifanti A.A., Argyriou A.A., Kalofonou F.H., Kalofonos H.P., Financial crisis and austerity measures in Greece: their impact on health promotion policies and public health care, "Health Policy" 2013; 113: 8-12.
- Karanikolos M., Mladovsky P., Cylus J., Thomson S., Basu S., Stuckler D. et al., Financial crisis, austerity, and health in Europe, "Lancet" 2013; 381 (9874): 1323-1331.
- IKA, Clinic of Preventive Medicine for Adult, 2016, https://www.ika.gr/gr/infopages/healthservices/proliptiki.cfm; accessed: 8.06.2016.
- Kryńska E., Szukalski P., Active ageing measures in selected European Union countries. Final report, 2013, http://zielonalinia.gov.pl/upload/50plus/Raport-koncowy/Raport-koncowy-50-plus-eng.pdf; accessed: 8.06.2016.
- Ponirou P., Diomidous M., Kalokairinou A., Mantas J., Tsimahidou C., Tzavara C., Health related quality of life in a sample of older people who are members of Open Care Centers for the Elderly, "Studies in Health Technology and Informatics" 2014; 202 (Integrating Information Technology and Management for Quality of Care): 269-272.
- Mariolis A., Foscolou A., Tyrovolas S., Piscopo S., Valacchi G., Tsakountakis N. et al., Successful aging among elders living in the Mani Continental Region vs. Insular Areas of the Mediterranean: the MEDIS Study, "Aging and Disease" 2016; 27: 7 (3): 285-294.